What Are You Brewing - 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
attachicon.gif
toucan.jpg

An old favourite, I've dumbed this one down with only 500g of LDME and 500g of Dex.

Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast

Handful of any old aroma hop on day 3.
Volume?

The weather is getting nice again so it's time for another weissbier.

2.3 kg Bestmalz pale wheat malt
2.2 kg Bestmalz Pils

Mash rests: 45/65/71/76

Hallertauer mittelfruh at 60 min to 13 IBU

Wyeast 3068. Pitch at ~13 C, let free rise to 17 C and maintain.

There was a time when I posted in this thread every week. Moving house, needing to remake my mash tun and other bits of life have led to a lack of brewing since about June.
Bit the bullet, borrowed some tools from work and within 30 minutes I have a new mash tun. I'll look at ingredients stocks next and hopefully knock out a brew next weekend. I fancy an esb or apa at the moment but also wouldn't mind knocking out some strong belgians too.

Brewing binge this week with some american ales that I don't do often as I've recieved some hops.

APA

3.3kg pils
1.5kg JW light munich
250g carahell
200g carawheat

15g Summer @ 60
25G Cascade @cube
14G Citra (plug) @cube
25G Mosaic

Amber

2.5kg Pils
2kg Light munich
350g JW Crystal
300g carawheat
150g Brown

10g Willamette @ 60
35g Cascade @ cube
35g Willamette A cube

IPA

5kg Pils
500g munich
400g CaraRye
250g carahell

5g cascade @ 60 (basically it's all cube hopped)
55g cascade @ cube
60g Mosaic @ cube
14g citra (plug) @ cube

I'll likely ferment these all on 1098 British ale and probably dryhop the APA and IPA 1-2g/L. I'll see how I go when I get around to fermenting them.

I'm thinking I might squeeze a bitter with more of that cararye tomorrow. I love cubing, brew when you want, ferment when you need.

Blacklabb- I have to say, I made my best ever American Amber using 1098 British Ale, fermented on the low side at 18', it was amazing.

Big brew day for me on my smallish system.

One grain bill which will eventually be split 3 ways

10kg JW Trad Ale 89.29%
0.6kg Wheat Malt 5.36%
0.6kg Med Crystal 5.36%

End goal 48 ltrs of 1.052 wort

20 ltrs with Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade and Citra - 35IBU for a keg

9 ltrs with Amarillo and Centennial - 30 IBU

9 ltrs of still not decided - have plenty of stuff on hand maybe Ahtanum with Vic Secret and Galaxy..

Most likely all on Us-05

2nd attempt at a Berliner weisse tomorrow, this time il keep the ferm temp up over 35 and not make a cube full of Parmesan vomit.

65/35 pils wheat
5 Ibus of tetts

Wy lacto ( not sure which one yet, probably the standard 5335 ) and German ale.

I was planning an Oatmeal Stout and then i asked myself what I really wanted to have....the answer was a hoppy beer, so I decided to get the best of both worlds.

My BM malt pipe has a lower efficiency when I go over 5.5kg so I wont be mashing the chocolate & roasted malts, adding them for an extended mashout only to extract the colour and hopefully enough of the flavour that will balance with the hops.

[SIZE=small]Recipe – Black IPA 3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]OG – 1.062[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]FG – 1.012[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]ABV – 6.3%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]IBU – 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]EBC – 80[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Malt Bill[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]69% Golden Promise[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]10% Vienna Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]5% Medium Crystal[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]2% Melanoiden Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]2% Flaked Oats[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]8% Chocolate Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]2% Chocolate Wheat[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]2% Roasted Barley[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Mash Profile – [/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]MI/20c [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]35c/20m – Glucon Rest (oats) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]55c/15m – Protein Rest [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]63c/30m – Beta Peak[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]73c/30m – Alpha Peak[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]78c/30m – Mash Out and add the 12% of chocolate/roasted malts (no gravity or residuals from these malts)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Hops[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Bittering – Warrior @ 60m to 35ibu[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Flavour – Simcoe/Amarillo @ 10m & 5m to 30ibu[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Flavour & Aroma – Simcoe/Amarillo/Citra Whirlpooled 10mins to 10ibu[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Aroma (Dry Hop) 6g/L – Simcoe/Amarillo/Citra for 7days @ 21c[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Addition’s[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]500g Dextrose added 10mins of boil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10mins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Gypsum 15g[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Fermented with WLP002 @ 19c – it’s a low attenuator at 70% but the mash profile and dextrose will see that get to >75%[/SIZE]

1st all grain beer yesterday

Done on a kal clone of "the electric brewery"

Put down a 10gal batch of Electric Pale Ale

Only problem I encountered was losing siphon with the hop stopper when I was chilling so had to pour the last bit of wort in the 2nd fermenter and got quite a bit of hop sludge in there.

Super SS said:
1st all grain beer yesterday

Done on a kal clone of "the electric brewery"

Put down a 10gal batch of Electric Pale Ale

Only problem I encountered was losing siphon with the hop stopper when I was chilling so had to pour the last bit of wort in the 2nd fermenter and got quite a bit of hop sludge in there.
:icon_offtopic: Not the welcome thread, but welcome anyway!

