150 liter Stainless stock pots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought these a couple of months back 'just to see' due to the price and I had two MASSIVE pots turn up (It states 50L and 45L on the ad.). The larger one is ~ 100L and the smaller one is ~ 70L (As per the sizes they state at the bottom). Thin walls and bottom but I run a 3 ring burner on them no probs without scorching. I am building some custom made stainless vessels at the moment but these are working for the interim.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-COMMERCIAL-50L-45L-STAINLESS-STEEL-STOCK-POT-SAUCE-SET-/171200958979?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Restaurant_Catering_Equipment&hash=item27dc5f5203&_uhb=1

The price would definitely let the budget conscious brewer move into larger batches.

What is the quality like of these pots? I've looked at them and been very interested...

lael said:
What is the quality like of these pots? I've looked at them and been very interested...
They are pretty thin Lael. I use the larger one for a HLT and the smaller one as my boil kettle. They heat up quick which is good, but i'm not sure about longevity of them!

I bought one of these, they are 95 liters, offered them $150 and they took it straight away.
Pot is made by SOGA and is solid stainless with a really thick base, they say its a commercial pot and I believe them.
Dunno much about stock pots but I am really pleased with it, it is very heavy. The dimensions on the listing are correct 50 x 50 for my pot.

Hope this helps
Rossco

Reckon a mm thick? less? Have you put any holes in them?

Hi micrometer says more than 1mm, obviously not all the same thickness I think it is 1.25mm but it may be 1.5mm. Difficult to measure because the lip has a bur from the manufacture process, definitely over 1mm. I intend to have a 3/4in stainless drain welded into the bottom and I am sure it will be fine to tig weld. Have not drilled it yet, will do so in the next few days.

Rossco.

Ok Guys, So no response from my email inquiry so I gave them a call this morning. Basically from what I found out is that they are not sandwich based. The guy I spoke to called the supplier and they said they are thick stainless and the same construction all over. So I'm a little nervous about a thin bottom pot and scorching, or is this an unfounded fear???

I found these 150L Stockpot which sound great but the sale has ended, I called them and asked if they would be getting them back in or if they were able to tell me the manufacturer to try and source them and no real surprise, they were no help at all just saying keep and eye on the website and that stockpots come up a couple of times a year.

The Soga pots that 620Rossco sound like they may be an option.

Thanks BradsBrew for taking the leap and I look forward to hearing your review.

Cheers,
Richard

Well I received mine today. What a huge pot.

Looks ok but I want really know until I fire it up tomorrow night when I run a 105L batch though it.

My main concerns are scorching but I am pretty sure it won't be a problem, and also if it will rust. These I won't know until I use it.

As you can see by one of the pics, some of the internal has a dodgy weld on the rolled seam

That's the only bad thing about it really, it is huge though.

I can't really give much more than that at this stage. But will report back when I have used it, which will be to late to return it because it will have a big hole in it.

Sort of dwarfs the 50L mash tun and the 100L kettle doesn't look so big anymore either.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

bradsbrew said:
Well I received mine today. What a huge pot.

Looks ok but I want really know until I fire it up tomorrow night when I run a 105L batch though it.

My main concerns are scorching but I am pretty sure it won't be a problem, and also if it will rust. These I won't know until I use it.

As you can see by one of the pics, some of the internal has a dodgy weld on the rolled seam

That's the only bad thing about it really, it is huge though.

I can't really give much more than that at this stage. But will report back when I have used it, which will be to late to return it because it will have a big hole in it.

Sort of dwarfs the 50L mash tun and the 100L kettle doesn't look so big anymore either.
Certainly looks the part my question to you would be how thin/flimsy are they?
thanks
MB

Hard to say really, i would prefer that it was thicker but it still looks fairly strong.

Before you dill it etc, I would fill it with water and leave it overnight. It will see if there is any rust from poor materials and manufacturing.

bucket brad,don't you have minions for this trivial labour?

MastersBrewery said:
bucket brad,don't you have minions for this trivial labour?
Yes i do, but they would probably want to hop in the pot with the bucket (and they would fit)

The weld looks clean with no pits so should be all right. Cheap and I need one this size. mm

Ok, after a 24hr soak I seem to be getting some discolouration around the base seam.image.jpg

Looked rusty whilst the water was in there.

Back