Well I'm Glad That's Over

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you're talking about is not a 'cable modem' as such, but an ONT (Optical Network Terminal - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_Network_Terminal#ONT), which is the interface that the Fibre connects to at the premises, and (in the case of the NBN model) has around 5 Ethernet ports on it, of which one is a POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) adaptor, allowing a telephone to be plugged straight in, as well as 3 standard Ethernet ports, and an ADSL2+ Emulation port, meaning you can use your ADSL2+ modem as it currently is.
The ONT will not cost you a cent to install, unless you wanted to buy one outright. Currently, if you sign up for an ADSL2+ or Cable plan, the modem and other associated hardware are included in your contract. This will not change at all.
And I understand that $43B seems like a lot, but when you consider that of this cost, only $26B is coming from the tax payer, and that is over the approx. 7 years of rollout, it really isn't very much money, especially considering that during the same period, we will have spent at least $1.1T on welfare (some of which is handouts like the Baby Bonus (ie: Plasma's for the kids)).
Just cant believe people would vote for Abbott.... My god.
PS: I voted for neither of the idiots ;)
Cheers
PS: Not having a go at you specifically, Thomas :)

Typically if you're one of those 'yong families' buying out in the new estates and building a house, you can expect one of these to be installed instead of the typical copper wire you get out in the 'brownlands'. These are the areas that will be first to reap the benifits of NBN or any provider with decent fiber backhaul.

POTS is dead, its all ethernet nowdays. That analogue dialtone you're used to hearing, nothing but 1's and 0's now. For all intensive purposes, its *VoIP. :icon_cheers:

*with a buttload more reliability/QoS than your typical DSL ATA.

I was surprised Labor & the coalition of the useless got up. Everyone I know voted Liberal, but then again I tend to have intelligent friends.. :icon_cheers:

:icon_cheers:

Paul

The Labor party won 71 seats in their own right. The next highest was the Liberal party on 44 seats.

The Coalition party is a party made up of so called conservative politicians. Mostly the wowsers and crossnecks from the cities and then the rest made up of country bumpkins who get royally screwed over by the Liberal party proper.

So tell me again who the coalition of the useless are?

The Labor party won 71 seats in their own right. The next highest was the Liberal party on 44 seats.
The Coalition party is a party made up of so called conservative politicians. Mostly the wowsers and crossnecks from the cities and then the rest made up of country bumpkins who get royally screwed over by the Liberal party proper.

If you notice peoples locations noted on AHB the views generally fit how their electorates panned out. I for one, am an obvious Flaming Greens Homosexual! :icon_cheers: (if only Lindsay Tanner was still there)

Im not suprised they got in, the two massive commission flats full of refugees next to my polling location and all the 'hipsters' in the inner north surely got them over the line.

The question i have is who are all those swinging voters in QLD. A complete representation backflip by the look of things.

Didn't the greens give all their preferences to Labour which got them a lot of those 71 seats? We now have a Government of labour, independents and greens, sort of a coalition in all but name :lol: .
And notice the smiley, sadly I couldn't find one for irony.

Andrew

Typically if you're one of those 'yong families' buying out in the new estates and building a house, you can expect one of these to be installed instead of the typical copper wire you get out in the 'brownlands'. These are the areas that will be first to reap the benifits of NBN or any provider with decent fiber backhaul.

POTS is dead, its all ethernet nowdays. That analogue dialtone you're used to hearing, nothing but 1's and 0's now. For all intensive purposes, its *VoIP. :icon_cheers:

*with a buttload more reliability/QoS than your typical DSL ATA.

I live about 4km as the crow flies from Sydney CBD, and my ADSL2 frequently drops out nearly every time we get heavy rain. Telstra (not my provider, but they own the copper) has said it is because the lines running down the street are 50+ years old and they have no plan on replacing them as they only have to guarantee phone connectivity, not internets.

This is high density inner-city, not some hick town. Bring on the NBN!

Didn't the greens give all their preferences to Labour which got them a lot of those 71 seats? We now have a Government of labour, independents and greens, sort of a coalition in all but name :lol: .
And notice the smiley, sadly I couldn't find one for irony.

Andrew

I'm not sure how the preference system in Australia is so hard to understand.

I voted for Greens first in my electorate with my second choice going to Labor. I did this on purpose because I wanted to send a message. My vote is a Labor vote all the same and should be counted as such. It's not some magically deal the Greens do with Labor so Labor can steal votes.

Besides, this is only applicable in the senate if you vote above the line. We're not even talking about the senate. In the lower house you number every candidate in order of preference.

