Windows 7, Should We Bother?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Fortunately I missed out on getting Windows ME, and similarly I have managed to avoid Vista. I find XP to be an excellent system that does everything I need. Has anyone tried Windows 7 and is there any compelling reason for the majority of people to upgrade? I have no interest whatsoever in touch screens as I am too lazy to lift my hand off the mouse other than to grab a glass. I still use Windows Explorer tree view for everything I need to do and don't see why I should totally retrain myself just to make a buck for Microsoft.

windows_xp_shot.JPG

Has anyone tried the new Operating System yet?

Love the kittens folder :lol:

Nope, there's no reason to upgrade to 7 if you have no problems with XP.

If you have no problems with Vista (lol sure...), you'll probably end up getting much better performance out of 7.

I'm on Windows 7 on my home desktop as I needed to format my PC (it was full of shit), and I had some minor hardware compatibility issues with XP (I probably could've fixed these but meh). No issues with 7 so far at all.

i want to see whats in the movies folder. xxx?

no idea about windows7. if XP meets your needs then why upgrade,

Windows XP at home for me all the way.

Maybe Windows 7 after a few more releases, and patches, and bug fixing, etc has occurred.

I have my home PC set to the old 95 style still... :D

2c.

If you have no problems with Vista (lol sure...)

We have 2 laptops and two desktops in this house that all have Vista on them since late 2007, 2 x Ultimate and 2 x Home Premium. We have never had any issues with Vista outside of software compatability issues with the 64bit. I've always wondered whether we were just damn lucky, or it was blown out of proportion?

We have 2 laptops and two desktops in this house that all have Vista on them since late 2007, 2 x Ultimate and 2 x Home Premium. We have never had any issues with Vista outside of software compatability issues with the 64bit. I've always wondered whether we were just damn lucky, or it was blown out of proportion?

I have Vista Home on the laptop I use at uni. I installed Ubuntu as a dual boot about 2 weeks after I got it. Since then, which was about a year ago, I've booted up Vista twice. Vista was pretty damned slow on my laptop, even though it is (was!) pretty high-end.

I guess I really shouldn't talk much smack about Vista as I don't have first-hand experience with issues related to it, apart from sluggish performance, but there's possibly a reason why it was rubbished so much, and the release of Win 7 was greatly accelerated (though this could be for profit purposes!)

Maybe I need to put W7 on one machine just to see if the performance I'm used to is actuall sluggish in comparison... :blink:

If XP does the job, why bother changing?

Having said that, Win 7 offers the same dynamic/intuitive flavours of Office 2007, which for the average user can make life easier.

Otherwise, Ubuntu is hard to beat if you just want web/email/docs/photos and the installer is mostly dumbed down. Get a few large HDs, tuner card/s, install MythTV and you have yourself a very flexible PVR.

We're actually running a media box on Windows 7 at the moment, using MediaPortal software, it runs pretty well!

I've been running 7 for a few weeks and haven't had any issues at all, in fact I think Microsoft have got it right this time.

Having said that if XP is working for you then I don't see the need to use 7.

I had to format my lappy so decided it was the perfect time to give it a go and thus far Im very happy with it

cliffo

I heard XP handles tasks differently to Vista (and 7 I'd assume) using up more memory where as the newer OSs free up the ram a bit so should be faster...

All the extra gimmics of the newer OSs are probably the cause of the sluggish performance

Any tech heads out there like to comment?

As far as I know the biggest performance benefit will come from moving to a 64 bit system so you can use a heap more ram than the max 2gb in a 32bit system

will have win7 on a new laptop in a few weeks. needed a new laptop anyway so its good timing.
have used vista on a desktop at home a bit and havent had any problems with it. probably dont use it often enough but could see it working really well. used the trial win7 a few times and it looks good and seemed to work as well as vista though with limited use. i did like the new task bar functions and 'pinning' programs and all that so should be a bit of fun.

I've got Vista on my laptop, I have no problems with it- admittedly, I really only use it for word processing and internet browsing, and occasionally playing warcraft 3 (which really isn't a taxing program).

The other day I installed service pack 2, which interestingly reinstated the internet explorer shortcuts on my quick launch bar and the start menu.

EDIT: just after posting here, I got an email in my hotmail account titled "Get ready for Windows 7". Coincidence? Yes.

XP to Windows 7 is quite a leap as you will have to discover where to find all the location of things to get done what you used to.

It does run faster than Vista but all comparisons are notoriously missing the comparison to the speed of XP which is a lot faster than both which is understandable for 10 year old code with patches.

if XP works for you then keep it, keep running it. If Microsoft drops support in 2012 and you suddenly discover its still running great for you, keep it.

7 is a great sell to Vista folks but not as much to XP folks.

7 initially ran very poorly for me as in you could literally count to 5 seconds before any program you clicked on appeared on the screen. Then I discovered it did not have all the intel chipset drivers so I had to go get those (lots of work). But after installing a boat load of intel drivers I rebooted and it is now snappier but not instant, still about 2 seconds but thats better than before. This is rather modern system so I wonder what support would be like if I had old PC hardware?

I have not run it much as there is nothing compelling yet for me in there. I still have XP and I still have Ubuntu and of course the Mac OS X and spend most of my time in those. 7

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I was torn on whether to upgrade to 7 or not. My decision was made for me, Mac is where I'm heading, some great new gear out now. Can't wait. Sorry bill, Steve gets my next allotment of tech spend.

Go on Bribie,

You've been farting around the issues for ages.

Install Ubuntu. You know you want to...

I was torn on whether to upgrade to 7 or not. My decision was made for me, Mac is where I'm heading, some great new gear out now. Can't wait. Sorry bill, Steve gets my next allotment of tech spend.

Welcome to "The Dark Side"

I have 5 machines in my house running OSX. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Welcome to "The Dark Side"

I have 5 machines in my house running OSX. Wouldn't have it any other way!
flash back to going AG... hope the results are as rewarding.

Latest posts

Back