Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pratty1 said:
It's not just you KK, too many people say DSGA and use different hops and yeast.....bugs me.
Don't see why it should. The recipe in the database must be very different from the original given the comments in the 48 pages of the discussion thread, the good doctor gives various versions here and elsewhere, there's nowhere in the discussion thread that I can find where the given recipe comes into being, and everyone seems to have their own version.

Oh wait, maybe I do.

I did DSGA rye version with Cascade and US05. Was the beer of the day at XMAS. Balance.

Having one or two of my red ales today. It's been in the keg since 8/1. Also 13 stubbies were bottled from the leftovers. The kegged portion is tasting better; I tried a stubbie of it earlier. Normally I ferment this recipe with US-05 but this batch I decided to use Wy1318 London Ale III yeast in it, just for something different. It has definitely made a difference in the flavour, bit more of the malt influence coming through which I'm enjoying.

Not sure why the photo went sideways but whatever...

IMG_0964.JPG

American Amber

I thought this was mostly mosaic, but going back to my notes it's only on the dry hop.. Definitely dominating but tasting great.

aviary_1453627700584.jpg

Rocker1986 said:
Having one or two of my red ales today. It's been in the keg since 8/1. Also 13 stubbies were bottled from the leftovers. The kegged portion is tasting better; I tried a stubbie of it earlier. Normally I ferment this recipe with US-05 but this batch I decided to use Wy1318 London Ale III yeast in it, just for something different. It has definitely made a difference in the flavour, bit more of the malt influence coming through which I'm enjoying.

Not sure why the photo went sideways but whatever...

After being away camping for the last 4 days, I have concluded that the kegged versions of my beers are better then the bottled. The bottled ones are a bit sweeter - anyone find this or have an explanation?

It could be that the hop flavours are a little more subdued from a bit of ageing. Not overly hoppy beers though, generally americal ales approx 30-40 ibu's.

I don't know if the bottled versions of my beers taste sweeter, they just take longer to condition than the kegs do, which isn't helping in the trying to make the kegs last longer... :lol: The bottle I tried today had more of a yeasty aroma to it than the glass from the keg which didn't have any yeasty aroma, so that was a point of difference. I do like making batches big enough to put the surplus into bottles, because it's interesting to compare the two different packaging methods for the same batch.

Having grown up in the UK in the 1950s with only 3 radio stations permitted, 2 black and white TV channels, Ford Anglias and all heat and hot water coming from a coal fire that Mam had to get down on her knees every morning to fix up, I think, in retrospect, that I quite like living in Australia in the 21st Century:

rice lager speaker.jpg

Sitting on back verandah enjoying a rice lager and blissing out to ABBA Gold on bluetooth speaker off my mobile.

Happy Oz Day.

edit: actually the Anglia wasn't a bad car for the era

Bribie G said:
Having grown up in the UK in the 1950s with only 3 radio stations permitted, 2 black and white TV channels, Ford Anglias and all heat and hot water coming from a coal fire that Mam had to get down on her knees every morning to fix up, I think, in retrospect, that I quite like living in Australia in the 21st Century:
Please don't make me wheel out the Four Yorkshiremen sketch..

Typical-ish IPA decanted from the keg into the only clean glass bottle with a sealing cap I could find. Thats 1.5 liters of drinking and not getting up right there, cobber. Hijacked the neighbors pool. Pretty good Australia day arvo I must say.

DSC_6723_zpskdg1rwlp.jpg

Ford Anglias
OMG I would been not seen dead any where near one of those! But I did work at Holdens and any Ford was something to be shunned.

Know what you mean Kingy. I was loving Galaxy for the last few months. Haven't brewed with Amarillo for ages so thought,"Why not?".

Citra/Magnum Am. Wheat.

Very nice style this one, and not too bad an example...if I do says so meselfs.

image.jpg

Same beer, more comfortable surroundings.

How good are hammocks ?!

"A hammock and a few good beers will soothe the soul"
(John : Ch 7, V 1258)

image.jpg

Back