Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the ANHC gift pack (2008) - Claude 9 barleywine by CUB , so it's commercial. right?
Barleywine.jpg

20140223_203101.jpg

Bridge Roads, Bling IPA. A bit of a gusher, but otherwise a good, solid IPA. Nothing spectacular, nothing that really stood out, just good and solid and pretty close to sessionable.

Balanced malt & bitterness with no distinct aroma present, just a general fruitiness.

20140224_191554.jpg

Next Day I had the Bling Bling Imperial IPA. Much better. 8.5%, though not noticeable (until you're about half way through and wondering why its affecting you).

Solid malt, but definitely takes a backseat.

I got some slight mintyness (think tic tac peppermint), combined with a slight cherry flavour. One the nose, a hint of liquorice with again a bit of fruit. Based on the limited descriptors for Caliente, I'd hazard a guess that it made its way into this beer. But again, Caliente has such a scratchy description hop-profile wise, that it's a wild guess. Certainly got something 'different' from this than the standard C hops.

20140224_185021.jpg

Red Ale - DIPA.

Look, I'm going to be a little harsh on this one - mainly because I'm fed up with the "hoppy red ale" and "red IPA" craze. Seriously - this is a marketing gimmick. I reckon most of us would brew an IPA (of the American persuasion) and be often in the 'red' spectrum. To think it deserves it's own subcategory is ridiculous.

Sorry for the #rant, but I make IPA and APA, and they are often 'red' - heck, use enough crystal and something else, most beers can be. It's when I saw a photo on Instagram from a friend in BNE that has picked up the hipster fun of craft beer (don't get me started on hipsterism), and sure enough, it was a "Red IPA" and sure enough, it was (visually) an IPA like anything else I've made in the past.

Okay, sorry. This beer was fine. Decent malt, hops balance. Good aroma, typical fruit - mainly citrus. A little bit of dank, which I rate. Pretty sessionable. I bottled my IPA on Saturday, which kicked it in aroma. So again, a bit harsh. On another day, I'd probably be singing complements of this beer. I'm being a bit anal about IPA lately - it must be because they aren't hard to brew. 15IBU at 60 minutes, chuck shedload of hops in at 10 minutes down to flameout.

Unfortunately, we have a stomach bug in the house and this ended up in the porcelain telephone at about 2am. Not happy. Might explain the Red IPA rant.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
20140224_191554.jpg

Next Day I had the Bling Bling Imperial IPA. Much better. 8.5%, though not noticeable (until you're about half way through and wondering why its affecting you).

Solid malt, but definitely takes a backseat.

I got some slight mintyness (think tic tac peppermint), combined with a slight cherry flavour. One the nose, a hint of liquorice with again a bit of fruit. Based on the limited descriptors for Caliente, I'd hazard a guess that it made its way into this beer. But again, Caliente has such a scratchy description hop-profile wise, that it's a wild guess. Certainly got something 'different' from this than the standard C hops.
I sent them an email last year after trying it and not being able to pick the hops. Someone got back to me saying it was a complex mix of cascade and cluster only.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
20140224_185021.jpg

Red Ale - DIPA.

Look, I'm going to be a little harsh on this one - mainly because I'm fed up with the "hoppy red ale" and "red IPA" craze. Seriously - this is a marketing gimmick. I reckon most of us would brew an IPA (of the American persuasion) and be often in the 'red' spectrum. To think it deserves it's own subcategory is ridiculous.

Sorry for the #rant, but I make IPA and APA, and they are often 'red' - heck, use enough crystal and something else, most beers can be. It's when I saw a photo on Instagram from a friend in BNE that has picked up the hipster fun of craft beer (don't get me started on hipsterism), and sure enough, it was a "Red IPA" and sure enough, it was (visually) an IPA like anything else I've made in the past.

Okay, sorry. This beer was fine. Decent malt, hops balance. Good aroma, typical fruit - mainly citrus. A little bit of dank, which I rate. Pretty sessionable. I bottled my IPA on Saturday, which kicked it in aroma. So again, a bit harsh. On another day, I'd probably be singing complements of this beer. I'm being a bit anal about IPA lately - it must be because they aren't hard to brew. 15IBU at 60 minutes, chuck shedload of hops in at 10 minutes down to flameout.

Unfortunately, we have a stomach bug in the house and this ended up in the porcelain telephone at about 2am. Not happy. Might explain the Red IPA rant.
If they aren't hard to brew, why are there so many bad examples on the market at the moment? Some of the brewers out there really need to start thinking about balance in their beers, a properly balanced beer is so much more enjoyable to drink.

itmechanic said:
If they aren't hard to brew, why are there so many bad examples on the market at the moment? Some of the brewers out there really need to start thinking about balance in their beers, a properly balanced beer is so much more enjoyable to drink.
The trouble with idiot proofing things, is that idiots are so ingenious.

