Victorian 2017 Xmas Case Swap - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's likely too late to organise getting the grain for through the Bulk Buy. I like the recipe I came up with, but it can be better. The next step I would try is:

Simpson's Golden Promise 81% (175 kg)
Gladfield Supernova 12% (25 kg)
Simpson's Heritage Crystal 7% (15kg)

I suspect the Aromatic is burying the Supernova, and the Supernova needs a bump. I'll be trying this one next.

Edit: Oh, and that's 660L/30 cubes at 1.070. The dilution worked pretty well.

Any need for any of these hops in the brew? I made out like a bandit at an auction yesterday... and now have more hops than I know what to do with.
Maybe the NB for bittering? It's free btw.

Saaz - 300g
Hallertau - 700g
Goldings - 100g
Perle US - 450g
Tettnanger - 600g
Northern Brewer - 500g
Cluster - 100g

Last edited:
Which auction was that Lax?

There was another lot of hops that went for $160 - with probably $2k worth in that lot. 13 boxes with an open 5kg bag in each one, various levels of 'fullness' to each bag, but most were at least half full. A few unopened 1kg bags in there as well...

Shit! A mate sent me a link for that auction. Great score on the hops!

Haven’t had a chance to run the second version of my suggestion yet. I’m unsure whether I will get to, as I’ve just realised I need to brew my swap beer yet, and the collab day is coming up. We could run the second swap suggestion side-by-side on Idzy’s small system in the Collab day, if that system is good to go.

We could also go with Jamie’s West Coast Amber, as it’s a known quantity. Good example of a hoppy Amber.

So MJ raised a good point in the other thread. We are running out of time.

I think perhaps this West coast amber might be the go for a lack of anything else.

Maybe something to put-down for next winter?

Batch was about 40L.:

7.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) 65.5 %
1.00 kg Amber Malt (Joe White) (45.3 EBC) 8.7 %
0.55 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) 4.8 %
0.50 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) 4.4 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) 4.4 %
0.40 kg Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC) 3.5 %

60.00 g Willamette [6.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min 25.2 IBUs (I didn't have any Fuggles, so went with it's poor American cousin).
50.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [4.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min 17.3 IBUs
1.00 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil for 45 min](0.0 EBC) 8.7 %
50.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [4.50 %] - Boil 25.0 min 11.5 IBUs

Dry hopped with about 50g of EKG for a few days.

It'll probably run at about 6.5% ABV. Perfect for quiet fireside contemplation in the depths of winter.

Yes, you purists will notice that I used Dextrose & all crappy JW specialty malts. All of them were horribly out of date & probably should've been chucked or fed to the chooks. The hops were similarly tired.

This was intended for a family member (a bit of a juice-junky), but ended-up being my swap-beer for winter 2014. Folks were so impressed with it, I put it into a competition....

Got 1st place in the Porter category at Vicbrew 2014 & a 4th at the Nationals in the same year... so NER NER to the purists! :p

Nah, I just know how to make good beer from crap ingredients. Proof that you CAN make a silk purse from a pig's ear..;)

I'd be happy to go with the Amber. Keep it fairly simple in the mash & boil, and we can cube hop to our heart's content.

I'd also be happy with the Porter if that was the consensus (though we did just do a stout)... but, why the feck would we use JW when we've got Simpsons???
Oh, and i see you accidentally wrote Wheat Malt instead of Oat Malt. Silly Martin!.

Nah, I just know how to make good beer from crap ingredients. Proof that you CAN make a silk purse from a pig's ear..;)

Actually the best kolsch I ever made was when the brew shop substituted JW pilsner for the Weyermann I ordered (without asking!). People LOVED it.

Recipe-wise I’d rather do a tried and tested one. That said, the Amber I did has at least had one version tried. I just won’t have time to give it another go, unless I skip the collab brew this weekend. I could crack out V2 if folks wanted me to have another go. Then we’d have a good idea by about Nov 5.

But then again, MartinOC’s Porter was freakin’ lovely, and I’d happily drink that any day of the week.

Zero attachment to my recipe being brewed, but if it is, I’d rather know it was where I wanted it. Where things stand, I’d vote for Martin’s unless I run V2 this weekend.

I'd prefer you to come to the collab brew :) But I'm a bit selfish :) Do you have a recipe for the tried and tested hoppy amber?

Ok, lets have a vote. Whatever has the most votes on Friday will be brewed. If you don't vote then you cannot complain :)

Martin's Porter

Or

Hoppy Amber

I will tally the votes and then organise the grain/hops

Copy and paste
--------------------------------

AHB Decides

Nullnvoid - Hoppy Amber

Ok, lets have a vote. Whatever has the most votes on Friday will be brewed. If you don't vote then you cannot complain :)

Martin's Porter

Or

Hoppy Amber

I will tally the votes and then organise the grain/hops

Copy and paste
--------------------------------

AHB Decides

Nullnvoid - Hoppy Amber
DJ_L3ThAL - Martins Porter

AHB Decides

Nullnvoid - Hoppy Amber
DJ_L3ThAL - Martins Porter