What are you brewing 2015?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Teninch brewery Haus Bitter - See here for historical recipe

Scaled up to 44 litres (got 46), and better efficiency than that setup.

Brewed for Bitter and Twisted beer festival, so if you like the TTL yeast W1469, and are keen to taste some awesome beers, this will among the beer produced for festival punters by the Hunter United Brewers.

I may have to rename this beer as Scalded Hand ale, or maybe Kickass Birko ale, as I scalded my handed when moving the BIrko full of hot water and then laid the boot into it after I was forced to drop it.
Hmmm, maybe just Boofhead Bitter

This weekend I'm brewing my first Munich Dunkel (really hoping to emulate the Weltenburg Kloster Barock Dunkel, so if you have any tips about cloning that particular dunkel please share your info).

It'll also be the first time I've had the equipment to ferment at properly controlled lager temps.

I'll be using WLP838 Southern German Lager yeast and currently stepping that up to 430bn cells.

Hopfen Weisse

OG 1040
FG 1010
Ibu 15

60% Wheat
38% Pilsner
2% Acidulated

Mashed at 64c for 30 mins

Hopped with;

Citra @ 60mins = 12ibu
Citra @ 10mins = 3ibu

Fermented with Mangroves Bavarian @ 16c

Dry hopped for 3days with;

Equinox
Amarillo
Zythos

How does the MJ Bavarian go at 16C, Pratty ?

Mostly clove at that ? Much banana at higher temps ?

Ordered some but haven't used it yet.

Danwood said:
How does the MJ Bavarian go at 16C, Pratty ?

Mostly clove at that ? Much banana at higher temps ?

Ordered some but haven't used it yet.
the last use of that yeast went good, I direct pitched it at 17c and fermented @ 19c, it stressed the yeast enough to throw phenols but the banana was low, mostly clove.

because Im aiming for some fruit notes from the dry hop Im keeping the temp low to avoid the bannana and will rehydrate the yeast prior to pitching.

Ok thanks. I was planning the typical under pitch and might also move it from 17C initially, up to 21C over the ferment.

Maybe 3/4 degree per day or something, I'll see how fast it cracks along.

I love a hoppy wheat. Good luck with it, mate.

First brew in a few months.

Triple batch of summer ale.

Trad ale
Munich
Pils
Wheat
15 ibu of centennial
Bry 97

Hit 85% eff so pretty happy with that.

Danwood said:
Ok thanks. I was planning the typical under pitch and might also move it from 17C initially, up to 21C over the ferment.

Maybe 3/4 degree per day or something, I'll see how fast it cracks along.

I love a hoppy wheat. Good luck with it, mate.
i still haven't technically underpitched to get those banana flavours as yet. how would you do it with a pack? pitch 5-8gm instead of full pack?

i'd love to give it a crack myself.

You could got that route.

Either don't hydrate the whole pack, pitch 3/4 pack hydrated or brew a slightly larger/stronger batch.

Any one of these combined with a ferment up around 19-21C should force more banana from the yeast.

I'm going to go hydrated whole pack and 25L of 1055-1060 wort, I think. Plus oxygen.

Carefully and causiously stepping into sour mash experiment for a split batch Saison.
All Grain. 90min boil
38lt batch/ 2 X 19lt ferments.
4kg Pilsner = 48.2%
1kg Pilsner Sour Mash = 12%
1kg Munick = 12%
1kg Dark Munick = 12%
1kg Wheat Malt = 12%
0.3kg Acid Malt = 3.6%
1 tblt Whirfloc at 15min
30g Warrior 90min (seems so strange using such a small amount of hops)
I may dry hop the kegs with ~30g Galaxy or something of the like.

Main mash started at 65c left all night ending at 50c.
Sour mash was milled then steeped in 2.5lt water at 65c for 1 hour in a stainless lidded kettle.
Chilled to 40c then 2 X Sache of Kifir Culture mixed through. Lidded, purged with co2 then sealed with glad wrap and left in hot water service cupboard for 2 days.
It was fermenting but hadnt got really sour yet so not sure if I'll get much sourness from it. Will sour mash for longer next time, 3 to 4 days I'd think.
mixed sour mash in with main mash prior to run off and sparge.

Yeasts: Danstar Belle Saison for 1 batch. Mangrove Jacks M27 Belgian Ale for the other.
est OG = 1.051
est FG = 1.006
IBU = 29.7
Color EBC = 11.5
est ABV = 5.9%
Water:
For 22lt mash water got 3.1g Chalk. 2.9g Gypsum. 1.2g Epsom Salts. 2g Salt.
Sparge water gets 1/16tsp of citric Acid for every 15lt pot to lower PH. Somewere around PH-6.

I saw this recipe is Beer & Brewer Magazine. As a huge fan of beer & watermelon I couldn't resist. It's a clone recipe of Moon Dog Brewing's 'Bjorn to Boogie' - a mojito inspired Weizen straight from the mouth of head brewer Karl van Buuren. It's in my fermenter right now... very exciting stuff.

