Victorian 2017 Xmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thinking outside the square Mardoo:

Why not have the best of both worlds this weekend & do the V2 Amber concurrent with the collab. brew? Folks will have trailers etc. available for transporting gear the short distance to Adam's place.

Win-Win?

I had suggested the possibility on Idzy's small rig, but hadn't heard anything from him. I'm not sure he's checked the thread of late. We could bring mine around I suppose, but was planning on using its HEX and pump for one of the mash tuns.

Actually I just had a fermenter sample. I got it into the fermenter Monday, it has about 14 points to go, so I’ll dry hop it today. I’m 99% sure what the next step will be, but I’d like to taste some grain combinations over the weekend to check my thinking. I’ll post my final proposed recipe at that point.

I hopped this a lot more classically than I usually do and it sure is nice tasting some old hop friends I haven’t used much in the last couple years. Cascade, Columbus, Chinook, Simcoe, and the odd one out, Ahtanum.

.... The next step I would try is:

Simpson's Golden Promise 81% (175 kg)
Gladfield Supernova 12% (25 kg)
Simpson's Heritage Crystal 7% (15kg)

I suspect the Aromatic is burying the Supernova, and the Supernova needs a bump. I'll be trying this one next.

Edit: Oh, and that's 660L/30 cubes at 1.070. The dilution worked pretty well.
Hey mardoo, is this the grist of the V2?

Okie dokie, I'm happy enough with this to put it up as a proposal for the recipe - 78% Simpsons Golden Promise, 12% Gladfield Supernova, 3.5% Light Crystal, 3.5% Dark Crystal, 3% Biscuit to 1.060, 30 IBU's up front in the boil, rest in cube according to cuber's delight.

Oh, and Martin said we could order through Clever.

I think it worked well at the collaboration brew to mill the grain at a particular Clever place. Maybe if we ask nicely enough we might be able to do a similiar thing. Im hopefully going to organise the Friday off so might be able to do it again.

I think it worked well at the collaboration brew to mill the grain at a particular Clever place. Maybe if we ask nicely enough we might be able to do a similiar thing. Im hopefully going to organise the Friday off so might be able to do it again.
I'll see if i can arrange for the day to give you a hand

Okie dokie, I'm happy enough with this to put it up as a proposal for the recipe - 78% Simpsons Golden Promise, 12% Gladfield Supernova, 3.5% Light Crystal, 3.5% Dark Crystal, 3% Biscuit to 1.060, 30 IBU's up front in the boil, rest in cube according to cuber's delight.

Excellent!
Thanks a truckload for doing the test batches.
Any reason you're proposing to use Light & Dark crystal rather than the Heritage crystal?

So this is two weeks out! We had better get a wriggle on.

Is it up to me to organise the grain for this or Mardoo are you onto this already? And hops too, what hops? Will we get these through Clever.

Let's get this going! :)

We need to decide if we're doing all the same cube hopping or if everyone sorts themselves out for a bit of variance.
(I vote for the latter on this one).
If it's the former we need to decide all the different hops (obviously [emoji1]), if it's the latter I'd just chuck some magnum, chinook or simcoe at it.

What did @Mardoo do for V1 & V2? What's his thoughts on this?

Just magnum for the brew, people provide their own cube hops. I recommend citrus, stone fruit and dank for this recipe. The dank really makes the Amber flavours sing. Solely fruit flavours leave it a bit flabby.

Sorry to have gone quiet, sorting out some shit at home. I’m not in a position to organise a **** in a brothel with a fistful of 50’s at the moment. My apologies.

Latest posts

Back