Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is some speculation about the brew dog recipes that just got released, but a lot of their beers seem to be fermented a little higher.

I think as home brewers we have a tendency to under pitch sometimes. Maybe this is more the issue??

A little off topic I know.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457168765.996632.jpg shit pic but it's a 7.3% centennial cascade IPA. Need to empty the keg for the Devils brown ale (6.66%) aka Janet's . I thought there was only a few schooners left, turning into a good night. Glad my day was productive today Coz tomorrow ain't looking good.

I like the shit pic so much Kingy I think I'm going to print off a copy and eat it! What's with the leaf blower in the brewery? A new method of adding oxygen to the wort?

lobedogg said:
Pratty, pretty keen to give this malt a go. Did you mash high?
Hi, from memory it was at 66c for 60mins. Used 007 dry English to attenuate more and cripser finish, still got great malt character. I was aiming more for a hoppy style, would be good at higher temps in a mild or amber ale.

Strong Amber ale with Maris Otter and a touch of crystal and choc.

Mashed at 55C for 10, 65C for 60.

Magnum (30 IBUs- boil) and Bramling Cross (20 IBUs- cubed).

2hr boil. I also took out a few separate 3L portions and reduced down to 1L, then added back.

Wy 1968, starting at 17C and moving to 22C by .5C per 12 hrs (ish).

Lovely caramel character with a good bit of body left behind by the slightly lazy yeast.

image.jpg

Came out a bit heady as the taps were warm but this is my IPA which is the best beer I've ever made and as good as anything I've bought off the shelf. It's a cracker.

Pale malt, bit of crystal, tiny little bit of carafa spec ii for colour, and 200g of simcoe in the boil, 50g of simcoe dry hopped.

1458353288956.jpg

welly2 said:
Came out a bit heady as the taps were warm but this is my IPA which is the best beer I've ever made and as good as anything I've bought off the shelf. It's a cracker.
Pale malt, bit of crystal, tiny little bit of carafa spec ii for colour, and 200g of simcoe in the boil, 50g of simcoe dry hopped.
Fkn love Simcoe!! What was the hopping schedule with the boil additions Welly?

Anchor steam beer clone, after less than two weeks in the bottle not a bad drop but not fully carbed yet. Not far off the original and pretty bloody happy for a first cut. Fermented using M54 california lager yeast at 18... recipe from brewing classic styles.
With another week or two in the bottle should be unreal....

1458370801425.jpg

Pratty1 said:
Fkn love Simcoe!! What was the hopping schedule with the boil additions Welly?
Yeah! It's bloody good. Had a few simcoe IPAs in the past but first time brewing with it. The aroma is out of this world! Did 60, 20, 5 and 0 minute additions with 50g at each. Not sure why, just thought I'd try it out and it worked well!

Rogers clone. Maybe I should contact the brewery to give them some tips on head retention.
med_gallery_7015_1311_13070.jpg

Are you sure the glass was rinsed clean?

The colour is spot on though. How was the side by side??

Pratty1 said:
Are you sure the glass was rinsed clean?

The colour is spot on though. How was the side by side??
Most Rogers I've had come out like that (the one on the right). Not complaining though, the taste is always first rate.

Coodgee said:
At what point does a DSGA cease to be a DSGA?

Pratty1 said:
Hahahah, totally agree.

If it doesn't use Amarillo or the correct yeast it's not a DSGA.

Kumamoto_Ken said:
Good question.

In my defence I was following the recipe posted on another website by the good Dr himself here.
The only difference between mine and his 'current and favourite variation' was that I used Vic Secret instead of Victoria, which I couldn't source.

Edit: so if I should call it something else I am more than happy to.
i've asked that same question before. doesn't bug me when people say DSGA and change the recipe, but then...how is it a DSGA? just curious i suppose. isn't every beer a DSGA then? if not, why not?

a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

earle said:
Rogers clone. Maybe I should contact the brewery to give them some tips on head retention.
med_gallery_7015_1311_13070.jpg
Any chance you would mind sharing the recipe? It looks to goods, hopefully tastes just as good!

Latest posts

Back