Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mosaic and Galaxy Ale freshly kegged @ 4.4% while watching the storm go past on a sunny day

1454298378891.jpg

OK, Black n' Tan, or rather Black n' Blacker...

Before:
Before.jpeg
RIS on the left, Wee Heavy on the right

After:
After.jpeg

By some great gift of Godallahbuddhaciva I have ended up with a half keg of RIS - aged 9 months in the keg - and a full keg of Barrel Aged Wee Heavy (THANK YOU YOB and the 2015 Winter Swap cube). The Barrel Aged had about 3 months in the barrel.

So what does a man do but mix them? Sweet Jesus, the red-wine-drinker's beer, tobacco, leather, raspberry, vegetal, Black Betty's brown sugartit, caramel, souryness delight. Just drank a pint and reallllllly want another, but my wife and I have a daycare and somehow I have to manage that on my own tomorrow while watching the Super Bowl. (You can take the Yank to a better country, but you can't take the Super Bowl out of the Yank.)

Yeah, so a totally wrong Satan's Black n' Tan? Go to boys. It's the bomb.

You'll be crawling home again, oh wait your already home.. Kick on then.

My recent Double IPA - first pint last night while cubing/cleaning up.

Lupilin Shift IIPA

8.2% Abv with a fucktun of hops (beersmith calculated about 265ibu)

100g Warrior @ 90mins (145ibu)
5mls Hopshot @ 60mins (55ibu)
56g each Amarillo, Citra & Centennial @ 10mins (65ibu)

56g each Chinook & Centennial Whirlpooled
56g each Chinook & Centennial Dry Hopped 5days

:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

A good balanced resin flavour with bittering, slight dry finish, not too dry. the warrior doesn't linger due to teh low co-humulone, pretty happy with this one :super:

WP_20160210_003.jpg

WP_20160210_005.jpg

Pratty1 said:
My recent Double IPA - first pint last night while cubing/cleaning up.

Lupilin Shift IIPA

8.2% Abv with a fucktun of hops
Is that a metric fucktun or a strange yank measurement?

re-stump
re-floor
re-plenish

fruity ale, gladdy ale malt, some sheppards delight and a tiny bit of carared to use it up...35ibu. 5.3% us-o5 and notto mix @ 4:1 finished off with 3g/l cascade dry-hopped in the keg
keg is pouring a foamy head which i'll have to work on but it's all good

droid said:
re-stump
re-floor
re-plenish

fruity ale, gladdy ale malt, some sheppards delight and a tiny bit of carared to use it up...35ibu. 5.3% us-o5 and notto mix @ 4:1 finished off with 3g/l cascade dry-hopped in the keg
keg is pouring a foamy head which i'll have to work on but it's all good
Sounds great. Can I get more details on the recipe, I'd be keen to have a crack at that, have all those malts etc.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1455343228.640082.jpg

American Pale Ale. Marris Otter and Citra. Im fiddling around with my reg trying to get it to pour nicely myself Droid. First keg ever! Woohoo [emoji106][emoji481][emoji481]

@ pauly ~ sure mate, the little fella had just hit me up for backyard cricket, i'll post it up for ya later eh

feck, half pissed - went to pm you instead pauly but couldn't easily edit so here it is in all it's naked glory...

*** shit it's got nearly 7% munich in it too haha

kaleidoscope spider Jan 2016 APA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 66 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 77 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.044 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
Source: jonny tew
Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
ABV (standard):
5.29%
IBU (tinseth):
SRM (morey):
Fermentables

gladfield ale 89%
sheppards delight 3.4%
Munich 6.8%
CaraRed 0.7%

20 g Columbus Pellet 15.7 Boil 60 min 12.76
20 g Columbus Pellet 15.7 Boil 20 min 7.73
20 g Columbus Pellet 15.7 Whirlpool at 95 °C 0 min 4.76
20 g chinook Pellet 12.3 Whirlpool at 95 °C 0 min 3.73
20 g galaxy Pellet 13.9 Whirlpool at 95 °C 0 min 4.21
40 g Cascade Pellet 7 Whirlpool at 95 °C 0 min 4.24
Hops Summary
Amount Variety Type AA
40 g Cascade Pellet 7
20 g chinook Pellet 12.3
60 g Columbus Pellet 15.7
20 g galaxy Pellet 13.9
Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
32 L Temperature 66 C 60 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 2.5 L/kg
Yeast
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Attenuation (avg):
77%
Flocculation:
High
Optimum Temp:
13.9 - 21.1 °C
Starter:
Yes
Fermentation Temp:
18 °C

-
Notes
12hrs later no blow off pressure yet - some small krausen so check again in 12 hrs. looks to be a lovely red colour. not sure what hop utilisation I got with whirpool as I left it for about 10mins before racking but it took 20 minutes to transfer 20ltrs at a time so hopefully the bitterness is there to offset the Turkish delight but then 3.4% isn't too high. <edit> 12/01/16 been pumping hard for the last 48 hours no probs
16/1/16 down to 1011 tasting great, going away on the 18th for a week so might drop the yeast on the 17th.
Never got around to dumping yeast, will transfer today to kegs (25/1/15) tastes fantastic and possibly the best yet!

13/02/16
i wouldn't go too high with the mash, i think i got a bit high and it's a little sweet/cloying, the sheppards delight is friggin sweet...or friable or whatever the hell it is
i wouldn't just use cascade as a stand alone 3g/l dry-hop again a bit of citra or mosaic, galaxy, simcoe - something else from the APA range, maybe 25% but it's personal taste, the next one is in the fridge and is from the same brew but with 25% Nelson Sauvin 75% mosaic - can't go wrong with that

cheers big ears

<edit> and the yeast was slurry @ around 75% us 05 and 25% danstar nottingham

Cheers Droid, looks great. I've had a fair few of Feral's Karma Citra, finally got to try it. Plus a few Rogers, so probably not far behind you.

Irish Red.

First one of these, and won't be the last I brew. Missy being a pest in the background, bless her little socks.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1455441404.396891.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1455441444.696822.jpg

Mr No Tips AABC winning hef. By me. Only fermented using 3068 insted of WLP 300 cos that's all I had at hand.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/84291-experimental-hefeweizen-three-way/

Re kindled my interest in proper wheat's as I've been getting slack and doing the Merican bastardization versions of late.
Followed the mashing regime and temps as near as I could. If you brew this, do as he says and you'll have a cracker of a weizen.
More and moreish. Even from the incorrect glass.

DSC_6818_zpsciiryt1u.jpg

Back