Watermelon Weizen - Moon Dog Clone
No Chill / Cube Method

OG: 1.050
Est. FG: 1.007
IBUs: 13
ABV: 5.2%

50% Weyermann Pale Ale Malt
42% Weyermann Pale Wheat Malt
8% Joe White Wheat (Raw Unmalted)
3.5kg of Watermelon Puree
2 limes, zested
1/2 a bunch of mint

Cascade (USA) 100g 2013 crop 7.6%AA @ 60min to 13 IBUs

Brewtan-B added to kettle as it is brought up to temp.

After the first hop addition I drew off 3 litres of the wort and soaked the lime zest and mint in it for 15minutes before straining it and returning it to the kettle.

Watermelon Puree added @ 25min

Brewtan-B, Brewbrite and yeast nutrient thrown in too @ flameout

Pitched onto a yeast cake of Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen Ale Yeast 3068 (used previously in my Schneider Weisse)

Stepped Mash: mash in at 44'c for 10min, then raised to 55'c for 15min, then to 65'c for 50min, then to 72'c for 10min & finally mashing out & sparged at 78'c

Pitched onto yeast a little warm @ 24'c but had it down to 20'c within 6 hours. It was a very vigorous fermentation; showing airlock activity within 10min of pitching and forming a large krausen within 8 hours. It blew it's way out of my airlock within 48 hours, now that's over-pitching :D

menoetes said:
........ showing airlock activity within 10min of pitching and forming a large krausen within 8 hours.........
Hi menoetes,

Sounds like a top recipe, interested to see the colour when its in the glass.

The airlock activity after 10mins seems unlikely though no matter how much yeast pitch into :ph34r: Can I suggest that the airlock was actually the cooling affect of the wort? Sucking air into the fermenter as opposed to C02 being released?

Dan

Pratty1 said:
The airlock activity after 10mins seems unlikely though no matter how much yeast pitch into :ph34r: Can I suggest that the airlock was actually the cooling affect of the wort? Sucking air into the fermenter as opposed to C02 being released?
I didn't think of that & you're probably right of course. Still an exciting brew session none-the-less.

menoetes said:
I didn't think of that & you're probably right of course. Still an exciting brew session none-the-less.
it was teh first thing that came to mind.

Hey, how did you keep the yeast cake, was it in the fermenter still ( transfered previous beer that day ) or did you remove into a flask or something, clean, sanitize and ......??

Im planning a Lager then a India Pale Lager with teh yeast cake so any tips will be good.

To be honest I just kept it simple. After siphoning the cold-crashed beer into my bottling bucket (using silicone hose & tap to tap method) I was left with the yeast cake on the bottom of my fermenter. I gave it a few hours to come to room temp and poured my cubed beer in on top. I figure this aerates & mixes everything up nicely.

I clean up any spills or dribbles with a spray bottle of star-san but generally hope the FV is still sanitary from the last use and hope the yeast will out-compete anything that might otherwise sneak in. I don't know if this is best practice but it is the easiest... :unsure:

I should note that the previous beer on the cake wasn't dry hopped and the wort was pretty clear so there was minimal trub mixed into the yeast cake (by my standards at least) which is why I chose to try using it again.

If I were to do anything different next time I would leave the cubes in the fermentation fridge to get their contents down to pitching temp (FV too if there is the space) before pouring them over the cake. Mine ended up being pitched @ 24'c rather than the 21'c I would have preferred.

Good luck with the IPL, sir!

EDIT: An old thread with much more info than me >>HERE<<

Breaking my normal mould.

Putting down a double batch APA.
OG to 1.050
IBU ~ 38.

80% Pale
15% Munich 1
5% Crystal Mix (mix of leftover crystal malts)

50g Amarillo + 40g EKG @ 60
Amarillo 25g @ Cube
left over amarillo ~15g going in as my cherry popping fermenter dryhop.

Can't wait.

Cheers,
D80

Bullshead Summer Saison on the boil at the moment.

Following the recipe in the database almost exactly.
Will ferment using WLP-585 Belgian Saison III.

Pretty excited to try this yeast out. I've made three saisons in the past all using Belle Saison and they've all been nice, but none seemed to have the yeast derived fruitiness I'm hoping for this time.

Did a Belgian Morello Cherry Dubbel on the weekend, onto WLP500 left from a Belgian Wit. Some very nice pear & plum smells so far.

pajs said:
Did a Belgian Morello Cherry Dubbel on the weekend, onto WLP500 left from a Belgian Wit. Some very nice pear & plum smells so far.
Sounds nice Pajs, did you use the cherries in the boil or are you adding them directly to the fermenter? Care to post your method? Last time I tried making a cherry beer on a Belgiam Wit yeast it turned out a bit 'meh' but I've not had a lot of success in brewing with fruit thus far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back