What are you Brewing 2016?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
husky said:
It all depends on your system and your procedures. The micros I have seem do something like:
Flameout and add WP hops
WP for 5 mins
Transfer to fermenter via plate chiller(and depending on pump and batch size each brewery has been different in how long this takes)

Im my system I don't use a plate chiller and instead chill the kettle jacket so I have to guestimate time vs temp profile to get what I want.
Something in the order of half of certain aroma oils are driven off after 10 mins so yes some will be gone during the 5 min @ 100deg however ther is no vigerous boil and by the end of 5 mins my temp has dropped to 95 deg, the lid is also on for sterilising so the vapour is not coming off at the same rate as in the boil. It really is trial and error and adjust next time. This is the third crack at this method for hoppy beers and I make minor adjustments each time. I really liked the last one so all I did this iteration was lengthen the hop stand to 20 mins because what's happening is I stop the cooling jacket water but the temp continues to drop to 70ish by the end of 20 mins as the jacket water continues to absorb heat. Again its trial and error stopping chilling at higher temps to get the hop stand closer to 80 degrees.
For me this part of the brew is critical and gets a lot of focus currently. Lots of trial and error but the up side is that they have all made really flavoursome beers so far, I would describe them as juicy!.
Thanks Husky. Good to hear about the process in more depth. Now all I'm thinking about is the jacketed boil kettle. Lol

Summer Saison 2

OG 1042
FG 1004
ABV 5%
IBU 30
EBC 7

82% pilsner malt
6% rye
6% wheat
6% rolled oats

Mashed at 67c for 60mins

Boiled for 60mins - no chill

Columbus @ 60mins = 25ibu
Cascade @ WP = 5ibu

Fermented with Belle Saison @ 18c for 2-3days, ramp to 28c for 5 days to ferment out before cold crashing and kegging.

Not smash ale, I'll call it Pow Ale for now.
Unique kinda nutty flavour malt from local maltsters i'll give it a 100% of the grain bill this time with
at least one decoction to add some more Melanoiden character and body.

40lt brew
OG = 1.048
FG = 1.010
IBU = ~30
EBC = 8.4
ABV = 5%

8.75kg Powels Malt
Mashed: Infusions at 52c for 20min. 63c for 75min.
~ 8lt Decoction to get ~70c for 30min. Batch sparge with 76c water.

12g Magnum - 60min = 8.8 IBU
60g (50/50) Gallaxy Flowers/Mosaic pellets - flame out steep for 30min = 18.8 IBU
80g (50/50) Gallaxy Flowers/Mosaic pellets - Hop Stand at 75c for 30 minutes
60g each of Gallaxy flowers (in large weighted hop sock), Mosaic and Nelson Sauvin pellets in tea balls- dry hopped in the serving kegs until empty.

Yeast should be coopers cultured but I cant wait so its US-05 this time.

Pressure fermented at 18c for 2 days then up 1c per day to 21c finishing pressure at 23psi.
Let sit for 2-3 days then chill to 5c for transfer into serving kegs.
You can drink it at this stage but the dry hops in the keg may be a tad over the top for some people, but not me.

spryzie said:
Quick and easy Saison!
A can each of Cooper's light malt extract and wheat extract. 500g of dried light malt extract.
In a pot with 11 litres water.
50g Kent Goldings @ 45 minutes.
50g Galaxy @ 5 minutes.
Cooled down in sink and topped off to 21 litres.
Pitched 2 packets Belle Saison yeast @ 30 degrees reading on the thermowell. Ambient is 20 and will let it do it's thing.
4 hours later and the airlock is bubbling with 28 degrees reading on the thermowell.

Magic yeast!

Showed a couple of my girlfriends friends how to brew in a bag today. One has done a kit and kilo the other one has just always wanted to brew. Was really successful.

Just brewed a simple pale ale. Normally just cube hop all my hop but for the art of magic I did them at the proper intervals!

I think I have got them hooked!

