Vic Xmas Case Swap 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Xmas swap was always the big event with july one the smaller event. Seems to have swapped around.

And 4 months between June and nov should be plenty of time to brew. ESP if u brew both batches early on. Alternatively just plan on brewing for one of them.

Anyways as non swapping short drop in attendee I'll get back in my box.

Howdy all,

Bad bad news, i tried one (and then a second one) of my batch for this swap and :icon_vomit: no good at all. not sure whats happened, as it was tasting good in the fermenter. Anyway, apologies for the late notice, but I going to have to pull out of this one.

Sorry guys!

SJ

Howdy all,
Bad bad news, i tried one (and then a second one) of my batch for this swap and :icon_vomit: no good at all. not sure whats happened, as it was tasting good in the fermenter. Anyway, apologies for the late notice, but I going to have to pull out of this one.
Sorry guys!
SJ

When i was 17! I drank some very good beer! :D

If we get down to 16 I can swap my amber lager instead of my pale... The pale which will be sampled tonight and may reduce the count to 16 if my fears are confirmed...

The amber lager is good, although SHOCKING chill haze. Even after a few weeks of lagering.

If we get down to 16 I can swap my amber lager instead of my pale... The pale which will be sampled tonight and may reduce the count to 16 if my fears are confirmed...

The amber lager is good, although SHOCKING chill haze. Even after a few weeks of lagering.

I'm happy to go home 1 bottle short if it means stopping more people pulling outs Zebba; put your best beer forward :icon_cheers:

Disappointing that we've got such a large percentage of swappers dropping out, but regardless I'm really looking forward to Saturday.

I'm happy to go home 1 bottle short if it means stopping more people pulling outs Zebba; put your best beer forward :icon_cheers:

Disappointing that we've got such a large percentage of swappers dropping out, but regardless I'm really looking forward to Saturday.
well, the other option is that 16 people get an amber lager and 1 person gets something else. Unfortunately that "something else" would have to be 2 stubbies as the only other stuff I have in longnecks isn't swap worthy (see anecdote below)....

This is all pending the tasting tonight though of course. A number of people think I'm being paranoid and smelling the trub and getting all worried is a bad move.

Anecdote: I had some mates over for the grand final and I shouted the beer. A particularly cultured mate asked if I had "anything like pure blonde?". I gave him a bottle of something I had, and he thought it was mothers milk. Nuff said I reckon. But for those who can't read between the lines, it's basically coloured water. If anyone wants some coloured water, I'm happy to bring some along for them on Saturday as i need the space...

I'm sure it'll be sweet mate. Reckon I might crack a bottle of mine tonight and see how they're carbing up (they've been in the fermenting fridge at 21 degrees for the past week and a bit).

Mine's tasting good. Determined not to pull out no matter what. Even if it means putting a do not drink for 2 weeks sticker on it. (still, carbing in the Keg this week)

well, the other option is that 16 people get an amber lager and 1 person gets something else. Unfortunately that "something else" would have to be 2 stubbies as the only other stuff I have in longnecks isn't swap worthy (see anecdote below)....

Don't forget the 17 people is you + 16, so you can have the 2 stubbies :)

My only concern is the keg of APA I'm bringing tastes better than the 2 kegs APA in my freezer.

Mine's tasting good. Determined not to pull out no matter what. Even if it means putting a do not drink for 2 weeks sticker on it. (still, carbing in the Keg this week)

one way to help carb quicker is to hook it up to gas via the beer in post rather than the gas - bubbles the CO2 through the beer quicker and helps absorbtion.

one way to help carb quicker is to hook it up to gas via the beer in post rather than the gas - bubbles the CO2 through the beer quicker and helps absorbtion.

As someone who has done this and caused isses :)

Beaware that if you don't have a 1 way valves on each gas line your "system" can equalise pressure by transferring the beer between kegs or in my case line cleaner (long story) :(

As someone who has done this and caused isses :)

Beaware that if you don't have a 1 way valves on each gas line your "system" can equalise pressure by transferring the beer between kegs or in my case line cleaner (long story) :(

excellent point mate... I took it for granted that I run NR Valves on all gas lines, which mitigates the issue - top pickup mate!!

Only running the one Keg atm. Have a non-return valve on the main gas line to protect the reg. But yeah, I usually split the gas line using a JG splitter. So I would have to be aware of that.

Bottled the case tonight and keg the last beer ... now just have to deck the halls ( oh and maybe a spot of cleaning wouldn't go astray ).

See you all Saturday

This is good in theory, but requires someone to actually do some organisation :) ... which I do not have time for.

Just bring something you would eat and enough to share around a bit. That way at least one person is going to eat it :p

I would eat dips, crackers/biscuits and cheese all day. Not too hard to organise. I have a largish plate I can chuck it all on and I can pick up the stuff on the way.

Are we gonna get some more of fourstars famous potato salad? I hear the natives are still raving about it!

I just kegged my swap and had a flat sample... It's pretty good. Definitely a step up from the last batch. Brendo, I hooked the gas up to the beer out post and heard a nice bubbling sound as the CO2 rose through the brew. If it works as well as you say it does (no doubt) I'll have to do this every time. I'll be in touch re picking up the CPBF. I'll probably pick up one night this week.

Gonna be a good swap me thinks. Remember guys: Quality over quantity. Beer, food and people. Can't freaking wait! :super:

K, no concerns with numbers. Sample last night tasted fine. Smelled even better.

I can see one big thing missing from this swap - no big brew-day batch!

How can we have a swap day without 20 drunk brewers expressing 40 different opinions on the best way to stir the mash?

I can see one big thing missing from this swap - no big brew-day batch!

How can we have a swap day without 20 drunk brewers expressing 40 different opinions on the best way to stir the mash?

Lol... good point. Chris, you want to brew on Saturday? Happy to supply equipment or ingredients if needed (should have my new BB hopscreen and pickup by then).

after procrastinating lastnight and cleaning up cat vomit, ive left bottling my contribution until tonight.

Yikes, it looks like i'll have 1/2 a keg to myself the way the swap is going! Oh well, i wont complain about drinking 10L of kentucky common! :chug:

after procrastinating lastnight and cleaning up cat vomit, ive left bottling my contribution until tonight.

Yikes, it looks like i'll have 1/2 a keg to myself the way the swap is going! Oh well, i wont complain about drinking 10L of kentucky common! :chug:

Yell out if you need a hand mate :beer:

Too much beer... such a great problem to have.

Back