VICBREW 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cracked a second place for my cal common, happy with that!

Thanks to all the judges and stewards and everyone who helped out!

A big thanks to the stewards and judges, gratz to all competitors and good luck with the nationals

Yob said:
Grumpy Paul, you *******..

And we'll done, 121.5 is a fine score
Thanks, I'm pretty stoked with that score - I have to let you and everyone else at the Swap can take part of the credit for that one. I'll take credit for yeast choice, fermentation and adding the raspberries - you guys get credit for wort production.

Also happy with a fourth place 123 points for the straight Scottish Ale.

My three entries are all reverse order from what I thought they would.

I thought the Oaked Scottish ale would do best - it ranked 25 in specialties. Whereas the straight Scottish Ale was a single bottle I couldn't fit in the corny I used for secondary with the Oak (I never even tasted it). It was a second thought entry for the fun of it.

mxd said:
A big thanks to the stewards and judges, gratz to all competitors and good luck with the nationals
And a well done to you for Runner Up Champion Beer

Thanks for everyone who judged this competition, and all the stewards who got free beer and food (kidding).

Seems I (Martin Pribble) took out the gong for best IPA with a not too shabby score of 120.5, which I am stoked about, because I've never entered a beer in a competition before, and I wasn't going to enter that one at all!

Thanks Martin and the committee, looks like I'm off to the nationals!

As for the other 2 beers, My porter came in 21st with 74pts (not last), and the saison came in at 27th with 77.7pts (also not last). But the win certainly has me excited to get on with the brewing!

EDIT: OH and congrats to all the other winners too! It's certainly an impressive showing!

Wonder if some of the No Clubbers might be Merri Mashers????

It would be good to see the newly formed club have a presence recognised

syl said:
Yes, noticed that too! I am no club, but got filed as Westgate (compmaster error???) so Martin is going to fix that.
Westgate would be happy you have you as a member syl

Update on the results:

The person known around here as Relaxed Brewer actually got a 3rd in APA's (a duplicate scoresheet was entered during the cross-over between judging panels).

Congrat's RB. You're off to the Nationals after all!!

Had the privilege of tasting RB's APA & AAA at the case swap and they were both fantastic beers with exceptional balance. We'll deserved.

syl said:
Yes, noticed that too! I am no club, but got filed as Westgate (compmaster error???) so Martin is going to fix that.
PM me your CM username and I'll look into it...

Andy

Well done to all brewers…whether you won, placed or just entered! The number of high quality entries makes this event massive! Thanks to all judges and stewards…it was my first time judging and I found the environment very supportive. I was fortunate to be alongside a couple of experienced judges who provided great encouragement and guidance on the various aspects of judging - without seeking to influence my perceptions or sway my scoring. A BIG Thank You to the organising committee for all their hard work behind the scenes in making this event happen… without your efforts the brewers would have nothing to enter and the judges/stewards nothing to serve or judge.

From our humble club’s perspective, it was exciting to see 17 entries from 7 brewers…a massive step up from last year and hopefully the start of bigger and better things from the Geelong Craft Brewers.

There was a heck of a lot of ‘no club’ entrants with some high quality beers…if you happen to be one of those brewers and live in the Greater Geelong area, we would love to hear from you!

Alistair

GalBrew said:
So Martin, who are we dropping off our entries for the nationals to??? :beerbang:
Weeeelllll, since we're both Committee members, technically, that makes us both eligible drop-points. How about we drop to each other & then decide to dump on the Goon anyway?? :D

MartinOC said:
Weeeelllll, since we're both Committee members, technically, that makes us both eligible drop-points. How about we drop to each other & then decide to dump on the Goon anyway?? :D
Good point.....and good solution!

Yeah, after dropping Rochefort 8 all over the floor of my partner's car on the way out (& botting her smokes), methinks there's some pay-back there....

Back