What are you brewing - 2019?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.
Reaction score
Happy new year everyone. Here's the 2019 version.....

For me, brewing will be pretty sporadic with a big set of exams this year, however will try and get a couple of sessions in where possible.

A few I've got planned are:
- Berliner Weisse
- MG Fancy Pants Clone
- Hoppy Black Ale
- My old faithful hefe and dunkle

I'll post recipes when I brew.

Cheers,

JD

I have a big day ahead. Gotta keg a double batch of an esb, one keg will be el natural, one will be keg hopped with 25g of EKG. Then ill drop the beer I'm brewing today on the 1318 yeast cake. Its a 1.090 RIS that i developed by collating all the winning NHC recipes and averaging out the ingredients across the ~10 or so winning beers. I'm then going to age it with American oak dominoes for 3-4 weeks. Using my standard procedure atm. Lodo, step mash w/ herms, ferment without top pressure for 48-72 hours, then seal it up to 15 psi and raise the temp slowly from 18 to 23, filter transfer without touching o2.

Phew! Let's do this!

Brunchmaster 2000 Witbeer, Gold Medal Belgian Ale NHC 2018.

21 litres
2.72 kg flaked wheat
2.04 kg pale ale 2 row
0.113 kg flaked oats
18 g Amarillo @ 20 mins
14 g Amarillo @ 15 mins
28 g Amarillo @ 0 mins
2.8 g freshly ground coriander 5 mins
2.8 g bitter orange peel 5 mins
Going down to get my flaked wheat today, looking forward to making this.

Not so much what I am brewing but my approach to brewing

2018 seemed to all about quantity, mainly for other people who expect me to have an endless stream of beer on tap 365. Not that they were bad beers mind you but I know I can do much better and anyway, why should I keep brewing endless streams of commercial style of beer for other people

2019 is going to be all about quality and I have already started, spending more time and putting more thought into brewing and the results are already starting to show. Might even start entering comps again after a long hiatus.

When I get home this swing I'm going to try a single malt with single hop recipe. I have bought some ale malt from House of Malt so am going to do:
5Kg of Ale Malt
15g Nelson Sauvin @ 60 mins
25g Nelson Sauvin @ 5 mins
25g Nelson Sauvin @ Dry Hop

60 minute Mash 65Deg
60 Minute Boil
I haven't used Nelson Sauvin before

Got my interpretation of an India Red Ale on the go right now, think I went too heavy with the speciality malts though. I ended up at 1.064 but FG is looking like high teens at the moment, pressure fermenting away in a corny, first dry hop due today..

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 22 L
Boil Size: 27 L
Boil Gravity: 1.050
Efficiency: 73% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 6.28%
IBU (tinseth): 45.02
SRM (ebcmorey): 34.92

FERMENTABLES:
4.4kg - American Ale Malt (73.5%)
500g - CaraRed (8.3%)
350g - Toffee Malt (5.8%)
300g - Wheat Malt (5%)
200g - Caramalt (3.3%)
160g - Shepherds Delight Malt (2.7%)
80g - Midnight Wheat Malt (1.3%)

HOPS:
20g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.6, Use: Boil for 40 min, IBU: 15.41
20g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 6.36
30g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.9, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 16.2
30g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.2, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 7.04
50g - LeftOvers, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.2, Use: Aroma for 30 min *(10g Cascade, 20g Centennial, 20g Simcoe @ 66 degrees)
50g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.2, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
50g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
50g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days (serving keg)

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 64 C

YEAST:
Mangrove Jack - Liberty Bell Ale M36

Just brewed a pale ale style using left over hops bittered with magnum and late addition of aramis and centennial and saaz also another 92 litres of coopers pale ale. Batch sparge to the limit.
184 litres today, almost ran out of beer with this hot weather.
Getting up at 5am on a Sunday is totally worth it. [emoji3]
IMG_3498.JPG
View attachment 114950

Last edited:
Friday made a best bitter, pitched yeast about 5 pm yesterday trying the method razz says he has used,
no aeration dry yeast sprinkled on the top and this morning found fermentation well underway.
At the moment I am making a dry Irish stout, no steeping of the dark grains and subbed just under half the hops Challenger with Nugget.

Hi guys, put a brew on over the weekend, it's a wet-hopped Hallertau IPA (reinforced with small amounts of citra, simcoe, centennial and Idaho 7) which should just qualify as a IIPA if it hits my target ABV of 7.6%. In the 23L batch I used 1.8kg of fresh Hallertau from my mates garden, with about a kilo spread over the last 20 minutes of the boil and another 800g as an aroma steep, probably needed more. Was still a lot of hops (and a few bugs, extra protein!) for my kettle but once they cooked down was totally manageable. Probably not the best idea to brew an IPA/IIPA with Hallertau but I used Citra at FWH to bolster the bitterness and cube-hopped with a touch of simcoe and centennial to help lift the profile a little. Will probably dry hop with the Idaho 7, hopefully not too much but will wait and see how it's tasting/smelling. Have built a starter using some excess wort from the brew and WLP090 (San Diego Super Yeast), looking to pitch tomorrow, it's a little slow to take off, I probably should have diluted it back a little.

Anyway, fun times, anyone else been busy brewing?

Sometime this week or next my first batch in 4 yrs or so. Mid strength rye saison with wy 3276 farmhouse ale. Hopefully I remember how haha.

First brew in 3 years today. Keeping it simple;

90% veloria
9% winter wheat
1% acid

Cube 1
4g/L Huell Melon

Cube 2
4g/L Willamette

Cube 3
1.5g/L Ella
GY002

It's good to be back.

Now, onwards with the clean up..

Today braved the cold and brewed a strong bitter, doing a double brewday fingers crossed on Wednesday a Guinness stout clone and an English Guineas oatmeal stout clone.

Took the day off work to brew a Belgian Trappist and a Witbier on the BM20, hope to be ready for State next month.
1565559871903.jpeg

Ah the family brew!
Originated from my Great Grandfather 15 times removed.
The original name was Severus De Trappe who was a high ranking member of the Catholic Church.
He had a Chateau on the Meuse River on the border with Germany, which he granted to the Catholic Church.
I guess that's where they first started brewing.
Must be hereditary....I'm brewing whiskey (privately) here in Tasmania....at least that's my excuse!

Two from two this weekend. This time something a bit more dark and sinister. Loosely based on a bad joke about a centurion beer for a case swap.

14 atlas
2 veloria
1.5 winter wheat
0.85 dark xtal
0.85 midnight wheat
0.8 roast barley
0.7 victory
0.5 biscuit
0.5 choc
0.25 spec b

2g/L ella @ FWH
3:1 cl/so4
1581 @ 20'C

1.100 OG
100g hops
10 malts
100 EBC
10% ABV

This time something a bit more dark and sinister.
Not familiar with some of those malts, what are you making there, some sort of dark ale, lightly hopped BIPA? #confused

I'm currently brewing up a hazy IPA for the missus who has suffered some withdrawals since our US west coast trip a couple months ago.. recipe over in the NEIPA thread. Got a nice 3L London Fog Ale starter on the go at the moment too (will save 1L for the next brew), looking juicy already!

Making an imperial stout-ish beer. Nothing really to style, just inspired by the centurion idea, what malts I have on hand and the 1581 belgian stout yeast. I'll ferment it on the cooler side to add some spice from the yeast without pushing it to ester-city.

Brewed two stouts one a dry Irish the other an English oatmeal stout, also my go to Best bitter. Two of these I warmed the yeast on my grain bed. The sky never fell in, the dry Irish stout I plunged the yeast in straight from the fridge, about 30 hours before it took off.
004.JPG

Back