Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first taste of an Irish Red that has been in the keg for about 10 days now. Carbonation is up nicely for the style and I am pretty happy with the colour. Aroma is subtly malty without being in your face and no hop aroma present. Pretty clean tasting with no distinctive estery or hop flavours just a nice malt backing with decent head retention. Overall not too bad should be a bit of a crowd pleaser as its a kind of bland style afterall :p

Irish_Red_II.JPG

Looks the business Rook...........Yum!!

I second that motion and raise ya one screwbag :)

Must do one of these myself soon. Its my favorite style as it warms up and im getting sick of winter drinking dark ales.

cheers

I second that motion and raise ya one screwbag :)

Must do one of these myself soon. Its my favorite style as it warms up and im getting sick of winter drinking dark ales.

cheers

I always throw in a pale beer for every 2 dark ales...too much dark beers is too much!

me too hence the Kolsch thats chillin ready for the filter :)

1st AG German Pils. 100% Wey Pils, Tettnager, Hallertau and Saaz. 3470
Forgot the finings on this one, so the clarity has suffered, I'm not complaining though.
There's not much to hide flaws behind with these beers...
Cheers to Screwy for the advice :icon_cheers:

109_0518.JPG

A nice drinking CAP

View attachment 47125

Rook

Gotta be filtered rook but an absolutely excellent looking beer. :super:
I WILL get a filter one of these days but in the meantime the gelatine method makes for a poor imitation.

Tony.
Drinking my latest Roggenbier (33% Rye) ATVM & was going to post a pic but alas, the camera battery is dead. :( :eek:
Love those Rodgers! :icon_drool2:

But to keep this thread on topic here's a pic of a Rodger (51% rye) of mine from way back.
0118_Roggenbier_in_Front_of_Tony__s.JPG

TP

Gotta be filtered rook but an absolutely excellent looking beer.

I WILL get a filter one of these days but in the meantime the gelatine method makes for a poor imitation.

Tony.
Drinking my latest Roggenbier (33% Rye) ATVM & was going to post a pic but alas, the camera battery is dead. :( :eek:

But to keep this thread on topic here's a pic of a Rodger (51% rye) of mine from way back.
View attachment 47127

TP

If that is the same beer as the keg you had at the swap. :icon_drool2:

If that is the same beer as the keg you had at the swap. :icon_drool2:

No mate.
That is an earlier 51%'er.
Will post the swap one (33%) when the camera battery recharges.
A late (forgive me) thanks to you & Anna for hosting the Christmas-in-July in most difficult circumstances. :beer:

TP
PS --- Love Oz but good to see Samoa give us a touch-up in the International Rugger-Buggers game just finished. Absolutely great for Rugby\Rugby League dominance of football codes in this country. ;)
BUT WAIT for all the repercussions what with those southern bastards blaming the inclusion of so many Qld Reds
PPS -- IT'S HARD TO BE HUMBLE WHEN YOU'RE A QUEENSLANDER. :beer:

and i got a run in the background Pete :)

Rook....... how much corn did you use?

All my CAP's end up so clear its not funny. here is one i did a while ago, the clarity is amazing!

Love this style.

I use 25% flaked maize....... Ross, expect a maize order soon, im keen :)

CAP2Large.jpg

1st AG German Pils. 100% Wey Pils, Tettnager, Hallertau and Saaz. 3470
Forgot the finings on this one, so the clarity has suffered, I'm not complaining though.
There's not much to hide flaws behind with these beers...
Cheers to Screwy for the advice :icon_cheers:

View attachment 47126

It will clear, it's a babe John, give it some lagering time :lol: Sure is an honest lager, Pils Malt and Noble Hops, like you say nowhere to hide flaws.

Screwy

Just for those like me who were struggling with the acronym of CAP = classic american pilsner.

Some cracking photos there guys.

It will clear, it's a babe John, give it some lagering time :lol: Sure is an honest lager, Pils Malt and Noble Hops, like you say nowhere to hide flaws.

Screwy

I know, my lack of patience has got the better of me :rolleyes:

art_lagerboy_whatsthematter_800x_preview.jpg

Amazing how we change hey? Brew a lager or pilsner.....oh no !, now we find it's not that easy to brew a really good pils. It's a challenge worth embarking on, I for one have been chasing it for several years.
it's a bit like brewing a Aussie mega swill.....oh who would want to...oh who can really do it well ?

Gotta be filtered rook but an absolutely excellent looking beer. :super:

Tony.

View attachment 47127

TP

Hay Pete, i have never filtered a beer and never will, let it cc for 3 - 4 weeks and it comes out good enough.

Must give a Roggenbier a try one day

Tony, i used 20% corn

Rook

This what you get by pouring a 2.8% mild onto a 8% english mild. The mild sat on top for most of the glass, so I ended up with a glass of mild with an IPA chaser.

Cheers

P1050257.JPG

Back