Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this also plus a HIX summer ale
21eolzl.jpg

Hey Danwood, I got an e-mail a week or so ago.
New pack = new recipe

"We’ve removed Cascade from the hop bill, and added in some Liberty and Crystal. We think the result is a more distinctive, hoppy beer without sacrificing sessionability. We’ve also added some wheat to the malt grist to round out the mouth-feel a bit."

It was always filtered hence bright.

So did you like it?

Liam_snorkel said:
Friday lunch beer. I make a point of visiting the local independent bottleo which has a tiny but surprising craft beer selection.
This is really good! Very malty without being thick. Toast and caramel, and a good amount of grapefruity & resinous hops. Similar to a fresh 4 pines pale but maltier & more complex hops.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1392957869.423380.jpg
I enjoy their Golden for what it is, but to be honest - and it hurts me, as I want to like it, the tasting doesn't quite live up to the description for me.

Yep, enjoying it. I got the same email, hence my choice at Dan's.

I haven't had the previous incarnation for quite a while, so can't really draw comparisons. But it's certainly going down well.

I'm not familiar with Liberty or Crystal, but a bit of research states both are of Hallertau descent, with mildly spicy and flowery aromas. I think they work well, especially with the bit of sharpness from the wheat.

Very refreshing beer with enough hops to remain interesting. If we've got any more hot weather to come, this would be a good choice.

I'd like to formally request the addition of a 'dislike button' to the site....

In reparation to the beer gods for yesterday's performance I've just mashed in a vienna/amarillo SMaSH, and popped the lid of this. A malty strong golden ale. Some grassy citrusy hops but it's mostly malt. Pretty easy drinking.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1393136935.999636.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
In reparation to the beer gods for yesterday's performance I've just mashed in a vienna/amarillo SMaSH, and popped the lid of this. A malty strong golden ale. Some grassy citrusy hops but it's mostly malt. Pretty easy drinking.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1393136935.999636.jpg
Way to be an asshole. Pretty keen to try this one actually.

Lordy, I do love Hargreaves Hill !

SWMBOs working today, so just me and the boy went to the park...it's a happy coincidence it has one of my favourite breweries 100yards away.

New Season IPA. Simcoe, Citra and Amarillo and a solid malt backbone.

ESB take outs. Always good. They switch hops with this one sometimes, between Galaxy and Cascade mostly. Galaxy, my nose tells me, currently.

Consistently good IMO. Although, I'm almost always at the brewery when I drink their beers, so freshness is guaranteed...but still, very good !

drinking the latest made brewers garden de paradise(Belgian wit) really enjoyable and easy to drink for a 6.2% beer has a nice citrus flavour might go buy another couple of bottles

20140223_192612.jpg

Amager IPA, 7% ABV.

Gotta say, I loved this beer, but my VALE/IPA loving wife would have hated it.

Bitter, but very balanced with a good solid malty body. No warming alcohol despite the 7%.

Became different as it warmed up, but still great, more bitter, more sweet, body became more apparent.

This finished sweet without being cloying, leaving a little of the prickly bitterness on the palate.

Aroma was negligible and not a massive 'in your face' hops flavour, just subtle with the bitterness coming in, then finishing sweeter, but still a little bitter.

I tried the bitter bitch a few weeks ago from Crown Cellars and the hop profile is very similar IMO, but this had the body and oomph to really carry it out.

On a side point, I noticed that they had the Aurora Borealis II in Crown Cellars on Saturday - pretty impressive for a non-mainland craft bottle-o

Latest posts

Back