Recipe: Rye Pale Ale - BrewHaHa
Brewer: Rusty
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.12 l
Post Boil Volume: 28.12 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 26.00 l
Bottling Volume: 24.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 17.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 67.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 64.5 %
1.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 2 14.3 %
0.53 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 7.7 %
0.42 kg Gladfield Medium Crystal Malt (111.0 EBC Grain 4 6.1 %
0.27 kg Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC) Grain 5 3.8 %
0.25 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 6 3.6 %
14.00 g Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 20.8 IBUs
30.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 5.9 IBUs
24.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 2.6 IBUs
26.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 Hop 10 5.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 11 -

Tuesday night holiday brew, Belgian Not So Pale Ale

45% BB Ale
40% Munich
6% Wheat
5% Carabohemian
4% Biscuit

40g EKG @ 60
10g EKG @ 0

1 pkt T-58

Mashed at 67 for an hour

Some red hues in the wort which look pretty good. But, I feel like I should have mashed lower to help the T-58 attenuate.

Had a decent krausen after 8 hours, I hydrated the dry yeast ;)

Pratty1 said:
Summer Saison 2
OG 1042
FG 1004
ABV 5%
IBU 30
EBC 7
82% pilsner malt
6% rye
6% wheat
6% rolled oats
Mashed at 67c for 60mins
Boiled for 60mins - no chill
Columbus @ 60mins = 25ibu
Cascade @ WP = 5ibu
Fermented with Belle Saison @ 18c for 2-3days, ramp to 28c for 5 days to ferment out before cold crashing and kegging.
Slight change to yesterday's hops on the saison, decided to adjust the Ibu for each addition and kept the cascade for another beer.

Columbus @60m = 16ibu
Mosaic WP = 12ibu

My work is done for today.

can opener.jpg

One more for 2016.....

Frohmuller Pale Ale 2

OG 1052
FG 1011
ABV 5.5%
IBU 35
EBC 11
Vol 19lt

76% Ale Malt
15% Vienna
5% Rolled Oats
4% Red X (30L)

Mashed at 66c for one hour

60 minute boil

Simcoe @ 60mins = 15ibu
Amarillo/Centennial @ WP = 20ibu

Fermented with US05 @ 18c

Dry hopped with:

Citra 28g, Simcoe 14g, Amarillo 14g for about 3 days.

Coodgee said:
Short on hops mate? :)
Hahaha Not quite, stock take showed just under 2kg.... Really just trying the less is more approach for a change, come dry hop day I'm likely to bump it up though.

CC'ing a Hibiscus and passionfruit saison for NYE.

75% Pilsner
15% Wheat
10% Naked Golden Oats

No chill

FWH Dr Rudi 12 IBU
Flameout Dr Rudi 18 IBU
Dry hopped w/ 30g Dr Rudi 3 days

OG 1.055
FG 1.010

Add 3 x 175g tins passionfruit pulp after primary ferment compete.
Add Hibiscus Tea. (40g hibiscus tea, 400ml 80 deg water, stir and steep for 5 mins, then strain into fermenter)

Last one for 2016. Hope I go out on a high note.

Pratty1 said:
Hahaha Not quite, stock take showed just under 2kg.... Really just trying the less is more approach for a change, come dry hop day I'm likely to bump it up though.
Only two??! Jesuz... I know a guy who can hook you up with some decent green, mate. No one has to live like that.

mofox1 said:
Only two??! Jesuz... I know a guy who can hook you up with some decent green, mate. No one has to live like that.
Haha, yeah its part of my obsession to have too much on hand. All in vac sealed 150g bags which I get from the lhbs when the bulk buys are on in Sydney.

Citra
Galaxy
Simcoe
Cascade
Amarillo
Centennial
Columbus
Mosaic
Chinook
Warrior
Summit
Millenium

Just got a Xmas voucher for clever brewing and planning to get some Rakua, Nelson Sauvin and Brooklyn hops to get some NZ varieties into the 2017 beers.

When I get the next 2 beers done it will chew threw close to half that as they are DIPAs

Pratty1 said:
Haha, yeah its part of my obsession to have too much on hand. All in vac sealed 150g bags which I get from the lhbs when the bulk buys are on in Sydney.
The vac sealing is a good idea, keeps em fresh. As for obsessions... 29 hop varieties and back up over 5.5kg, thanks to the last 2kg purchase of good stinky AU/US varieties :D

And I'm almost out of EU/UK hops! :blink: :(

Anyway, back on topic.... :ph34r:... Planning another Rhubarb saison to take advantage of the summer temps, and the fact that my main ferment fridge will be occupied with a Westy 12 clone.

