Wyeast Shelf Life

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davedoran

Reaction score
Hey,

Question regarding shelf life of wyeast stains. How long should they last if kept in the fridge.
I have a pack of Bav Wh Blend 3056 is the fridge with a manufacture date of 20 Aug 13. Has never left the fridge and is exactly the same as when I got it at the shop.

If it has been treated well and kept in the fridge it should be OK. At 7-8 months old though the viability will be pretty low which means you'll need a starter, preferably with a couple of steps.

I've got a bunch of smack packs that are over a year old that I got for free, as long as I do a starter and step it up slowly, they always fire up just fine

dave doran said:
Hey,

Question regarding shelf life of wyeast stains. How long should they last if kept in the fridge.
I have a pack of Bav Wh Blend 3056 is the fridge with a manufacture date of 20 Aug 13. Has never left the fridge and is exactly the same as when I got it at the shop.
According to Mr. Malty you have 10% viability in that yeast.

I.e. 90% is dead.
I.e. you have a yeast population of roughly 10 billion.

Get your steps on.

Thanks,

Start with 400ml of wort and build her up from there?

This is how I do it.

Smack the pack. Leave. Be patient it may take up to a week(or more) to expand.
Shake it every time you look at it.

This one took 8 days.
IMG_20140228_085620.JPG

Yes it says June 2012.
It works. I got the idea from a very old thread on here. I think back in the day the(Wyeast) yeast packs where not only hard to find but sometimes quite old.
DSC_0081.JPG

JUST DON'T OPEN TILL IT EXPANDS.
I opened one not knowing and it died on the stirplate.
This is that pils.
DSC_0085.JPG

+1.

Be patient, wait until pack expands and culture/ step up the culture size. 400 ml should be OK for your first step. 200-300 ml might be better, and then up by 10X (or less if that's what you need) from there.

Congrats with your yeast choice. I find W3056 to give you plenty of the weizen character you need for the style. I may have even won my first Best Of Show with it. (It was a small comp, IIRC).

Hmmm just saw this thread and am now a little stressed. I had a similar situation, I had a pack of ringwood ale yeast with a production date of 27 Aug 13 in my fridge for a Dr smurtos ttl recipe. I smacked it yesterday and it didn't swell in 5 hours so I pitched it into a 1 litre starter. It's been 17 hours and the glad wrap I have on top swells when shaken but no visible krausen as yet. Have I screwed up bad?

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Mate get another ready.
If it's swelling (the glad rap) you may be alrite but I'm not 100% convinced.
It's definitely under pitched tho.
A addition of some active yeast (or dry)is what I would do.

You mean to the starter?

As a starter addition it should kick and start up. It may take awhile longer than normal tho.

Mickcr250 said:
Hmmm just saw this thread and am now a little stressed. I had a similar situation, I had a pack of ringwood ale yeast with a production date of 27 Aug 13 in my fridge for a Dr smurtos ttl recipe. I smacked it yesterday and it didn't swell in 5 hours so I pitched it into a 1 litre starter. It's been 17 hours and the glad wrap I have on top swells when shaken but no visible krausen as yet. Have I screwed up bad?

no need for krausen - its all good

Being from aug13 it will work. The ringwood in my picture above was nov12 it took awhile but it kicked off.
As for krausen I never get one on my stirplate.
Ross has the rite of it.

No not on a stir plate but I'm giving it a good swirl every half hour or so now and have bumped the fridge up to 24 now so should give it a better chance. It seems to be holding the glad wrap inflated, not just when swirling now so I think its gunna take. Thanks for the help guys

its going already - its fine - stop stressing :)

Proly just let the smakpack swell next time mate. I find that gives me a lot more confidence.

do you think i will need to do another step? batch size is 21L at 1.045 gravity its very hard to guage how much yeast i have it seems everyone has a different idea of yeast viability, i just checked the brewers friend starter calculator and it calculates 0% viability from 4 months old! and then there are people using 12 month old yeast

Latest posts

Back