What are you brewing - 2019?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pirate life IPA take off.
1st mistake trying to do a double biab batch in a 50lt keg with 8.5 kg grain bill.
Just went downhill from there .
2 splits in grain bag grain in mash hop bags opened in boil couldnt drain keg
Ended up ladling into fermenters 16 lt in each.
Will call this the miricale beer if it turns out any good.

Almost exactly a month to the day, another Zombie Dust clone brewed yesterday, don't know where it all went, I do know I was borderline Brahms after 6 stubby's, thats the biggest problem with higher ABV beers you can't get a good session going.
001.JPG

I'm going to be brewing a more sessionable (4.95%) NZ hazy pale soon. Looking to use Hort 4337 and Nelson Sauvin hops - anyone brewed with Hort 4337 before? My brother just did and says he gets a lot of pineapple but I haven't had a chance to sample his brew yet, on paper it sounds like these two hops might work well together..

Brewing the lightest Bitter that Ive done before on Sunday.
No crystal. Golden Promise/Wheat/Rye.
SRM 4.7

Hey @wide eyed and legless - do you have your english bitter recipe posted anywhere? Just looking to do one for some mates and it's not a style I normally do.. all cool if you wanna keep it secret! ;)

Hey @wide eyed and legless - do you have your english bitter recipe posted anywhere? Just looking to do one for some mates and it's not a style I normally do.. all cool if you wanna keep it secret! ;)
I do a ESB with two coopers English bitter kits with 1 kg of malt brewing sugar or dextrose and both yeasts. Simple but very nice ( I think so anyway)
Mick

23 litres Samuel Smiths Old Brewery Bitter OG 1,044 FG 1,011 IBU 31.51
5.00 kg Maris Otter
0.38 g Crystal 55
75 minute mash @ 67C

Boil 90 mins
45 g Fuggles @ 60 mins
15 g Williamette @ 15 mins
Bear in mind this is a full volume mash so you will have to reduce the base malt if you sparge, I think the recipe called for EKG but I had a load of Williamette so have used them.

I do a ESB with two coopers English bitter kits
Thanks but I do all grain.. :)

Samuel Smiths Old Brewery Bitter
Cheers WEAL! A mate of mine who works at Boags gave me a bunch of grain so I thought I would knock something up in the vane of their Wizard Smith for the non-IPA drinkers around Christmas time. I was planning a recipe using Fuggles and EKG, can you make any comment as to the hop profile of this beer, it seems very light on with hops (understandably) but does any of it shine through in those amounts in terms of flavour/aroma, or is it purely for bittering? I have to learn to take my IPA hat off for this one! Ha!

Hops come through nicely, I do a similar one with all Williamette 45 g and 18 g not a lot of difference in quantity but it leaves a nice bitterness on the back of the tongue.
I am doing another APA today Stones Pale Ale, the APA's have been very popular so I am trying this one because it has the Ahtanum hops which I have never used before.

Just got a 25kg of base pale and 25 kg jw pils.
Have plans to make a kolsch as i also got some danstar koln kolsch dry yeast.
Looking at doing tonys Bullshead Kolsch.
27 lt.
4.75 JW export pils.
260g pale wheat.
60 g tettnang @40min.
Mash in at 52 for 10 min.
Infuse hot water to 64 for 45 min.
Then 71 for 15 mash out.
Primary 10 days. Condition 6 days.

