Wyeast Shelf Life

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
Is that with glycerine for freezing?
No mate I don't have a dedicated deep freeze. All my freezers are linked to a fridge (over under). I've read up on freezing with glycerine but didn't think I could freeze the yeastes fast enough and keep them frozen.
I've placed freezing in the to hard basket (for now).
As well I want to do slants (my wife's a pathologist by trade) but just can't commit to the riggers of it.

The above picture is of farmed Yeast from packs over a year old.
They are very freshly packed (5-10min) so no settling as yet.

Just after a bit of reassurance - I smacked a packet of 1272 in October last year - most of it went into a DSGA starter, but I kept 30ml aside in a sample jar which had been in the fridge ever since. I intend to step this up for an IPA next weekend (OG 1.062).
The pack was dated 19/09 (and smacked on 15/10). I assume I'll get some activity out of the yeast, but don't want to pitch something so mutated that it'll **** my beer - should I just buy a new pack?

It won't be mutated. Can't be. It's never been used as I read it. It probably won't be ready by next weekend for an IPA. Too much growth/steps required from a 6 month old 30mL sample. I'd get a new pack, but there is nothing wrong stepping your left over sample up. It'll just take more time than you have.

Back