windows 10 upgrade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaeld16

Reaction score
so I've finally bought a new laptop after not owning one for several years, just haven't needed too. currently using windows 8, quite happy with it does everything I need but im constantly bombarded with ads to upgrade to windows 10, now I have bugger all know how with these things and I seem to remember some negative things from other people being said about windows 10 when it first came out but it didn't concern me at the time so didn't really pay attention to what was said. this is where I come for all my problems so anyone with some knowledge on these things can enlighten me on whether I should get my limited time free upgrade (been limited time for quite a while now.) cheers.

Have you searched Windows 10 on this forum as there has been quite a lot of discussion on the subject. I have upgraded a desktop and laptop, with few issues. My desktop runs 2 monitors which was an issue to begin with but now ok.

funny that couldn't find anything on search function using laptop have been having trouble with that. allways found the search function using phone brilliant. will check on my phone....when I can find it. been using the mobile version of ahb for years now and have grown quite used to that version.

Ran Win10 at work and wiresharked it on its own seperate active internetweb thing connection I use for testing at work...

Interesting.....

I would say well worth the change. I always felt win8 was disjointed - 10 has a more consistent feel.

I have loaded the upgrade on 15 or so machines without any problems (other then in early stage with search playing up - now sorted by MS

Ducatiboy stu said:
Ran Win10 at work and wiresharked it on its own seperate active internetweb thing connection I use for testing at work...

Interesting.....
yes obviously

Been using 10 since it was first introduced July 2015 better than 8 definately. If you are tech savvy should be O.K. otherwise can be a nightmare. Tons of features not required so need to be disabled or turned off. Spyware included can be mastered with third party software. I find the constant updates not much fun some weeks an improvement then next update screws something up which takes a few weeks to get fixed. If I had a real choice would wait until July 2016 last 'free' month in current offer.

I have an older desktop not connected to the internet that runs windows 7 like a dream in comparison.

Don't really like the way the MS force you to update without huge effort to opt out.

Despite my post on the other thread, I've upgraded and find it's doing everything that Win 7 did but with less hassle.
For example when downloading or transferring a big file, 7 would display a progress bar such as "20 minutes remaining" that would vary wildly according to what was happening on the system then hang at "5 seconds remaining" for ages before finally deciding that it had done the job. 10 actually gives you a progress bar 80% 65% etc etc which is what 7 should have ******* done anyway.

I also like the reinstated start menu and the way 10, on installation, preserves all your files and desktop, as opposed to previous upgrades to new Windows versions that simply wiped your machine and put old files in a "Windows Old" directory to find them for yourself.

Very pleased for the stuff I do on PCs - as opposed to my 4 Android devices - nowadays.

ed: I've owned Windows

xp

and reckon this is the best yet.

I can install Linux with a sexy desktop and run & use it on an 8gb stick with ease .........

Ducatiboy stu said:
I can install Linux with a sexy desktop and run & use it on an 8gb stick with ease .........
wow very impressive huh? :unsure:

hellbent said:
wow very impressive huh? :unsure:
And FREE too much improved lately.

Win !0 is never going to be small with PC Tablets and Phones to be catered for with lots of fancy features that many will never use.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I can install Linux with a sexy desktop and run & use it on an 8gb stick with ease ........
I have installed a few distributions over the past ten years hoping like hell the they would replace Windoze as a complete desktop OS that is plug and play with most devices and has no need to be driven from a Command Prompt interface ever. Mandrake, Red Hat, Ubuntu, I think the last one was Lime? If you have found such a distro then please can you share. Not being sarcastic, simply and genuinely curious.
Thanks

My experience with Linux is that while it's great for "customising" its not so good for getting it done. There always seems to be something that it won't do or will only do if I put in an amount of effort way beyond ...

But is Uncle Billy's spawn muck me about with cost/licencing or any of a number of other things it'll be Mint for me or maybe Ubuntu or ....

Aamcle

I have never had any major problems. Linux is much better now than a few years ago

Even steam has got its act together with Linux

Its security still shits all over windows

Ducatiboy stu said:
Its security still shits all over windows
Don't forget, to keep it running at peak performance, you may need to reboot it every 12-18 months. Whether it needs it or not.

WarmerBeer said:
Don't forget, to keep it running at peak performance, you may need to reboot it every 12-18 months. Whether it needs it or not.
Yeah, I really hate that having to reboot it.

Seems to work for windows....

Also hate that it doesnt consume disk space at rapid knots

My biggest hate is the lack of original media, back in the day when things started to get too bad I could just reformat and do a clean rebuild but not now :(

As far as I'm concerned being able to rebuild is one of Linux's advantages, I know if something screws really badly, hardware or software I'm not going to be begging to have my system reactivated by a MS corporate employee. What you've changed the MB and the Drive Errr.. Well it's a new PC so that will be $X00's please!

Aamcle

Linux CLI shits all over M$ CMD prompt

I find Win10 behind Apple OS in terms of " How the F^^$# do I get to xxxxx "

Stupid ******* Metro

Latest posts

Back