Vic Xmas In July 2008 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NRB try a wit bier, if it sours in an overnight mash it wouldn't be out of style and there best drunk about 2 or 3 weeks after bottleing IMO. getting a decent yeast might be a problem tho

mmm sour wit *puts it on the to do list for summer*

-Phill

mans needs to take his own advice. :p (sorry mate now im just stirring ;))

i do :) i was thinking that as i wrote it. but no, i'll still have to pass for this swap :) next time

-Phill

I have bottled my contribution... could only get 22 PET bottles and I didn't want to buy another box, so there is a few glass extras if anybody re-joins the swap to bring the numbers back up. Now its just a waiting game until swap day :beer:

My contribution (Kinda Porta) has been in the bottle for about six weeks now. I only ended up with one test bottle and after a couple of weeks I tested it. It was over carbonated so I have cracked the seals on all the remaining bottles twice. I dont have another test bottle so if we are still 24 swappers or less a week out from the swap I will try another one. If we are back up to 25 we will play pot luck.

It was over carbonated so I have cracked the seals on all the remaining bottles twice.
Another plus for PET bottles - easy to release pressure without the hastle of recapping!

Mine's still sitting in a keg maturing in the fridge, hoping that it'll clean up a little. That Windsor yeast sure throws some funky flavours - more than I was expecting - even for a pommy Ale!

29 sleeps to go...

My contribution (Kinda Porta) has been in the bottle for about six weeks now. I only ended up with one test bottle and after a couple of weeks I tested it. It was over carbonated so I have cracked the seals on all the remaining bottles twice. I dont have another test bottle so if we are still 24 swappers or less a week out from the swap I will try another one. If we are back up to 25 we will play pot luck.

Oh ... damn ... guess I should actually go back and read the thread again before I go and bottle only 24 in PET bottles. The rest is in that evil, hazardous, heavy, and fragile glass stuff. Mind you seeing that I am one of the 24 and have my other 250 or so beers in that evil, hazardous ... glass stuff I think I should be able to live with one more of them.

So 29 sleeps to carbonate ... lucky I have the fridge on the "heating" cycle at the moment.

The Weizenbock has turned out much better then expected, but very much weighted to the weizen side and not a lot of bock (apart for the alcohol at about 8.3% )

Another plus for PET bottles - easy to release pressure without the hastle of recapping!

there are pluses to PET bottles ??
personally ill take glass anyday of the year...

Drop off locations
North (drop off and sorting location) - Fents Watsonia
West - ? - ?
East - ? ?
Central - ? - ?

So any update on the drop-off locations? Anybody out east (either Berwick or Boronia way) who could take an extra batch across?

I have to drop off in the next two weeks as I'll be heading up to Qld for a few weeks.

Tried a sample of my contribution to the case swap tonight, and while I will say it is definitely not a session beer ( at about 8.2% ABV ), it was in the drinkable category.

A little on the harsh side perhaps, but given that it has only been bottled less than a week I'm willing to give it a chance to improve.

Should be a good winter warmed either way.

Well my half of the coffee stout contribution was tasted the other day, it's got so much coffee flavour in it. Maybe too much... so there's another one in the winter sipper category.

Well my half of the coffee stout contribution was tasted the other day, it's got so much coffee flavour in it. Maybe too much... so there's another one in the winter sipper category.

Looking forward to trying your version! We'll have to make some labels ;)

How did you extract the coffee? I made up espressos

Q

Hello Everyone,

It No. 21 superhero and the news is good. The milk stout is bottled and carbonating. Even if it doesn't carbonate
enough that's ok. Stouts are supposed to have low carbonation! It also smells great and weighs in at 8.2% alc/vol

I almost had enough PET bottles but I'm 2 short so I used 750mL glass longnecks.

From what I understand the case swap now requires 22 bottles. Is this right?
Because that's how many is in the box destined for the case swap.

