What Would You Like Our Retailers Or Hbs To Sell?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belgian Biscuit = Weyermann CaraAmber

I usually substitute English amber malt for biscuit (a dry kilned malt) - I was under the impression CaraAmber is a different beast, a light crystal.

i agree i would like to try the belgian varieties one day - specially the special B.

and belgian hops - belgian brewer's gold and other stuff they grow in poperinge.

I usually substitute English amber malt for biscuit (a dry kilned malt) - I was under the impression CaraAmber is a different beast, a light crystal.

i agree i would like to try the belgian varieties one day - specially the special B.

and belgian hops - belgian brewer's gold and other stuff they grow in poperinge.

According to Wes Smith who was the Weyermann distributor here...

"Weyermann developed CaraAmber and CaraAroma to directly compete with the Belgian Biscuit and Special B malts as they used to be when DeWolf Cosyns maltings was still operating in Belguim. Today DWC has been closed down but the Weyermann products are still available and are excellent substitutes."

Edit: I reckon English amber would be a good substitute as well though.

cheers Ross

Affordable (sub $400) stainless conical fermenter

"Weyermann developed CaraAmber and CaraAroma to directly compete with the Belgian Biscuit and Special B malts as they used to be when DeWolf Cosyns maltings was still operating in Belguim. Today DWC has been closed down but the Weyermann products are still available and are excellent substitutes."

cheers Ross

well of course you must be right but it still doesn't make any sense to me. Is it a cara malt or not? Biscuit malt is like amber malt, a toasted malt not a cara malt right?
In Radical Brewing Mosher calls UK amber a biscuit malt. dont think he mentions caraamber though.

i've used caraamber and amber malt and they taste VERY different.

well of course you must be right but it still doesn't make any sense to me. Is it a cara malt or not? Biscuit malt is like amber malt, a toasted malt not a cara malt right?
In Radical Brewing Mosher calls UK amber a biscuit malt. dont think he mentions caraamber though.

i've used caraamber and amber malt and they taste VERY different.

Never having tasted Belgian biscuit I couldn't personally tell you. From the name you would guess it was closer to English Amber, hopefully Wes will see the posts & enlighten us.

Cheers Ross

I would like a brew stand. Similar to More beer and beer sell in the US. Somthing that I can add what I already own and retrofit with a HERMS.

Cheers, JJ

I know domonsura is working on some sort of blingy S/S brewstand, haven't seen too much of it / not sure if its available yet.

I've come across several recipes that call for biscuit malt. If we can't get it, then we can't get it. I've seen it on eBay for about $1.50 a pound from the States. The problem is, it's $20+ to ship the pound over. Biscuit malt would be great, even if there is an "equivalent malt" out there, I'd rather be using biscuit malt. Guess I'll be using an equivalnet malt though as a 500g addition for $22 is just slightly out of my budget for authenticity.

I was up doing some work at midnight - and read your 2000 word essay/wish list - how come you deleted it?. You must have way too much time on your hands Pat - typing all that diatribe then deleting it...

And why would you want ANOTHER auto-syphon - you know they are useless - they MELT!? :excl:

Have a happy Birthday

RM

PS - top of your list should be a grain mill - never mind the pre cracked vac packed grain.

A bit OT...

LOL RM!

Thanks to you and the others for the birthday wishes. Really appreciated that.

Also thanks to all those above that offered help with the quick-disconnect fittings. Batz is sending me some that will solve my problem. Donya Batz.

Usuallly I save anything I delete RM on the small chance it ends up making sense the next day. I don't think this has ever happened! There's a fine line when writing with Altbier between when the Beer Gods are helping you and when the Beer Devils take over. Sometimes I plough through that line with an absolutely outstanding lack of awareness :eek:

Auto-syphons are great. If you only use them on cooled wort, they stay straight. However, they can also fulfill Darren's wish above. Darren, the auto-syphon could be used as a sex toy. Just use boiling wort and your imagination to create whatever shape you are chasing :huh:

Spot ya,
Pat

cheers Ross

About ten years ago I was sent a "sample pack" of malts from DeWolf Cosyns. There were about 40 different malts beautifully packaged in 100g packs. I can assure you there are no equivalents to those malts available in Australia today. The Special B was about 300 EBC and gave a real raison flavour/aroma to beer. Caraaroma is probably a good substitute for Special B.

