fermenting in a stainless pot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about stainless fermenters and their advantages over plastic, chiefly the taste. Now I was close to deciding that I needed one or two of these, then another thought came to mind.

I brew with rain water, my rain water is collected and stored in plastic tanks, brewing in stainless now a waste of time? Also if you house is somewhat new your water lines are also possibility plastic, or at least the mains feeding down the street will be.

Interesting thoughts?

Batz

Batz, from what I understand from another thread, it was build up of flavours from previous brews, those flavours having permeated into the plastic. Water has no flavour so no off characteristics being carried a cross.

MastersBrewery said:
Batz, from what I understand from another thread, it was build up of flavours from previous brews, those flavours having permeated into the plastic. Water has no flavour so no off characteristics being carried a cross.
Yes I read that.

Water has flavour all right, we are travelling around in our van ATM. As I said we are on rain water and now using town tap water...yuk!
I can't stand it, how anyone could use this stuff in there beer and not taste off flavours amazes me.

Batz

Hell Batz I would have thought with all the years under your belt you would have had a filter set up by now these are cheap and easy to hook up

MastersBrewery said:
Hell Batz I would have thought with all the years under your belt you would have had a filter set up by now these are cheap and easy to hook up
For brewing or for the van? Brewing with rain water is good for me, I don't need a filter.

In the van my tank is full of or rain water and that we use for drinking, tea, coffee etc. This time I did a hose in and lost all our lovely rain water and therefore had to revert the town water.....poor sods who have to drink this crap.

Batz

Latest posts

Back