Water causing stainless steel rust?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work in sheet metal, can you please post a pic.

Most people don't understand stainless..... (not stainFREE)

Parks said:
Shouldn't be any magnetic grade stainless in the brewery. As far as I know the only magnetic stainless is what they make knives out of.

(not that I know that much… ;))
Correct. 300 series stainless (austenitic stainless) is not magnetic. Ferritic stainless (400 series) is magnetic.

This is the Consumer Law brochure for your reference, I have it sitting on my desk at work as I deal with warranties daily.

The Act says you are generally responsible for the cost of returning the item unless the cost is "unreasonable"
Unfortunately they are purposefully vague on what the definition of unreasonable is so may find it hard to argue if $80 is unreasonable or not.....

View attachment consumer_shopping_20120111.PDF

Modification aside, if the modification did not contribute to the product failure you should have some argument to the product being ' not as advertised', as long as supplier is reasonable. Mods do void warranty however, but if it's in realms of reasonable use... Three fact is the pot would have failed regardless of the type of modification you did, doesn't exactly mean the seller hasn't sold something advertised that it wasn't, but it does become difficult to argue. Worth calmly negotiating though. You will have to wear postage though due to modification at least.

I think the fact that regardless of drilling the pot is substandard is worth "drilling" on.

Edit: a lot of consumer rights and practices etc is based on a mutual agreement between buyer and supplier, worth calmly but firmly arguing your point. Always give a long way with me.

pickaxe

Whats that saying, something about catching more flies with honey than vinegar.

tavas said:
Correct. 300 series stainless (austenitic stainless) is not magnetic. Ferritic stainless (400 series) is magnetic.
Double correct...

Chances are it might make the weld and around it magnetic, not non magnetic.

Hey guys, haven't been on in a while. Thought I'd have a look on here before I put on a brew today.

I wasn't going to post any pics as the vendor was very good to us - full replacement when I visit next and can use this pot in the interim.

But for peoples piece of mind here are some pics:

Here is the pot immediately after boiling water for a short period (around 20 mins) in a test run:

PotRust.jpg

Potrust2.jpg

Then I cleaned it up with some vinegar as best I could and this is what's left:

PotRust3.jpg

Potrust4.jpg

Not sure how these pics will turn out but you should be able to see the pitting and cracking around the weld at the base. There is also a vertical "crack" in the pot that that you can see in the third pic - it's like a ridge, I can feel it when I run my finger over it, probably 0.5mm deep.

Basically I was told by the vendor that they do get duds occasionally as they are from China and they can't test them before they get here. In saying that replacement is no problem so pretty happy with the results. Still able to brew with the gear I purchased and will visit soon. They also offered to test the next pot I purchase before I pick it up.

Cheers,

Newts

I've had an issue with leaving handwash pump-packs on two S/S sinks and a folded S/S splashback. I didn't notice until too late that when they dribble or 'ooze', the handwash is not at all gentle on stainless steel! The splashback (pictured) is the worst, and has eaten right through, but the sinks (being thicker material) 'just' have deep pitting.

Just an awareness thing that S/S is not indestructable...

(edit) The damage occurred over a period of a year or so, but I had the dispensers sitting on folded paper towel, which became saturated with the goo, and hid what was happening underneath! Talk about cussen :angry:

that splash back looks nasty. and its hand cleaner?

The rusting can be fixed, rub off the surface rust and boil some citric acid solution in the pot.

I've got some nitric acid pickling paste here, but that doesn't help you..

Shouldn't be any magnetic grade stainless in the brewery. As far as I know the only magnetic stainless is what they make knives out of.

(not that I know that much… ;))
I'll have to remind my induction cooker that it shouldn't be able to work then! While I'm at it, I'll tell the magnet that it can't stick to the stainless rod downstairs either. ;)

To the OP, that sucks about your bad luck with the pot, but it sounds like you got it sorted out pretty well. Keep us all posted on how the replacement pot stands up.

PS. That photo of the splashback is a corker! "Real ingredients, real effects". No shit eh? It's a good thing the added jasmine will help you calm down after paying for a new splashback.

Back