What a goose!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownsworthy

Reaction score
So this morning I started to get everything out and sorted to put down a double batch of a Single Hop Riwaka Pale Ale.

I usually have a decent supply of yeasts in the fridge though when I went to grab out the couple of packs of US05, to rehydrate, I was certain I had I found I only had a bunch of age old coopers kit yeast, 1 pk Nottingham, 1 pk m03 Newcastle dark ale, and 1 pk of m44 west coast.

What a goose I thought I'm usually on top of these things though after not having a working fermentation fridge for a couple of months I was keen to get it down today and in my excitement forgot to check my supplies yesterday when the bloody brew shop was open.

It's safe to say that in the future I will not assume these things and ensure I have what I need before putting down a brew.

I am in my early 40's now, body of a 20 year old and a mind of a 70 year old :D . If I do not write it down , I may forget or remember on the way home from the HBS.

I put a white board on my fermentation fridge and storage fridge/ freezer as to what I have and what I need. Goes along way to help not getting caught out stock wise.

I did the same last weekend only it was Whirfloc I thought I had a new packet of, yet none to be found in the middle of the boil.
It was Saturday so a hasty run to the brew shop. Only added 1 1/2 hours to the brew day. Then I forgot to add to one of the two brews anyhow doh!!!
It was a Saison that missed out so a cloudy Saison will be acceptable. -_-

Actually the Dark Ale has been renamed New World Strong and should go well in an IPA.

Should still be in good nick, if one pack is going to be enough at a pinch.

It's far from a disaster as the M44 West Coast will go well in a single hop pale ale.

goomboogo said:
It's far from a disaster as the M44 West Coast will go well in a single hop pale ale.
It's a 46L batch at 1050 one pack wont do I was thinking about using both the Nottingham and Newcastle dark but it's the first time using riwaka and wanted to use us05 to get the most out of the hops.

That's a good idea twocrows I think I'll do that I have a list of my supplies in my note book though failed to cross off the 2 packs of us05 I'd used in my last ipa.

Oh well, off to the brew shop tomorrow after work then will put it down.

Live and learn I guess.

I'll be rinsing some San Diego when I get home this arvo Brownie (Kegging that Riwaka Pale).

I'll split you off enough for a double batch if you still want to get your brew on today..

Brownsworthy said:
It's a 46L batch at 1050 one pack wont do I was thinking about using both the Nottingham and Newcastle dark but it's the first time using riwaka and wanted to use us05 to get the most out of the hops.

That's a good idea twocrows I think I'll do that I have a list of my supplies in my note book though failed to cross off the 2 packs of us05 I'd used in my last ipa.

Oh well, off to the brew shop tomorrow after work then will put it down.

Live and learn I guess.
Sorry, I missed the part about it being a double batch. The offer of some fresh San Diego sounds good.

Judanero said:
I'll be rinsing some San Diego when I get home this arvo Brownie (Kegging that Riwaka Pale).

I'll split you off enough for a double batch if you still want to get your brew on today..
fark have always wanted to use some San Diego unfortunately I'm too pissed now after sinking about 10 whilst watching the ufc.

Thanks anyhow juddy

Latest posts

Back