VICBREW 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not entered anything via Compmaster (I don't need to, being involved in the "inner sanctum" as it were...), but I believe you'd get a confirmation if you did (or at least you'd KNOW if it didn't happen). If you used a paper-based entry, then no, you won't receive a confirmation (logistical nightmare!).

I suggest you go somewhere over there <^> & wait & see what happens (the Gorilla will be with you shortly....... :D ).

I tried compmaster but it didn't work. Sent me to a dead end page. My entries were all on paper (and in bottles of course). Anyway I'll keep coming back to check the progress. I assume my beers are in there somewhere ;-)

Yob said:
You making an early start on specialty martin?
Erm...do you mean am I going to start drinking them early on Saturday? Well, no, since I'm the one bloke that HAS to stay sober throughout. Are we starting judging on Specialties early? 'Kin oath we are (largest category!), so I want to break the back of it as much as possible on Saturday. The first ones out should be nice & cold... :p . Why do you ask? Wanna steward them?? I can swing it for you if you want (used, unmarked, small-denomination, non-sequentially numbered bills preferred...).

scientzing4beer said:
I tried compmaster but it didn't work. Sent me to a dead end page. My entries were all on paper (and in bottles of course). Anyway I'll keep coming back to check the progress. I assume my beers are in there somewhere ;-)
Rest easy, mate. As long as you completed the entries correctly & dropped them at one of the designated points (& paid for them!), all will be well. Relax, don't worry & have a homebrew (as the saying goes...).

A quick (maybe stupid) question about judging.

There are 25 prize categories, some with as many as 9 subcategories. Are prizes given to the main categories only taking the subcategories as part of the main category, or are they awarded to the subcategories? EG is there an award for 17.2 Saison, or is it awarded to 17 Farmhouse & wild ales?

Overall category winners and place getter receive a trophy and the right to enter beer into the same category at the Nationals.
Apart from the trophies, the only other physical prizes are for Best Beer in show and Champion Brewer.

Wot he said ^.

The reason for the sub-categories is that there are specific style guidelines which the judges use to judge accuracy to style (otherwise, it would just be a case of saying "I like this beer, whatever it is").

MartinOC said:
The reason for the sub-categories is that there are specific style guidelines which the judges use to judge accuracy to style (otherwise, it would just be a case of saying "I like this beer, whatever it is").
That's what we do for Hogs Choice. But I see that it's impractical for VicBrew.

BUMP!!!!

Folks, we're fine for Stewards on Saturday, but it looks like we definitely could do with an extra couple of hands on the Sunday, since some of the larger categories will carry-over from the Saturday.

Don't forget that lunch is provided for all those that are involved (& the beer is free).

If you'd like to come along & help-out, it would be most appreciated & it's a great day.

You can contact me here via PM & I'll get back to you ASAP (I don't carry my laptop with me everywhere I go & don't have one of those clever phones!), or contact me on 0417 521 372.

Cheers,

Martin

Looks like a big day for the judges on Specs.Sadly,due to ill health I've cancelled attending,but I have 1 ticket for the Cantillon Zwanze Day special release later that night.The ticket gets you a tasting of their special beer brewed only for this day.The BBC has the only keg in Australia.Happy to give it away free.A Melbourne Brewer is preferred,but it's first in best dressed.Pm me if you're keen and I'll send you the link to print the ticket up.

I'm going to BBC on Sat night but missed out on a ticket for the Zwanze beer. I'd love to put it to good use for you toper if it's still up for grabs.

AaronP said:
I'm going to BBC on Sat night but missed out on a ticket for the Zwanze beer. I'd love to put it to good use for you toper if it's still up for grabs.
You'll have to see Martin there now Aaron,he's listed his phone number here so give him a call and see if it's still available .

oh come on!!! details!?! is everyone written off from the tasting?

**** yeah..

Cudos to the judjes.. epic flights today :super:

some very fine examples of style.. some.. well you know, ya get a little good with a little that.. needs some care.. nonetheless... fine tasting was had today.

Epic indeed!

Despite a HUGE number of large categories, the judges & stewards managed to knock-over a few categories that were expected to have to carry-over into tomorrow, so tomorrow looks like it will be much easier than I had expected.

We negotiated for the finished IPA panel judges (who were absolute GUNS!!) to take-on the last few APA's (with a crossover, so there was consistency in judging), so that doesn't have to carry-over to tomorrow. That's the first time I've EVER had to negotiate across-over in judging panels, but everything worked well.

Some of the judges from today said that since they had finished, but were already committed to a two-day job,that they would turn-up tomorrow & take-up the slack if any of the other panels needed a hand getting through the numbers.

Gotta love the teamwork & commitment that gets us through this!

We had to postpone the Mead judging, since the planned Judges (committee members!) were flat-out getting stuff done on beery-things, but I reckon it'll all happen tomorrow.

Jeez! You guys have no idea how much juggling it takes to keep this event happening!!

I can ALWAYS use extra hands for the Stewarding, so if you're thinking of turning up, do so, introduce yourself & be prepared to get involved in the biggest homebrew competition in the Southern Hemisphere!!

EDIT: **** me! Do I HAVE to advertise FREE beer to get people to turn-up & help-out? What about the FUN!!????

Latest posts

Back