VICBREW 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, ive only been brewing for 12 months and Vic brew was my first comp. To my utter surprise I scored 120 points and placed second in American pale ale!
To answer poggers question, I'm a biab brewer on a $300 rig I set up myself and a trusty stc 1000. And that's why I love brewing, I've just proven we don't need big dollar setups to make great beer.
Cheers all and thanks to the judges.

OK guys, I've got the answer for your Nationals entries.

Grain & Grape are a drop-off point until Saturday. There's two Committee members who have been assigned the job of receiving & posting, but I don't want to post addresses on a public forum, so the best thing for you to do is contact Mark Hibberd (the Competition Organiser) & he'll set you on the right path. His phone & email address are in the OP.

Good luck to all!

Dmtc80 said:
Hi all, ive only been brewing for 12 months and Vic brew was my first comp. To my utter surprise I scored 120 points and placed second in American pale ale!
To answer poggers question, I'm a biab brewer on a $300 rig I set up myself and a trusty stc 1000. And that's why I love brewing, I've just proven we don't need big dollar setups to make great beer.
Cheers all and thanks to the judges.
Yeah well I've spent 10 times as much as you (conservatively) so suck shit!!!

Wait....

Brewed my winning IIPA in a $50 plastic fermenter, a $60 plastic bucket tun and an $80 aluminium 22L pot on my crappy stovetop in my kitchen and got 120.5pts.

Thanks Martin, I'll take mine down on Friday.

scientzing4beer said:
Brewed my winning IIPA in a $50 plastic fermenter, a $60 plastic bucket tun and an $80 aluminium 22L pot on my crappy stovetop in my kitchen and got 120.5pts.

And now the hardest part, to replicate the masterpiece. Many a brewer has made an award winning beer and been unable to find that special something again.

10gzs0o.jpg

scientzing4beer said:

I'm up for this pissing competition.

My Scottish Ale only got fourth place....but scored 123.

I brewed it in secondhand urn that cost $15 with a $10 grain bag.

Fermented in my first ever Coopers fermenter that I got for my birthday about 10 years ago with the kit that got me started on this obsession.

Anyone do it cheaper?

Aha! It was a parochial pissing contest. OK, I'll play:

I got a 1st in Porter with just 117 points (& it wasn't a small category, either). 'Haven't brewed anything in 10 years & only entered ONE beer in the comp.

Pretty good strike-rate, I'd say! :D

MartinOC said:
Aha! It was a parochial pissing contest. OK, I'll play:

I got a 1st in Porter with just 117 points (& it wasn't a small category, either). 'Haven't brewed anything in 10 years & only entered ONE beer in the comp.

Pretty good strike-rate, I'd say! :D
Surely one win in 10 years is nothing to be proud of? :p

You gotta enter to win anything.

One beer entered in the biggest homebrew comp. in the Southern Hemisphere, after 10 years of NOT entering (nor even brewing!).

You do the maths....Ner ner! :D

GrumpyPaul said:
I'm up for this pissing competition.

My Scottish Ale only got fourth place....but scored 123.
As a NSW brewer I was perusing the scores and saw that category and the scores. Said to my Dad 'I would be pissed to get 2nd/3rd/4th with those scores!' Predicting a Vic clean sweep in that Cat with those scores?

Ah! Blokes & booze....

A fatal combination when mixed with testosterone... :chug:

Would I be right in saying that we'll be getting our judging sheets via email if we didn't enter online?

No, sport, it's the other way around.

Anything entered via Compmaster (ie. online) "should" be going out tonight or tomorrow (depending on Andy's personal workload).

The physical judging sheets were picked-up from my place tonight & will be sent-out by snailmail for those who made paper entries.

Since Collingwood aren't playing in the final, I guess it will be sooner rather than later, or (worst-case scenario), all the paperwork will be sorted during the "game" on Saturday (I have absolutely NO interest in anything footy-related & won't be involved).

Edit: That means the physical sheets will be mailed-out early next week (latest).

Black n Tan said:
Westgate would be happy you have you as a member syl
I thought I registered as a No-Clubber. Yet I got written up as a Melbourne Brewer. Fine with me I guess but I haven't been to any club meetings in a few months due to other engagements and to be honest it's a bit too far from where I live (club meetings are in Ferntree Gully, I'm in Caulfield/Elsternwick...)

That said... Im curious which clubs are closer to me?

And I'm blown away that my Belgian Imperial IPA scored a 112.5!!!
I've only been brewing since April!

Lochem said:
I thought I registered as a No-Clubber. Yet I got written up as a Melbourne Brewer. Fine with me I guess but I haven't been to any club meetings in a few months due to other engagements and to be honest it's a bit too far from where I live (club meetings are in Ferntree Gully, I'm in Caulfield/Elsternwick...)

I don't think any club wants to take credit for a non-member's achievements. As syl did let the rank and file know. Did you update your Compmaster profile? Or is there a bug in Compmaster???

It's likely it may be listed as such in my profile; I'll have to check.
Great club to be in, made some good friends but it's a fair bit of a drive :(

Lochem said:

Bayside brewers is probably closest..Im in Cheltenham... Great Club and Melbournes Biggest ATM..got an Oktoberfest in 2 weeks if you want to come along

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/82040-bayside-brewers-oktoberfest-2014/

Also a meeting next week in Brighton next week

Latest posts

Back