Simple base: 50/40/10 of Pilsner/Wheat/Sugar to 1.050, mashed low (62) and long (90min).
20 IBU from Perle & Cascade
3kg of Rhurbarb from the garden, using repeated simmer/strain method to extract all the rhubarby goodness.

Two year old frozen Wyeast 3724 - Belgian Saison spinning up now. Based on previous brews this should take it down to 1.002.

Just have to wait for a couple of days under 25 to pitch, and then let it ramp its temp to around 30 by day 3 or 4.

Holiday time off and keen to squeeze one more brew in for the year.

A home style Porter 20lt.

OG = 1.074
FG = 1.015
IBU = 33
EBC = 45
ABV = 7.8%

4.5kg Golden Promise = 65.7%
0.9kg Rolled Oats = 13.1%
0.6kg Toffee Malt = 8.8%
0.5kg Dark Munick = 7.3%
0.25kg Carafa III = 3.6%
0.1kg Acidulated = 1.5%

My Mash; Infusions at 53c then 64c. Decoction to 70c, batch sparge with 74c.

90minute boil:
20g Mosaic @60
20g Mosaic @ flame out steep for 30min
20g Saaz @ steep for 30min
20g Hallertauer MF @ steep for 30min

Yeast: Oh its another blend. 1pk Nottingham with 1pk M27. Dry yeast count is just over so its only hydrated. No starter again this time.
I'm optimistic on this blend for it will give a Belgianish tone that I will like but not as much if it was totally m27.

Pressure fermented at 18c.

HLT is on now :)

Hey Jonny,

You nailed _ _ _ _ _ _ _ in OG, FG, mash temp, IBU and yeast. But we keep the malt bill a bit drier so we use an equivalent to Pilsner malt and a bit of Carapils.
Columbus at 60 min
Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial at Whirlpool - I'd recommend that so you extract mostly flavour and aroma and as little bitterness as possible!
Mosaic, Amarillo, Galaxy, Vic Secret as Dry Hopping (temperature always between 18-20C)

As you say, a fruit salad, and as a fruit salad each one has their favourite mix!

Cheers,
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Title: open all hours v3
Boil Time: 75 min
Batch Size: 41 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 52 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.033
Efficiency: 72.5% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 4.37%
IBU (tinseth): 32.99
SRM (morey): 2.72

FERMENTABLES:
7.2 kg - German - Pilsner (96.6%)
0.25 kg - German - Carapils (3.4%)

HOPS:
28 g - Columbus, 15.1, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 32
1.3g/l Simcoe, 13.2, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min
1g/l- Columbus, 15.1, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min
1.5g/l- Centennial, 9.3, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:

1) Temperature, Temp: 68 C, Time: 90 min, Amount: 21 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg

YEAST:
US-05 Fermentation Temp: 18- 20 C = 19C
ed> making a 22ltr batch now due to space restrictions...going for the full IBU's from the @60m columbus and 2.5% carapils since they say a tiny bit...
Happy New Year All!

Pratty - I do not have permission to divulge - it's a lovely and popular English brewer's session IPA - the hop amounts are guesses

After a cracker beer by Mayor of Mildura at the case swap, I'm brewing a his Cocko's Cream Ale. Adjusted a few things to suit a 23l brew on my system.

2.35kg Simpsons MO
1.55kg JW wheat malt
0.70kg polenta

42g tettnang at 60mins
M44 yeast to ferment at 18°C

OG 1.050, target FG 1.010

MoM threw the polenta straight into the mash but I've gone a full cereal cook to try something different. It complicates it somewhat but might be worth the trouble.
  • Mixed in 700g polenta with 150g crushed MO to about 3l of water
  • Heated and held at 70°C for 5 mins
  • Heated to boiling, and boiled for 15 mins
  • Added straight to the mash after 30 mins of mashing
IMG_0318.JPG

Next time I'll add AFTER mash in because this would have bumped the mash temp somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back