150 liter Stainless stock pots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bradsbrew said:
My second one has arrived this morning. Made a false bottom yesterday. I am hoping to give a 2 vessel 120L no sparge brew a go over the weekend.
portable instant gas hot water heater. preheat strike water with HWS then adjust with RIMS. I can get 80c out of mine, so fly sparge until you have boil volume or target gravity. 2V+HWS

I do have a 100L HLT as well but I am interested in trying a no sparge. So basically I will fill the kettle with water, turn the rambo to full and also recirculate through the HERMS at 5 degrees above mash in (56*). Once it hits its mash in temp i will send it to the mash tun and mix in the grain. Once the multi step mash is completed I will send it all to the kettle for the boil.

Both the kettle and mashtun have its own pump to make things a bit easier.

booargy said:
portable instant gas hot water heater. preheat strike water with HWS then adjust with RIMS. I can get 80c out of mine, so fly sparge until you have boil volume or target gravity. 2V+HWS
Like this? Link

bradsbrew said:
My second one has arrived this morning. Made a false bottom yesterday. I am hoping to give a 2 vessel 120L no sparge brew a go over the weekend.
Hey Brad, any chance you can share the details on the false bottom you built, maybe a pic? :)

Cheers,
Richard

5150 said:
Hey Brad, any chance you can share the details on the false bottom you built, maybe a pic? :)

Cheers,
Richard
I second that, I am in the process of working out the design for one too.

Will post a pic up later, it does involve cutting the bottom off a 20L bigW pot.

Can you Take a heap of photos Brad? I am looking At doing The same sort of setup.

Will be keen on seeing how your efficiency and hewting times go Brad. Assuming you are using a big ass gas burner for heating.

Had 2 of the 88L pots delivered this morning, moving from biab to 3v (slowly)

Internal measurements 46.5 x 51 cm = 86.5 ish L

Wall thickness is 1.34 according to micrometer - and then taking into account the bend radius of the pot and the diameter of the micrometer probe lands it exactly on 1.2mm wall.

They're very shiny :)

Robbo2234 said:
Can you Take a heap of photos Brad? I am looking At doing The same sort of setup.
Yep intend to.

lukiferj said:
Will be keen on seeing how your efficiency and hewting times go Brad. Assuming you are using a big ass gas burner for heating.
Ramp times through the HERMS is my biggest concern. I have a couple of ideas that will cover that if they are too slow on the trial brew.
1. Dont put all the water in for a full mash, then just heat and transfer from the kettle at step up time and mash out time.
2. Use the overside element to help the HERMS.
The Rambo handled the 100L batch (final volume) but did take a while to get to a boil, so I will use the overside element to get it to the boil quicker.

Cheers

5150 said:
Thanks QldKev, I'll need to get a second burner, so I'll be looking out for a Nasa. :) Cheers Sully for the info, did you but it from the same place I linked? Also in general is a thin base a big problem for the kettle? Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
My BK doesn't have a sandwich bottom and I'm very happy with it. Take a look at this from Spike Brewing here:

Q: DO YOU SELL TRI-BOTTOM KETTLES / DO THESE KETTLES HAVE AN ALUMINUM SANDWICHED CORE?
A: No! We actually used to sell the 'tri-bottom' kettles but after testing and customer feedback we stopped selling them. Somewhere the rumor got started that the tri-bottom kettle is the way to go for brewing; it's not true. Based on our testing, our 1000's of satisfied customers and other companies that offer kettles we've concluded that a tri-bottom kettle is more marketing ploy than functionality. They cost more and weigh much more and provide no real benefit.

I know in mine using just Nev's HERMS setup and my March 809 on full flow I can only get 0.4c per minute ramp rates on a 112L batch. I can't remember what HERMS coil you have, would it handle two elements?

QldKev said:
I know in mine using just Nev's HERMS setup and my March 809 on full flow I can only get 0.4c per minute ramp rates on a 112L batch. I can't remember what HERMS coil you have, would it handle two elements?
I have a 2200w kettle element in my Herm-it vessel. I am thinking I will build another one with 2 kettle elements, has anyone tried this? And what results did you get?

My biggest issue is power. I'm still not a 100% sure I am going to be brewing, I had a look at sharing some factory space with a mate, but I'm just not to sure how that will work. Need to move into a house with a big garage. B)

lael said:
Just for fun :)

using the 150L as the outer and a craftbrewer 100L as the inner... can get some awesome braumiser volumes ;)
What pray-tell are going to bring 120l to the boil with, I'd be thinkin 2x 15amp required minimum

Lol. No idea. I have no need for those volumes. Just got me thinking it would be epic. :)

lael said:
Lol. No idea. I have no need for those volumes. Just got me thinking it would be epic. :)
now you have me thinking :lol:

Latest posts

Back