VICBREW 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 beers, 5 entries due to category uncertainty, I figure if my drambuie oaked stout bombs in specialty, itll probably do well on its own merit, same with my monster bel/barlywine/IIIPA

Also entered a mandarina baveria pale ale, good luck picking the hops in that one judges.. lol

We don't need to pick the hops though Yob - just judge whether the flavour is appropriate to style.

That said, I'm going to write 'too much mandarina barvaria' on every score sheet I write just to piss you off. Might confuse every other entrant but at least I'll get you.

Yob said:
3 beers, 5 entries due to category uncertainty, I figure if my drambuie oaked stout bombs in specialty, itll probably do well on its own merit, same with my monster bel/barlywine/IIIPA

Also entered a mandarina baveria pale ale, good luck picking the hops in that one judges.. lol
3beers 3 entries for me...
Is that Drambuie Stout your version of the swap beer? My Raspberry Stout version is in as well. Twill be interesting to compare the results.

I wanted to put my oaked and un-oaked Scottish Ales both in as Scottish Ales. But you can only have one beer per style. So the Oaked has gone in the specialty category

Hopefully you people entering into the spec cat have put both beer style (as per BJCP/AABC) and specialty ingredient?

Makes it very difficult to judge entries in that category properly when all you get is 'raspberry beer'.

Yob said:
On behalf of the organising committee......"We do not approve!!"

Just remember who's in charge of serving temperatures, young fella!... :ph34r: B)

Yob said:
why do you think Im stewarding this year old bean :p
Who do you think allocates jobs & can distract/detract someone from their own agenda? ;)

manticle said:
Hopefully you people entering into the spec cat have put both beer style (as per BJCP/AABC) and specialty ingredient?

Makes it very difficult to judge entries in that category properly when all you get is 'raspberry beer'.
I did, I put in a boh pil and said the specialty was a lovely pop corn flavor, I called it a Brewers Pilsener :ph34r:

Really looking forward to this, do we know what's being judged on the Saturday? Not that it matters really.. Comps are a great way to get happy (and fed) for your time

Would encourage anyone not familiar with comps to get involved. Always a great day

Yob said:
do we know what's being judged on the Saturday?
Usually, the big categories (ie. in entry-numbers, like Pale Ales, APA's,) are judged on the Saturday, so we can break the back of the schedule. A lot depends on what's popular this year (there was a time when Wheat beers dominated the numbers, whilst APA's are currently "flavour of the month"). If there's a category that can be knocked-off in half a day, that could also fit-in with Judge-availability. We won't know until the numbers are in this weekend.

Yob, if you have a preference/desire to Steward a particular category(ies), lemme know & I'll keep that in mind when I allocate jobs. If you reckon you can multi-task, I could use you as a static "Bar-Steward" (ie. pouring multiple categories at once), as opposed to a "Table-Steward", who generally stick to only 1 or 2 categories/panels & do all the walking.

Just got an email from Mark asking for us to try and coerce some more people to volunteer as judges or stewards,seems we're still short.Hardly the boondocks folks,it's virtually the CBD.Martin,there's an error in who's available and who's replied that they're not. Braden J is on both lists.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll chase-up Mark & get an updated list.

BTW, if anyone is thinking about getting involved, but is a little unsure about what happens, please feel free to PM me for some reassurance, or just post your questions here.

Yep, but some folks maybe a little shy asking what they think might be a "stupid" question in an open forum. Just offering options.......

If I can offer some reassurance here anyway, it's pretty simple:

Beers get served to panels of Judges in the assigned order & at the right temperature (that's for Yob's benefit... :ph34r: ).
Judging sheets get passed to the bloke that enters all the data into a database.
Empty glasses get cleared away, when they're washed & stacked for re-use.
Empty bottles are cleared away.

It's a rotating cycle.

During all this, Stewards get to sample any of the beers they want & discuss them with fellow beer-geeks. As long as you're not getting trashed to the point you can't do the job, you can drink as much as you like.

I co-ordinate everything that happens & have ultimate responsibility for any screw-ups (like serving temperatures :ph34r: ), so it's pretty easy.

Lunch is provided.

Email sent.
Sorry but I am only available for Sunday afternoon but hopefully I can be of some use.

hoping the dark beers are on the sunday :)

NealK said:
Email sent.
Sorry but I am only available for Sunday afternoon but hopefully I can be of some use.
Neal, I'm sure I can find you a job to do & you'll have a great time.

Grainer said:
hoping the dark beers are on the sunday :)
Define "dark"?!?!?!? Like I said somewhere earlier, it all depends on the numbers in categories (plus, we're doing meads/ciders again this year). Usually, the "BIG" beers are judged on the Sunday (usually arvo), since they're small categories & we don't want the judges getting trolleyed early.

If ONLY I didn't have to stay sober during this whole weekend......('sigh').. :(

Latest posts

Back