Way Too Cloudy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old saying goes "Never bottle a cloudy beer"
Another old saying is, "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." :p
Another old saying "Go and get fucked!"

Children, please.

Although I do think that, BB, your statement on clarity is pretty dumb.

I have found that I get clearer beer in the colder months. And as for gelatine finings, this is really a colder environs solution. OK for the winter (unless you have a dedicated fridge for fermenting), but it doesnt do much in the summer - just my observation. I would suggest that you don't worry too much about a bit of suspended yeast cloudiness, but focus on the great flavour of your beer instead ! Buy an old german stein, and you'll never know the difference.

WoW%20Beer%20Stein.preview.jpg

And as for gelatine finings, this is really a colder environs solution. OK for the winter (unless you have a dedicated fridge for fermenting), but it doesnt do much in the summer -

When I first started fining (pretty sure it was a warmer month) I noticed a significant reduction in the amount of sediment in each bottle. I wasn't massively fussed about overly clear beer (hell I think i used to neck that stuff straight from the bottle) but less sediment in the bottle suggests less sediment in the brew. Now I cold condition and fine togther (and drink, civilly, from an appropriate vessel while wearing a cravat and reading one of the poet laureates).

At the end of the day adding gelatine to a brew is so cheap and simple, it's got to be worth a shot at least once or twice.

Sure, as long as you don't end up with suspended gelatine, which I would think may contribute to a 'gamey' tasting beer. Animal product in a drink aren't really kosher. :D

I think (I could be wrong) that only happens if you add too much because then the gelatine works in a way opposite to that which it's meant to. r Forgive the retarded sentence but it's late and I should be doing something else.

Some gelatin is kosher.

When I first started fining (pretty sure it was a warmer month) I noticed a significant reduction in the amount of sediment in each bottle. I wasn't massively fussed about overly clear beer (hell I think i used to neck that stuff straight from the bottle) but less sediment in the bottle suggests less sediment in the brew. Now I cold condition and fine togther (and drink, civilly, from an appropriate vessel while wearing a cravat and reading one of the poet laureates).

At the end of the day adding gelatine to a brew is so cheap and simple, it's got to be worth a shot at least once or twice.

I agree, just to see what finings can do. I still have a small container of gelatine in the pantry and have used it twice in a year. I may dabble in it again but it's whether I can be fucked doing so. It makes a difference to clear beer, but if you're not all that fussed....

Bowie

Guys - well the cloudy beer has settled out nicely. I was really worried because it was so horrible looking compared to the normal bluemountain lager that i do.

Does the LDME fine powder make this happen do you reckon?

or maybe i just distubed things on the bottom without realising and the lee's with LDME is much easier to disturb.

Anyway - its getting close enuff to try soon.

Thanks for all tips and advice

cheers - 2beers

The yeast strain is what determines how easily the trub is roused (well, in my experience anyway). And I do find that LDME brews tend to take a little longer to clear, but again yeast plays a big part in how quickly it settles

Well guys the beer that was way to cloudy has now been sitting in the bottle for a month and a half and it has really cleared to perfection .............but it has a weird smell and taste to go with it.

I would try and describe it as a strong acrid / sulphite sort of smell but not rotten egg sulphurous if you knw what i mean. I read somewhere that an off beer can sometimes have a medicinal smell & tast but im not even sure I could sya it was medicinal so thats thats that..... So im thinking it got an infection somehow; although i was scrupulous with my cleaning.

I have tasted a couple of bottles and I think the tainted flavour has dimished somewhat - but then that could just be hopeful thinking and bottle difference I suppose.

Leave it for another couple of weeks and if tis no good then on the compost and the worms and cockies can get pissed!!

Thanks for all the help along the way.

Cheers
2beers

Back