Victorian 2017 Xmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any thoughts at throwing WLP022 Essex Ale Yeast at this cube? I went for 160g homegrown cascade and 120g homegrown Chinook in my cube and keen to try this yeast out.

I reckon it will work fine, although that’s an arseload of hops for 1.052! Chinook originally has English roots.

yeah, even at the planned 1.060 it was always going to be a big hop! Plan to let it mellow in the keg for 6 months and bring to the winter swap if it's not crazy bitter.

It's roughly 5 times more hops than i planned to use for my cube. And that was going to get it to ~80 IBUs. Your's will be off the charts, husky!
Admittedly when filling my cube i ended up thinking **** it i can't be bothered trying to split of the excess hops in my vac bag and trying to seal it. So the whole lot went in, ~100g total instead of the 80g i intended. Unfortunately was a bit short for the spare/excess big & little cubes i luckily got filled at the end (thanks, guys!) so in hindsight could've used that extra 20g about 5 mins later. :D

What was the OG at whirlpool/flameout? 1.052?
And final vol? 600L?

From memory it calced up at 80 or 90 IBU using Beersmith WP addition @ 50% utilisation for 20 minutes. It is a hoppy amber afterall!
Will need to re check OG when pitching as there was some variability in the numbers Russ was getting. My notes have pre boil 1.054 and post boil 1.052 which is obviously wrong. The sample tasted maltier that 1.052

Good news: drained my cube and measured OG.
Less good news: OG=1.046-8 [emoji15]
Good news : I kinda needed a regular Amber for the summer anyway, so this is great for me!
Slightly less good news: it's pretty ******* bitter with 80g of chinook&columbus flowers in da cube.
Hopeful good news: it's on a 059 yeast cake, which I'd suspect/hope will drop a little bitterness as the yeast flocs out

Anyway, the hydro sample tastes pretty ******* good

So mine must be an Amber RIS? 200g of pellet hops. Wowee, who’s coming over for a tasting once it is on tap?

By my calcs dropping the gravity only increases the IBUs from 70 to 77.8... should be fine. Looking forward to brewing this, hopefully get to ferment it soon.

So mine must be an Amber RIS? 200g of pellet hops. Wowee, who’s coming over for a tasting once it is on tap?

By my calcs dropping the gravity only increases the IBUs from 70 to 77.8... should be fine. Looking forward to brewing this, hopefully get to ferment it soon.

Lol. I went from 82 to 100.9 IBUs.
Interesting the difference in calculators, especially considering I used ~40% of the amount of hops, & they were flowers.
What were the pellets?
I just did a quick calc assuming they're 13%AA chinook: 215 IBUs [emoji15][emoji51] [emoji23]
... An Amber Session IIIPA
Or does that make it an Amber XXXPA?

@Rusty, no stress, it's all good! We/you made beer, and I'm pretty sure it'll still be very tasty as well.

Lol. I went from 82 to 100.9 IBUs.
Interesting the difference in calculators, especially considering I used ~40% of the amount of hops, & they were flowers.
What were the pellets?
I just did a quick calc assuming they're 13%AA chinook: 215 IBUs [emoji15][emoji51] [emoji23]
... An Amber Session IIIPA
Or does that make it an Amber XXXPA?

Chinook 12.7%, Citra 13.9%, Columbus 13.9% and Simcoe 13.2%.

In Beersmith I dropped the efficiency until I got the actual OG (58% BH efficiency actually) which states 77.9IBUs. I only calculated as a 10minute steep. Not realising that the BFK provides far hotter wort than I get at home, so that's probably why I'm underestimating the IBU. Still keen AF to taste what it turns out like, it will be RAD. XXXXXXAA is my new style :p

I'm probably going to brew a Session IPA this weekend and as it's 90% Flame Out Hops I reckon a transfer of x ltrs prior to hopping could be used to get the case swap brew into the 45 IBU range. No stress.

Ohh crap, sorry guys :(

Mate, you did great. There were plenty of us there who could have been helping you out. I didn’t realise until an hour in that the second mash tun was running at 70C. Also, IF the base was in fact TFFMGP we should have mashed a bit differently. I’ve gotten low OG’s before on their malts from short single infusions. However we weren’t really sure.

Whatever the case, there will be beer. And it will be bitter, so let’s not be :D

And another positive: I'm fairly over high grav beers for a while. Especially after my Surprise! Belgian series made its appearance- instead of have 5-6.5% beers, I now have 4 slabs of 6.5% & 4 slabs of 9.5% to get through. Let's just say my Belgian IPA is a bit of a showstopper.
For me personally, I'm much happier it's more like a 5-6% than an 8% Amber.
Winning!!

Thanks all for your positive comments, I will stop worrying!

Can't wait to get this fermented! Just semi easily solved fermentation fridge issues to resolve. Better hurry otherwise I won't have anything for Christmas :(

Latest posts

Back