Did WDC go broke/boughtout/stop selling? Anyone know?

cheers

Darren

A few weeks back I was chasing reasonably priced 1/2" camlock fittings. I got lucky and now I'm nicely kitted out with them. Getting hold of them was a total pain in the false bottom though. It should (and could) be much easier.

Camlock_Female_BSP_Male.jpgCamlock_Female_BSP.jpgCamlock_HT.jpgCamlock_Male_BSP_male.jpg

Hahaha keep those Ben Cousins jokes coming, they're hilarious.

Pat, Roy now has Auto-Syphons (on my request), they arrived a couple days ago. It's always painful shopping there though, I love Roy and his shop, but his prices can be pretty brutal.

I want the retailers to supply a wife who has an understanding of what this is all about!!! Either that or one with an anti nag control and an "oh surely you need some more brewing/bar equipment" feature...

(SNIP)

Auto-syphons are great. If you only use them on cooled wort, they stay straight.

Grain and Grape stock a Canadian product called an Easy Syphon (or Facile Siphon, in French). They're made of polycarbonate, I think, and are the world's greatest syphon. I haven't melted mine yet.

I want the retailers to supply a wife who has an understanding of what this is all about!!! Either that or one with an anti nag control and an "oh surely you need some more brewing/bar equipment" feature...

I've got the 1969 model of one of those, she's fantastic never had any trouble with her, built for comfort and style with plenty of power under the hood, a real Rolls Royce in wives. The only minor issue I have is she's a bit hard to start in the mornings especially when its cold but once shes up and running she goes all day without skipping a beat.

About ten years ago I was sent a "sample pack" of malts from DeWolf Cosyns. There were about 40 different malts beautifully packaged in 100g packs. I can assure you there are no equivalents to those malts available in Australia today. The Special B was about 300 EBC and gave a real raison flavour/aroma to beer. Caraaroma is probably a good substitute for Special B.

Did WDC go broke/boughtout/stop selling? Anyone know?

cheers

Darren

Really Darren?

How did you manage to pull that off?

Warren -

I've got the 1969 model of one of those, she's fantastic never had any trouble with her, built for comfort and style with plenty of power under the hood, a real Rolls Royce in wives. The only minor issue I have is she's a bit hard to start in the mornings especially when its cold but once shes up and running she goes all day without skipping a beat.

You lucky bugger, unfortunately mines a bit newer and I think the computer in it needs to be reprogrammed. It doesn't seem to go well at all off road especially along any brewing tracks....

Really Darren?

How did you manage to pull that off?

Warren -

Warren, Yep, really. I looked last night to see if I could find the package so I could take a photo but I must have ditched it in the last shed clean-up. Had all sorts of things in it such as white wheat that looked as white as a pearl. From memory there were about 4 different types of pale wheat malt. Huge number of crystals, ranging from light to almost black and of course a series of roasts. They all smelled damn fantastic.

It was sent to me by a guy I think his name was Rob Moline (aka known as Jethro Gump). This was back in the days when the Brewrat chat was Aussie friendly. I cannot remember what his connection was but he may have been a sales rep for WDC in the US.

Like I said before it is a pity they are no longer around.

cheers

Darren

Well, it'll be good if my LHBS made and distributed beer- that is, have two kegs- one with its 'K&K recipe of the month' in it, and a partial/AG in the other, to show what a partial tastes like, and then have people try it, in butchers most likely to avoid problems of people asking for too much

This will need a liquor license, which is the biggest barrier to HBS's doing it.

Well, it'll be good if my LHBS made and distributed beer- that is, have two kegs- one with its 'K&K recipe of the month' in it, and a partial/AG in the other, to show what a partial tastes like, and then have people try it, in butchers most likely to avoid problems of people asking for too much

This will need a liquor license, which is the biggest barrier to HBS's doing it.
it probably does need a licence to do it completely legally, but I know a few HBS who're happy to let you taste whatever they have kegged anyway (in melbourne at least) :)

Latest posts

Back