There's a (quite) a few of us that have done, recently done, or doing Kal clones, myself included (building - ETC Jan-2015). Would love to see you post something in the "Show us your brewrig" thread in the Gear & Equipment section. Photo's, trauma, and tips for those yet to build.. :D

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/80611-show-us-your-brewrig/

Even more :icon_offtopic:... I stumbled across Brewnuts build thread yesterday, and you could have demolished the building around me and I wouldn't have noticed until it took out the wireless.... seriously hoshiiit!

Had my first surf this morning since snapping my kneecap in march. Stoked as and no one home so I'm gunna brew

Cowabunga blonde

84.4% ding pils
15.6% Vienna

Long low mash for fermentability

Tetts @ 60

15 IBU

1007 German ale

didn't update here the other week, but brewed up a belgian wit. very excited. the yeast RIPPED through it.

21L batch
50% pils
48% torrefied wheat
2% munich

mashed at 66 for 90, then 76 for 10

tettnang at 60 to 15IBU
15gm mandarin zest at 5
8gm indian coriander at 5

mangrove jack's M27 belgian ale yeast at 25C

chewed it right down to 1.004!!

also, i have just moved from doing 20L batches up to 21. apart from a slight change in boil off and slightly more ingredients, is there anything else i should be mindful of? my efficiency seemed a little poor (made it up with a last minute mash out step). or is it torrefied wheat? i've never used it til now.

fletcher said:
didn't update here the other week, but brewed up a belgian wit. very excited. the yeast RIPPED through it.

21L batch
50% pils
48% torrefied wheat
2% munich

tettnang at 60 to 15IBU
15gm mandarin zest at 5

also, i have just moved from doing 20L batches up to 21. apart from a slight change in boil off and slightly more ingredients, is there anything else i should be mindful of? my efficiency seemed a little poor (made it up with a last minute mash out step). or is it torrefied wheat? i've never used it til now.
Do you sparge? If not maybe hold back a couple of litres for a quick sparge.

no, i biab and don't sparge, but i guess i could.

i normally sit around 70 without sparging. this one wasn't terribly under, just under by about 4 gravity points (mash). the impromptu mash out got those points back, but then i lost them post boil so i was confused.

maybe it's just something i need to pay attention to for slightly larger batches now. will check for my next brew and see if it matches up. thanks mate

Bottling this today after two week ferment and 1 week cold crash:

Citra Amber Ale - 23L batch made with 8L boil:

OG:1.049
FG: 1.011
IBU: 30

3kg LDME
200g Victory
250g Dark Crystal
100g Choc Malt
150g Light Crystal Malt
US05
10g Citra at 60
15g Citra at 10
20g Citra at 5
30g Dry Hop

So far it's tasting pretty good, nice malt with yum citra. It was kinda experiment to see how Citra goes flavourwise and bittering wise so should be interesting when its ready to drink

Two 23L batches back-to-back of Orfy's Hobgoblin:

89.1% [SIZE=13.63636302948px]Simpson's Marris Otter [/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.63636302948px]5.1% [/SIZE]JW Med Crystal
3.4% JW Wheat
1.4% JW Choc malt 670 EBC
1.0% Black malt 900 EBC

67* mash for 90min, 90min boil

Fuggles 5.9% & Styrian Goldings 4.8%
18g each @ FWH
18g each 20min
18g each @ FO

IBU 28
Target OG 1.058 - 1.060
Target FG 1.014 - 1.016

Using S04 @ 18* for one batch, and for the other WY1187 @ 18* with my first attempt at water additions (pH adjust from 5.75 to 5.45, 10g CaCl, 3g MgSO4, 5g CaSO4 to get a 1.30 chloride/sulfate ratio).

Really interested to compare side by side the two, as for all intents & purposes they are the "same" beer.

Also totally stoked after a dozen BIAB's to have dialled in my setup so I'm getting 85% efficiency into the boil / ambient wort. Still no better than 74% efficiency into the fermenter though, pretty trubby 4-5L left in the kettle. Next few I might try putting more trub into the fermenter & see how it goes.

cheers!

fletcher said:

21L batch
50% pils
48% torrefied wheat
2% munich

tettnang at 60 to 15IBU
15gm mandarin zest at 5

I've seen people mention that they get lower efficiency on Wits due to the high percentage of unmalted wheat. I wouldn't worry about it.

In time for summer, inspired by last years xxxx gold clone :0

Danish gold

79.6% ding pils
7.3% Vienna
9.1% dextrose

Tetts 60 and flameout

Wy Danish lager. Heaps of it pitched cold.

13 Ibu

lukiferj said:
Another faux lager. 100% pils malt bittered to 30 IBU with hallertau and fermented with Notto. I can't seem to keep up with demand for this one. The masses are just gobbling it up.
No wonder nice & simple looks good what temp did you ferment at 16c or lower

Back