Way Too Cloudy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill D

Reaction score
Hi Guys - i kind of know that the answer at the end of this - would have been using finings to clear it up.

But ........ I brewed the Coopers Cerveza Kit with 1k of Coopers Light Dry Malt and followed normal instructions. It all fermented out Ok but the beer never seemed to clear in the barrell and still cloudy / milky looking when bottling. I bottled anyway in the hope that it would settle out and clear if left alone. Fermenter was left alone, not agitated or disturbed but it just didnt fall out like my other beers have done.

Is this something to do with the Light Dry Malt Powder in particluar?
Any other ideas - it smells Ok / tastes OK?

Thanks
2Beers

Hi Guys - i kind of know that the answer at the end of this - would have been using finings to clear it up.

But ........ I brewed the Coopers Cerveza Kit with 1k of Coopers Light Dry Malt and followed normal instructions. It all fermented out Ok but the beer never seemed to clear in the barrell and still cloudy / milky looking when bottling. I bottled anyway in the hope that it would settle out and clear if left alone. Fermenter was left alone, not agitated or disturbed but it just didnt fall out like my other beers have done.

Is this something to do with the Light Dry Malt Powder in particluar?
Any other ideas - it smells Ok / tastes OK?

Thanks
2Beers

I am firstly assumming your brew finished at about 1010

I am a fan of using 1kg of light dry malt in place of brew enhancer

Just made a coopers pale ale and bottled last week

Do you have two fermenters

I make the brew and ferment for about 5 days , then transfer it to a second sterilized fermenter ,
leaving behind any sludge ( known as trub )- this is known as racking

After 4 to 5 days I bulk prime ( using about 160 g of dextose) in the original sterilized fermenter ,
again leaving behind the sludge , which by now is very small

then bottle

I am assuming from your low number of posts you are new to the game ,
so please excuse my simple answer if you already know this method .

The extra step of racking generally gives a much clearer brew , and the bulk priming ( in it self another rack ) gives a crystal clear beer in the bottles

Rod

2 beers,

How long did you leave it in the fermenter?

Best to leave it in for at least 2 weeks before bottling. It should have cleared well
enough by then.

The old saying goes "Never bottle a cloudy beer"

cheers

BB

Not sure how long its been in the bottles but I find that some brews I make can take up to 3 or 4 weeks to clear..

It's not too late to add finings. Perhaps try using gelatine to clear it up? Could be chill haze, but I doubt it as it's a Coopers kit with LDME. No other useful suggestions from me, but just try the gelatine method - seems to work for me every time!

The old saying goes "Never bottle a cloudy beer"

?

2beers, a kit beer with LDME making up the entire amount extra fermentables will not be as clear as say a tin and all dex. It will, however, taste and feel much better - a fair trade off if you ask me. You can rack and fine and it will drop a little brighter but it isn't really worth it in my experience unless the people drinking it will turn their noses up at a little cloudiness.

Leave the bottles to condition as normal and see if you still have a problem with the finished product. RDWAHAHB, as a better old saying goes.

You can rack and fine and it will drop a little brighter but it isn't really worth it in my experience unless the people drinking it will turn their noses up at a little cloudiness.

It could be green with brown dots for all I care. Taste thats what counts.. :chug:

It could be green with brown dots for all I care. Taste thats what counts.. :chug:

Thsnkd guys - yes im relativly new. I will just have towait and see now. I dont care if its cloudy - just wondering why thats all.
Next time I will get second barrell and rack it and then bulk prime as well because i just dont think im getting the right carbonation with carbop drops.

Cheers All. I will let you all know how it goes

2beers

If you do want clear beer then finings and cold conditioning are your friend.

Personally I find clear beer often tastes better as cloudiness can be associated with yeast in suspension which can affect flavour. However if you're happy with the taste as is then it's no biggie.

It should clear in the bottles though, as long as you store them upright.

If you do want clear beer then finings and cold conditioning are your friend.

Personally I find clear beer often tastes better as cloudiness can be associated with yeast in suspension which can affect flavour. However if you're happy with the taste as is then it's no biggie.

It should clear in the bottles though, as long as you store them upright.

yep exactly as mants said, sometimes my kit beers look quite cloudy when they are finished, you dont say how long you left it in the bottle b4 you tried it, some will take 4 to 6 weeks to clear properly, just have to let the yeast drop out.if it tastes good then it is good, i make mainly pale ales and i dont like them clear, if by the time i get to the end of a keg of pale i somtimes shake it gently to make it a bit cloudy, luv the coopers yeast.
fergi

Done that one a few times of late myself.
Often bottle it a bit cloudy still, but after gassing up inn the bottle, a couple of days in the fridge and she'll be jake

yep exactly as mants said, sometimes my kit beers look quite cloudy when they are finished, you dont say how long you left it in the bottle b4 you tried it, some will take 4 to 6 weeks to clear properly, just have to let the yeast drop out.if it tastes good then it is good, i make mainly pale ales and i dont like them clear, if by the time i get to the end of a keg of pale i somtimes shake it gently to make it a bit cloudy, luv the coopers yeast.
fergi

Thanks Fergi - I only just bottled it. It came out of the fermenter after 1 week sitting (post fermentation) with a specific gravity of 1010. I just bottled it anyway - it tastes OK and smells Ok so into the bottle it went.

Cheers
2Beers

Thanks Fergi - I only just bottled it. It came out of the fermenter after 1 week sitting (post fermentation) with a specific gravity of 1010. I just bottled it anyway - it tastes OK and smells Ok so into the bottle it went.

Cheers
2Beers
[/quote

well its going to be cloudy after that short stint,while you have it out at room temp carbonating in the bottles it wont clear real quick because the yeast is still working to make your beer gassy,after you have left it for a couple of weeks to carb you can then expect it to start clearing, if you put some in the fridge they will clear quicker at the colder temp,that is after they have carbed up for the couple of weeks, however you may decide after they clear that you like the flavour of your beer while its still a bit cloudy, just like a coopers pale ale, i have tried coopers pale ale so clear that i didnt like the taste at all so i gently rolled the bottle to give it that cloudy look, then you get the real pale ale characteristics,
cheers
fergi

Nick,

Another old saying "Go and get fucked!"

:unsure:

Try as I might, I've never felt that that saying was an insult, more a compliment - especially is she's wearing leather.

This will both entertain, and shock you:

...a beer drunk cloudy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back