fermenting in a stainless pot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lael

Reaction score
I've been looking at:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/75653-stainless-fermenters/page-4?hl=%20stainless%20%20fermenters

and am interested in the idea of easily cleaning a fermenter without worries of scratching it etc. And the comments about flavour scalping seem interesting to me.

The sizes of the fermenters look good, but just a little small in terms of volume. I was wondering about the possibility of using a cheap stainless pot, using some silicone hose(put a slice lengthwise along it ) as a seal around the upper rim of the pot, then a perspex lid (let's you see into the fermenter - cut from sheet - ideally it would have clamps like the HBHB ones to pull the 'lid' down onto the seal - just cut out tabs for them to latch onto at points around the circle) on top with a hole and airlock.

Has anyone seen something like:

http://www.restaurantneed.com/50l-stainless-steel-transfering-sauce-pot_p2980.html
or
http://www.restaurantneed.com/50L-70L--Stainless-Steel-Sauce-Pot-With-Cover_p2990.html

in Aus?

Any thoughts? comments?

Don't see why it wouldn't work with 3 toggle latches around the rim, you could run a hole saw through the lid and stick a piece of perspex onto that as a spy hole that is assuming you get a lid.

Clingwrap.

Those SS "milk pots" look the go, also olive oil fustis have had a mention on the forum over the years but I don't know if anyone actually has bought and trialled one.

I have a small (around 6L I think) quality stainless pot that I use for starters. Broken too many erlenmeyers to bother with another.

Essentially I just sit the lid on it with a weight in the fridge as along the journey of its life it has become ever so slightly bent and the lid fit is imperfect. As it's not a perfect seal, CO2 escapes.

It's a miniversion of what you are suggesting and as bribie says - glad would work perfectly fine (or a keg with the release valve locked out.

Obviously you need to either fit a tap or use a siphon (with a keg you could presumably transfer using CO2 to another keg) but that's easy enough. I'm thinking about no chilling and fermenting into a keg rather than cube in the near future.

wide eyed and legless said:
Don't see why it wouldn't work with 3 toggle latches around the rim, you could run a hole saw through the lid and stick a piece of perspex onto that as a spy hole that is assuming you get a lid.
Any suggestions on how to affix the toggle latches to the pot? - that is the one thing I'm unsure about - obviously drilling holes and using stainless rivets negates the easy cleaning aspect...

And whether to try for a plastic tap - handy for bottling wands... (Is is possible to buy one with a nut for the inside of the pot?) or a stainless tap...

You could silver solder the latches on, or if you know some one with a TIG welder, alternatively as manticle suggested is doesn't have to be a airtight seal the CO2 would be allowed to escape via the lid and if you get a pot with a pair of handles just put a bungee strap over the lid.

you could attach the toggles by sweating them on with silver solder

manticle said:
I'm thinking about no chilling and fermenting into a keg rather than cube in the near future.
that's easy, transfer hot wort to keg, purge head space with Co2, attach a sanitary filter to the gas in post via quick disconnect to allow for the vacuum.

When ready to ferment, open lid and insert O2 wand into wort and pitch yeast. Or displace Co2 in headspace with air and shake and roll.
Ideally I'd like to use something like this for oxygen input so the vessel doesn't have to be opened at all, but think it might clog up pretty quickly when left in the vessel.
Either use a spunding valve to ferment under pressure or attach airlock or filter to gas in post.

Ideally you'd shorten the dip tube so you can leave the yeast behind when either transferring to another keg or serving directly from the vessel.

That seems like a great idea.

Once the wort has cooled, would there be any problems with storage do you think (like nc cubes)?

Anyone done something similar?

Rambo said:
Could also use this method to transfer to the new keg for dispensing.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/16907-keg-transfer-made-easy/
That's a given. I do all transfers in and out of kegs via the liquid out post with lid closed.

As for long term storage, as long as you properly purge the headspace with Co2 and remove the filter (close the vessel) after the wort has cooled I don't see a problem.

MastersBrewery said:
you could attach the toggles by sweating them on with silver solder
wide eyed, masters - does silver solder re-melt once it gets hot again? I'm assuming yes - just asking cause it would be handy to be able to have the pots multi - purpose - can heat / boil in them for eg: sparge water etc... then use them later as fermenting vessels...

Florian said:
that's easy, transfer hot wort to keg, purge head space with Co2, attach a sanitary filter to the gas in post via quick disconnect to allow for the vacuum.

When ready to ferment, open lid and insert O2 wand into wort and pitch yeast. Or displace Co2 in headspace with air and shake and roll.
Ideally I'd like to use something like this for oxygen input so the vessel doesn't have to be opened at all, but think it might clog up pretty quickly when left in the vessel.
Either use a spunding valve to ferment under pressure or attach airlock or filter to gas in post.

Ideally you'd shorten the dip tube so you can leave the yeast behind when either transferring to another keg or serving directly from the vessel.
this is awesome - have you done it yet? I guess this is killing two birds with one stone - no chilling, then fermenting under pressure.... I like it... no kegs yet though

lael said:
wide eyed, masters - does silver solder re-melt once it gets hot again? I'm assuming yes - just asking cause it would be handy to be able to have the pots multi - purpose - can heat / boil in them for eg: sparge water etc... then use them later as fermenting vessels...
lael no it does not melt, maybe you are getting confused with soft solder, but I really think a pot with 2 handles and the bungee would e a better solution.

wide eyed and legless said:
lael no it does not melt, maybe you are getting confused with soft solder, but I really think a pot with 2 handles and the bungee would e a better solution.
nope - just no idea - haven't used it before - could have googled I guess :)

edit: I really like a bubbling airlock - call it a weakness ;)

Lael it is the same as you were looking at before, I know the amount is overwhelming but they are business people and negotiating is the key, have a look on Alibaba.com for what Bribie suggested they would probably be a lot cheaper and I would be in a bulk buy.

I usually do double batches, and with all this latest talk of pressurised fermentation I was looking at going to American Sankes if I can find some over the next 12 months or so. (the extra 8L of head space would be handy) As I understand it the cir clip D couple is easier to pull down and refit, which I would need to do at the end of each ferment. Obviously these were made with beer in mind, are just about bullet proof and quality stainless, and when I get bored will polish up a treat!

Latest posts

Back