The moment I knew I needed a brew fridge!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Only1MADMaN

Reaction score
Hey all.

Just a quick “WTF” moment that has lead to the purchase of an Inkbird and a heatbelt, with the purchase of a brew fridge to come.

I wanted to knock over a few lagers just to bulk up my brews and have a few on hand.
I headed to BigW (LHBS is 25 min each way and that’s to the East of me and the West) and picked up a Dark Ale and a European Lager.

I put some filtered water into sterilized 1.25 bottles as well as a 10 Liters in a no name brand brick bottle and placed in the fridge overnight.

Next day I did the usual
Peeled label and placed LME in sink of hot water
3 liters of cold water in the fermenter, 1.7 liters of boiled water.
Mix in DME (BE3)
Add LME mix in
Fill up to 20 liters with the rest of my cold water from the fridge and pitched yeast at 24 degrees Celsius.

At this time I decide to read the inside of the label. As every other brew before (Lager/Dark Ale/ AIPA) has only needed room temperature to ferment I just assumed the Euro Lager would be the same, how wrong I was!
“Let brew ferment for 10 days at between 13-15 degree Celsius” WTF?!
My ice bag trick was never going to get me out of trouble here.

IMG_2955.JPG

I was in too deep, room temp was never ganna cut it, panic set in!
I have a fridge out in the shed and it’s only used for a couple of cartons of soft drinks and the freezer is full of stocked meats and veg. I quickly stripped the fridge, laid some wood at the bottom (tried to sit the fermenter on the plastic shelf and you guessed it....SNAP!) and placed the fermenter in the fridge.

IMG_2962.JPG

So...... it’s in the fridge, I’ve turned the fridge thermostat down to it’s lowest setting and everything looks good.
I have a bit of a routine going with the 10 liter water jug.
About every 4 hours I’ve been filling the 10 liter jug with warm water and placing it in the fridge. This has kept the fridge temp between 12 and 16 degrees Celsius.

So I was told the first thing I should get if I want to brew is a fridge with temperature control.

Lesson learnt.

PS: I have 6 days left on required 10 day fermentation process.........wish me luck!

Does your inkbird have power outlets on it? If so id be plugging the fridge into that with the probe strapped to the fermenter and set your temp through that.
Im not sure how the Inkbird is set up as i use different controllers but thats how I run my fermenting fridge.
Also make sure that you increase the temp up to 17/18 degrees for the last few days to give the beer a diacetyl rest, this lets the yeast consume sugars left over during the lower fermenting temps that can lead to a buttery taste in your beer.
Good luck mate, also keep in mind that a lager also takes longer to bottle condition than an ale.
Let us know how it goes.

Does your inkbird have power outlets on it? If so id be plugging the fridge into that with the probe strapped to the fermenter and set your temp through that.
Im not sure how the Inkbird is set up as i use different controllers but thats how I run my fermenting fridge.
Also make sure that you increase the temp up to 17/18 degrees for the last few days to give the beer a diacetyl rest, this lets the yeast consume sugars left over during the lower fermenting temps that can lead to a buttery taste in your beer.
Good luck mate, also keep in mind that a lager also takes longer to bottle condition than an ale.
Let us know how it goes.

Hi there.

Currently I’ve ordered one. It should be here in the next 2 weeks.
It has hot and cold side plugs.
The current fridge can’t be used as it the second family fridge but was the only option I have to try and get this brew within temp and hopefully save it from failing.

I’m looking for a fridge to brew in now. This brew will be touch and go as I don’t have any way of controlling it.

[emoji41][emoji1360]

I did my research and bought the fridge + inkbird first. The coldest area of my house in summer is about 28° and my tap water often 30+.
It's already stressful enough worrying about infections and everything else that can go wrong in home brewing. Knowing that my wort is going sit bang on 18° no matter the weather puts my mind at ease.
For the low cost of $100 for 2nd hand fridge + inkbird, its well worth it.

I did my research and bought the fridge + inkbird first. The coldest area of my house in summer is about 28° and my tap water often 30+.
It's already stressful enough worrying about infections and everything else that can go wrong in home brewing. Knowing that my wort is going sit bang on 18° no matter the weather puts my mind at ease.
For the low cost of $100 for 2nd hand fridge + inkbird, its well worth it.

Yeah. I’ve only been brewing 3 months so all is new to me.

I’ve been able to brew in room temp pretty easy but this is the first brew that i bit off more than I can chew. LOL

Back