This is my 1st case swap. Should I bring meat pies? Or maybe apple pies, or cherry pies ....

Cheers

M

Right not long to go now.

Need to finalise some stuff...

What time does everyone want to kick the day off? Midday? 1pm? 2pm? 10am?

Again i will throw some meat on the BBQ... If people want to bring nibbles (Pies, Sausage Rolls, Chips etc) they are more than welcome.

Can i get some show of whose attending the Swap?

Will be enough room for three keg's, plus i'll make sure there is plenty of ice and buckets to fit everyones drinks into (please try and bring different beer to your case swap).

Anyone think of anything we are missing?

*CM2 crying*
went to bottle mine last night and the crappy stool I had the fermentor on broke. beautiful black ambrosia everwhere. almost to much to bear.

*CM2 HTFU*
well I can put down a variation of my planned brew this weekend. It wont have as long as I'd like to lager it for but hey. It should be ready and bottled in time for the swap, it just wont be carbed.

Im coming Fents.
Re drop off. I would need an indication as to how many people want to drop their cases off. As Im selling my house and am putting most of my gear away in storage to "de-clutter". So if a 3 or so want to drop off I can handle that but if there were 7 I think the missus would shoot me.

Midday sounds good.

1. Peels - Kinda Porta - Attending swap
2. Fents - second effort kolsch or a Boh Pills
3. Wardhog - Harold
4. Rook - Amber Ale
6. Andreic - Irish Dry Stout
7. Hairofthedog - Saaz Pilsner
8. Chris Taylor - Weizenbock
9. Barramundi - One grain One Hop Ale
10. Haysie- Oatmeal Stout
11. Cummins - No idea yet
13- Citymorgue2 - black bavarian/Schwarzbier - Attending swap
14. 65bellett- Best Brown Ale
16. DoppelBrewer - Doppelbock
17. NRB - dunno yet
18. Mark_M - Amarillo / Motueka APA
19. Alvin Ng - No idea yet
20. mortz - Munich Dunkel
21. superhero - Milk stout
22. Quintrex/Voota - Coffee Stout
23. Moonee - Oak Butt Brown Ale
24. Leigh - Golden Ale
25. Hutch - London Best Bitter

Count me in, Fents.

I'll bring a few bottles of best bitter along with me too. Can't really think of any food to bring along, so if you'd like some $ help with the BBQ meat, I'll contribute.

What about chairs?

bad luck CM, doesn't that shit you to tears.

I'm in Fents, i'll be there just to give you the shits.... :D

Go Cats

Rook

1. Peels - Kinda Porta - Attending swap
2. Fents - second effort kolsch or a Boh Pills
3. Wardhog - Harold- Attending swap
4. Rook - Amber Ale - Attending swap
6. Andreic - Irish Dry Stout
7. Hairofthedog - Saaz Pilsner
8. Chris Taylor - Weizenbock
9. Barramundi - One grain One Hop Ale
10. Haysie- Oatmeal Stout
11. Cummins - No idea yet
13- Citymorgue2 - black bavarian/Schwarzbier - Attending swap
14. 65bellett- Best Brown Ale
16. DoppelBrewer - Doppelbock
17. NRB - dunno yet
18. Mark_M - Amarillo / Motueka APA
19. Alvin Ng - No idea yet
20. mortz - Munich Dunkel
21. superhero - Milk stout
22. Quintrex/Voota - Coffee Stout
23. Moonee - Oak Butt Brown Ale
24. Leigh - Golden Ale- Not Attending swap :(
25. Hutch - London Best Bitter

CM, If I could drop off to your place, that would be great (I'll leave a couple of extra bottles if you like :D )

:icon_cheers: yer fendy i recon u should kick off @ 10.00 il bring a couple of kgs of porterhouse & some homemade snags for the barby il also bring a couple of 5 lt stubbies of german pilsner now counting down the days mate :icon_drool2:

Back