Used to be a pub in Leeds UK called Brahms and List in the early 80's, a great drinking hole. Was your Zombie dust based on the NZ Epic brewery Zombie IPA?
Three Floyds Brewing Zombie Dust IPA Clone | American IPA
INGREDIENTS
  • For 5.5 US gallons (20.8 L)
  • MALTS
  • 11.5 lb. (5.22 kg) pale two-row malt
  • 1 lb. (454 g) 10° L Munich malt
  • 8 oz. (227 g) melanoidin malt
  • 8 oz. (227 g) Carafoam
  • 8 oz. (227 g) 60° L crystal malt
  • HOPS
  • 0.75 oz. (21 g) Citra, 12% a.a., FWH @ 60 min
  • 1.25 oz. (35 g) Citra, 12% a.a. @ 15 min
  • 1.25 oz. (35 g) Citra, 12% a.a. @ 10 min
  • 1.25 oz. (35 g) Citra, 12% a.a. @ 5 min
  • 1.25 oz. (35 g) Citra, 12% a.a. @ 1 min
  • 3 oz. (85 g) Citra, 12% a.a. dry hop 7 days
  • YEAST
  • Fermentis SafAle S-04 English Ale Yeast
  • WATER
  • 2 g/gal gypsum added to reverse osmosis (RO) water.
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Original Gravity: 1.066 (12.5° P)
  • Final Gravity: 1.019 (4.8° P)
  • ABV: 6.2%
  • IBU: 77
  • SRM: 8
  • Efficiency: 72%
DIRECTIONS
Mash at 155°F (68°C) for 1 hour. Pitch yeast at 62°F (17°C) and allow to rise to 67°F (19°C) over 7 days. Ferment at 67°F (19°C) to terminal gravity. Crash to 42°F (6°C) and hold 10-14 days.

Extract Version
Substitute 8.3 lb. (3.76 kg) pale malt extract syrup for pale malt. Omit water salts. Mash remaining malts at 155°F (68°C) in reverse osmosis water for 30 minutes. Remove grains, dissolve extracts completely, then top off with reverse osmosis water to desired boil volume. Proceed as above.

Three Floyds Brewing Zombie Dust IPA Clone | American IPA
INGREDIENTS
  • For 5.5 US gallons (20.8 L)
  • MALTS
  • 11.5 lb. (5.22 kg) pale two-row malt
  • 1 lb. (454 g) 10° L Munich malt
  • 8 oz. (227 g) melanoidin malt
  • 8 oz. (227 g) Carafoam
  • 8 oz. (227 g) 60° L crystal malt
  • HOPS
  • 0.75 oz. (21 g) Citra, 12% a.a., FWH @ 60 min
  • 1.25 oz. (35 g) Citra, 12% a.a. @ 15 min
  • 1.25 oz. (35 g) Citra, 12% a.a. @ 10 min
  • 1.25 oz. (35 g) Citra, 12% a.a. @ 5 min
  • 1.25 oz. (35 g) Citra, 12% a.a. @ 1 min
  • 3 oz. (85 g) Citra, 12% a.a. dry hop 7 days
  • YEAST
  • Fermentis SafAle S-04 English Ale Yeast
  • WATER
  • 2 g/gal gypsum added to reverse osmosis (RO) water.
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Original Gravity: 1.066 (12.5° P)
  • Final Gravity: 1.019 (4.8° P)
  • ABV: 6.2%
  • IBU: 77
  • SRM: 8
  • Efficiency: 72%
DIRECTIONS
Mash at 155°F (68°C) for 1 hour. Pitch yeast at 62°F (17°C) and allow to rise to 67°F (19°C) over 7 days. Ferment at 67°F (19°C) to terminal gravity. Crash to 42°F (6°C) and hold 10-14 days.

Extract Version
Substitute 8.3 lb. (3.76 kg) pale malt extract syrup for pale malt. Omit water salts. Mash remaining malts at 155°F (68°C) in reverse osmosis water for 30 minutes. Remove grains, dissolve extracts completely, then top off with reverse osmosis water to desired boil volume. Proceed as above.
That's almost identical to the "Undead" pale ale recipe from James Mortons book, I brewed it a few weeks ago and it's stunning! I was in NZ recently and the Epic brewery turn out some great AIPA Zombie being one and Armageddon being another.

That's almost identical to the "Undead" pale ale recipe from James Mortons book, I brewed it a few weeks ago and it's stunning! I was in NZ recently and the Epic brewery turn out some great AIPA Zombie being one and Armageddon being another.
Was that pub near the Elephants Trunk?
I don't recall a pub called the Trunk but it could be that we just didn't go in there for some reason.
Just wondering do AIPA need to be high ABV or do AIPA's with lower ABV's still have that same hoppyness?

Latest posts

Back