Victorian 2017 Xmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. Pretty much.
As per my thoughts above, I'd see how his batch goes, and tweak from there. I reckon it'll be a choice between biscuit & aromatic, otherwise keeping the rest of it as above (post #104).

I won't get to the batch this weekend. I got whacked with the flu stick on Monday and it's just been getting worse. My poor new heart is in shock ;) I will definitely get to it next weekend though, unless someone wants to drop round and get the grain and hops and brew it themselves.

Last edited:
With ya there Mardoo this flu SUX. My aches and pains from old age and youthful stupidity, now have their own aches and pains from this crap flu. I need sleep.

And chop chop, lazy boy!
I thought now that you've got the new heart you'd have no excuses!

Only kidding [emoji1]
Next week will definitely be fine [emoji4]
Hope you're (both) feeling better ASAP.

... Hey, maybe we could use both biscuit AND aromatic. Why choose between 2 awesome malts! [emoji57]

I thought we were keeping the grain bill simple ;)

That sucks Mardoo and malt junkie. I also have it and it fucks around with my asthma every time. Still can't breathe.

And yeah wait for the second time to come around.

Just out of interest, is there anyone who wants an Amber Ale instead of an Amber IPA?

The thought occurred to me that we could be over engineering this to cater for 2 options when maybe everyone is happy with the single option.

In terms of output volume (the original/primary reason we went down the dual path) we could still boost the OG with some dex and DME in the boil, so the mash size isn't a limiting factor.
So we still make the beer like an Amber Ale, then add in 5% dex & 5% DME. This takes a, say, 5.5% Amber to a 6.3% Amber (eg: 5kg grain per 22L cube, at 75% extraction eff).
I'm just thinking that if everyone wants the IPA version it might be easier to chuck the powders into the kettle rather than everybody have to do it individually later on. Also makes the hops a little more straightforward.

If there's still some who prefer an Amber rather than the IPA then that's fine and we continue on with that strategy. Just thought I'd check were not over complicating things.

Last edited:
The 2 versions of the beer from Mardoo's recipe.
The first is done to 5.5%:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1504316647.394660.jpg

And for those who like the graph:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1504316690.512139.jpg

The second is the same grist, but with 5% (0.275kg) each of dex & DME added, plus moar hops:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1504316769.509290.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1504316787.593612.jpg

Which takes it to 6.3%.

How's that look?

I would prefer the ipa as I'm enjoying ipas at the moment. But happy to go with the majority.

I'm similar. I'll probably brew whichever one we don't do at the swap (as well as the one we do). So I'm happy either way.

I'd have to check the thread, but I don't recall anyone NOT wanting an IPA or being adamant about having an Amber Ale instead of the IPA. (Hence my query about over engineering [emoji57]).

Just out of interest, is there anyone who wants an Amber Ale instead of an Amber IPA?

The thought occurred to me that we could be over engineering this to cater for 2 options when maybe everyone is happy with the single option.

In terms of output volume (the original/primary reason we went down the dual path) we could still boost the OG with some dex and DME in the boil, so the mash size isn't a limiting factor.
So we still make the beer like an Amber Ale, then add in 5% dex & 5% DME. This takes a, say, 5.5% Amber to a 6.3% Amber (eg: 5kg grain per 22L cube, at 75% extraction eff).
I'm just thinking that if everyone wants the IPA version it might be easier to chuck the powders into the kettle rather than everybody have to do it individually later on. Also makes the hops a little more straightforward.

If there's still some who prefer an Amber rather than the IPA then that's fine and we continue on with that strategy. Just thought I'd check were not over complicating things.

I am happy to do whatever.

Will someone post the agreed on "expected recipe" prior to the event? Keen to add it to my list in beersmith. If I were to take notes on the day I'm sure they would be illegible as the night wore on.

RRupI.jpg

OK guys, looks like I'll be able to brew my proposed recipe this weekend. I managed to cobble together a 3V out of all the bits I've accumulated. I've been gypsy (and ill) so long I've never managed to get my real system built. But now, it's in sight!

I'm brewing it at the 1.073-ish gravity, and brewing 33L so I can run one ferment at full gravity, and dilute one back to 1.050-ish. Best thing? My 6-year old daughter is totally stoked about brewing with me! I'll report in post-brew.

Last edited:
Great to hear you're getting a little brewing window organized!

Fwiw I'd advocate brewing a 1.053-5 version, and boost one batch up to ~1.065-70 with some dex & DME. Utilizing that option for the big brew at the swap should result in more cubes for all who want them, which was the purpose for proposing it.
However I appreciate that if you were to brew a small batch for yourself, I'd generally go strong and then dilute.
Just my opinion, and whichever way you decide will be great [emoji6].

Mate, if I took people's advice I'd be healthy, wealthy and wise...maybe it's time to start, eh? ;)

We'll see what happens. However, if I was making one strictly for myself, I'd be likely to thin it out with sugar, and at starting 1.070-ish, that gets into the dropping-the-third-pint-because-I-forgot-to-hold-on range, so lower makes some solid sense.

Well, TB and MJ, I totally agree about the aromatic. Since I'm targeting this towards fruity hops it's absolutely the go. If I were going for stanky dank hops I might choose the biscuit, but here, aromatic wins the day.

I ended up going with higher gravity to dilute back. Mofox1 gets it ;)

This might be my only Katie Perry powered brew day :D

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1504928692.739575.jpg

Back