I live about 4km as the crow flies from Sydney CBD, and my ADSL2 frequently drops out nearly every time we get heavy rain. Telstra (not my provider, but they own the copper) has said it is because the lines running down the street are 50+ years old and they have no plan on replacing them as they only have to guarantee phone connectivity, not internets.

This is high density inner-city, not some hick town. Bring on the NBN!

Agreed. One of the reasons why I decided to keep my phone line rather than going naked adsl. If the line was damaged telstra don't need to repair it as there wasn't a requirement to have a phone line to the house.

So frustrating that telstra are still just rolling out copper lines on RIMS in new estates to keep costs down and meaning most people can't actually get broadband. Added to that the fact that new exchanges aren't being built to support the extra houses just screams out that the private sector aren't going to do anything to improve the situation. Government had to step in. If only the Libs had jumped on board with the NBN instead of providing some adhoc rubbish and expected the private sector to do the grunt work they'd have the power. I still voted for the libs and managed to dethrone the local labor member which was good.

The only thing that pisses me off about the greens is how ill defined their overall economic policy is. They rarely talk about it, if ever. For a party that is "green" and talks about being responsible with our environment and who got a freaking HUGE share of the primary vote, they should realise that only good sustainable industry and jobs can sustain the environment. I'd love to see bob brown get off his slurry two line speeches and set the record straight on how they want to influence taxes, jobs, mining, industrial investments etc...
Australia really does not have any politicians willing to convince the people of the right way forward. These 'ticks' are all there for one term stands and it puts me off voting. Absolutely off-putting when these pollies get in front of the media and fumble for words when asked a non-rhetorical question.

I voted for Greens first in my electorate with my second choice going to Labor. I did this on purpose because I wanted to send a message. My vote is a Labor vote all the same and should be counted as such. It's not some magically deal the Greens do with Labor so Labor can steal votes.

Besides, this is only applicable in the senate if you vote above the line. We're not even talking about the senate. In the lower house you number every candidate in order of preference.

So what message did you send?

I would be interested to see how many average australians know the name of the Nationals leader?

I'm not sure how the preference system in Australia is so hard to understand.

Media reports like this are sort of what I was getting at.

The agreement would give Labor crucial Greens preferences for House of Representatives seats in all but a handful of electorates where Greens branches will exercise their right to choose otherwise. In return, Labor will direct its Senate preferences towards the Greens.

I'm not trying to have a debate and I think your correct, many voters don't understand the preference system, probably myself included.
The point I was trying to make is that Labour for all intents and purposes is now pretty much a Coalition of labour, greens and independents.

I am probably just highlighting my ignorance and apologize for contributing nothing here :huh: .

cheers
Andrew

I'd love to see bob brown get off his slurry two line speeches and set the record straight on how they want to influence taxes, jobs, mining, industrial investments etc...

You would have to tune into an unbiased, independant media source to see that.

The thing I find most amusing is the very voters that put the Labor Greens government into power will be the first to start squealing like pigs when interest rates & cost of living climb. As someone who is self employed in an industry that can fairly well self-determine the fees for my service I can pass on any increase in cost of living expenses.

You would think those who aren't so fortunate would put a little more thought into who they would vote for.

:icon_cheers:

Paul

You would think those who aren't so fortunate would put a little more thought into who they would vote for.
So Liberal voters are all self-employed well-to-dos and all Labour/Greens voters are all below the breadline bottom-feeders. You'd think Labour would have romped home if this were the case.

Why do cashed up bogans always think the world revolves around them?

So what message did you send?

There was a large swing to the Greens in my local seat as well as nationally. Now Labor know that the left-leaning Labor supporters are displeased with the fact the party have pretty much modelled themselves after Howard-era Liberals. I also emailed my local Labor candidate and told him this much.

Media reports like this are sort of what I was getting at.

In the lower house I'm pretty sure by 'preference deals' they mean that a Greens 'how to vote' card will display Greens #1, Labor #2. I'm sure this results in a percentage of votes from retards but I really doubt many Greens voters would put the Libs at number two anyway.

The thing I find most amusing is the very voters that put the Labor Greens government into power will be the first to start squealing like pigs when interest rates & cost of living climb. As someone who is self employed in an industry that can fairly well self-determine the fees for my service I can pass on any increase in cost of living expenses.

The Liberal party is the party for big business. It is a myth that they care about the little guy. Conservatives have been inventing new and wonderful ways to trick naive middle and lower class voters into believing they'll be looked after for a long time now. Trickle-down economics is one of my favourites.

Latest posts

Back