Have to agree totally. Balanced IPA are the best, though I don't mind the odd blast your tongue out of your mouth type. My missus is pretty much set on Vale/IPA - primarily because of its balance. I brew one very similar. I think that in an effort to make something 'edgy', that drinkability is suffering.

The problem I have, is buying highly rated (or even unrated) IPA (of the American persuasion, I would like to clarify) ends up disappointing me - not because they're bad beers, but because they're good enough, but not more. I suppose I hope that if I can make, at home, on dodgy equipment a good IPA, then surely the pros can do better.

Then again, it might go to prove your point about 'why are there so many bad examples on the market'.

Here's my formula for a balanced IPA, and it doesn't steer me wrong:

Assuming apparent attenuation of 80% (so work back mash temp and yeast choice from there), OG should equal IBU (ie. 1.055 should be 55 IBU).

Grist = 90% base ale malt, the balance should be good solid spec malt which will add body, but not overdo it.

IBU - as above. 15IBU from a single 60 minute addition, preferably from a solid variety that does not produce astringent bitterness. The balance, late kettle additions - 10 minutes down to whirlpool.

Get those basics right, and you're pretty much there. It allows for changes in spec malt, changes in (American) hop varieties, whilst still being balanced. Sure, some will be better than others (based on choices of hop, spec malt or yeast), but you'll be pretty much there.

Sorry for the above rant, though. I'm probably just as pinged with $$ going into the toilet at 2am, and I need someone to take it out on. The kids have it now.

Oh, and your Saison - excellent. Much better than mine.

Denmark WA Boston Brewery, seasonal 6.5% APA.. Not enough practise to rate yet but I enjoyed it :) ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1393321503.895156.jpg also got a growler as I don't have one, full of 3% ginger beer!ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1393321926.230630.jpg

lukiferj said:
I'd be hitting that Saison or the Samuel Smith Pale to start with.
Bloody hard to pass up the Sam Smith, thats a bloody good beer.
Not impressesd with the DT and not familiar with the others, though soon to be with the FigJam, grabbed one today.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
20140224_185021.jpg

Red Ale - DIPA.

Sorry for the #rant,

I bottled my IPA on Saturday, which kicked it in aroma. So again, a bit harsh. On another day, I'd probably be singing complements of this beer. I'm being a bit anal about IPA lately - it must be because they aren't hard to brew.
Don't forget imported beers are rarely ever at their best here in Aust. I dare say the aroma would be much more punchy over in Denmark - its generally the first thing to go. Lots of people make unfair comparisons to imports. I prefer inferior, but fresher Aussie beers, to unfresh, superior imports.

foles said:
Don't forget imported beers are rarely ever at their best here in Aust. I dare say the aroma would be much more punchy over in Denmark - its generally the first thing to go. Lots of people make unfair comparisons to imports. I prefer inferior, but fresher Aussie beers, to unfresh, superior imports.
Fair call.

I was in a very cranky mood that day.

20140226_175532.jpg

Brooklyn East India Pale Ale

I suppose, in light of my comments about aroma of foreign beers, this and the next two will seem to indicate that it isn't just travelling responsible for the seeming limited aroma of beers.

Had this beer last night - and it has the unmistakable 'honey' that I associate with old beer, travelled across the world. Couldn't find the useby date, but the 'honey' of European multiple timezone and temperature fluctation age was with it.

Yet it had a solid aroma and tasted like a balanced American Pale Ale with the distinctive Centennial (possibly cascade, but I didn't get that extra dimension of rose with it, that I get with cascade over centennial) aroma typical in 'old school' Classic APA.

Silly boy didn't read the label that it is 6.9% (IIRC, which is difficult, because I drank this quickly). Then I got stuck into the roast pork and this morning, trying to recall what else I remember after my Bourdain-esque Pork and Beer binge.

If this were 2% lower in ABV, this would stand up as a sessionable Pale Ale.

It's a Red IPA!!!!!! It even comes in a Red Can!!!!!! :lol: :p

I just finished a Feral Sly Fox Summer Ale.
Was very tasty. Light, but fruity and very sessionable. Kinda want another.. Anyone else tried this?

Following it up with a Ballast Point Big Eye IPA.

Please excuse the google pic, didn't take a photo at the time.

feral sly fox - google pic.jpg

$5.90 at Dan's atm...bargain. (Thanks to Bridges for the find)

Big, sweetly syrupy ( the bubbles are struggling to rise up through the beer) and very warming.

Hops are upfront too. Mostly citrusy. 65IBU.

It's not bad, but maybe a little too syrupy and maybe this 11% is kicking my arse...no, definitely kicking my arse.

Ed- It's sold in a red and white tin if you're looking for them.

Latest posts

Back