Victorian 2017 Xmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However I definitely blame Rusty for this:
IMG_5139.jpg

******* yeast.
*shakes fist at sky*

Just threw some WLP022 at this. OG was 1.044/5 and when I emptied the cube it was half full of hop flowers. Lost a lot of wort to the flowers but salvaged some for starters. I'm calling it "Amber The Bitter B!tch" definitely bitter but I think it will turn out great with 300g of flowers in the cube.

I pitched mine today as well. Same OG as husky. Pitched with some M-44 slurry. Smelled and tasted great! Depending on how the cube hops carry through I may give it a small dry hop.

Pressure ferment 1 BAR @ 21 deg = ready! Really impressed with this and is super tasty. It does have a slight bitterness that dissipates and I reckon will mellow with time but I wouldn't change a thing. Tasty as!

Great to hear Husky!

Just making a starter for mine and will be starting fermenting tomorrow! Can't wait to try it.

Just put this down but forgot to take a reading.

I'm going to assume it's around the 1.045-1.046 mark.

Now hurry up and ferment so I can drink!!

Sounds good' I'll leave as is and pressure ferment with us05 on the weekend, cheers

Pitched yesterday arvo. Burton ale, nice active starter... Bubbling away happily this morning.

My cube got about 150g hops, so I'm adding a can of Cooper's wheat malt and a few litres of water to bump it up to 25L @ 1.060. First time I've used liquid extract for a while :)

IMG_5204.jpg

Before you get too excited, this is the test batch of Rusty's Rye APA.
******* tasty.
Done with 059, plus 40g of Columbus & 25g each of cascade and simcoe.
Nice simple malt backbone to support the mildly face slapping hops.

One secret: CC as soon as dry hopped and bottle/keg within 2-3 days - maintains the dank resiny element. And use Columbus.

Boo. *******. Yah.

Edit: ie: I find a really big difference in the nature of the hops impact between days 2 & 3, and also day 3 & 4. By day 4, a lot of the resinous element seems to have dissipated.

Last edited:
Just tasted the Amber whilst taking a hydro reading. It's a bit bitter but still drinkable. Looking forward to this.

As a side note, down to 1.011 in 4 days! Brilliant :)

Been finished in the fermenter for a week or so now. Sampled and the bitterness has mellowed already. Decided to dry hop with 7g/L cascade for that extra yum, might do a second after 3 days will see. Going to try CC at start of dry hop too so also set to 1 degC today.

IMG_0923.JPG

Transferred mine to a 2ndary FV today, on top of 50g each of Columbus & Simcoe & 40g of Chinook.
I think mine got down to 1.008-9 on a 059 yeast cake.
Gave it a quick stir an hour later then into the CC fridge for 2 days at 3.5*C.
Nom. Nom. Nom.

I kegged mine Monday and had a delicious glass last night. Looking forward to another (4 or 5) when I get home...

For anyone interested, it got down to 1.008 on half a us-05 cake

Latest posts

Back