Vic Xmas Case Swap 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after procrastinating lastnight and cleaning up cat vomit, ive left bottling my contribution until tonight.

Yikes, it looks like i'll have 1/2 a keg to myself the way the swap is going! Oh well, i wont complain about drinking 10L of kentucky common! :chug:

Yummo!!

Just cracked one of my bottles and they've got a way to go carbing up yet :(

Pretty happy with the quality of the brew, just need bubbles...

Just cracked one of my bottles and they've got a way to go carbing up yet :(

Pretty happy with the quality of the brew, just need bubbles...

speaking of, i have squeezed all O2 out of my PET bottles, once they have swollen and are firm. Drink away! :D might need a little rousing in a weeks time to make sure the yeast is firing on all cylinders. the yeast glued onto the glad wrap lid was like a beautiful home made vegemite! :lol:

Thankfully the trub was still milky and tasted fresh (and downright bitter).

Tasting great going into the bottle. Hope you fellas enjoy this one as im sure its the first of the style you've tried.

Cheers!

But all that aside, 5-10-20 people, does it really come down to how many turn up on the day!

No, I just thoght it courteous, never mind.
Why dont you respond to the thread from time to time? Vic case swaps are on their knees IMO. Hello...........

So, are we down to 17 or 18?

I thought Sappas pulled out earlier this week, as per this post, but his name's still in the list.

Will bring 18 along, just in case. If there's an extra, it's is host's prerogative.

So, are we down to 17 or 18?

I thought Sappas pulled out earlier this week, as per this post, but his name's still in the list.

Will bring 18 along, just in case. If there's an extra, it's is host's prerogative.
Maybe you should bring 2 extra - hosts perogative and drivers perogative? :p

Reckon I'm more excited about case swap than a kid at christmas... 1 sleep to go :beerbang:

Got one of my brews in the fridge for tasting tonight, so fingers crossed its all okay and carbed up.

What does everyone put on the bottle labels? I don't have fancy labels, so will pick up some plain ones from officeworks or somewhere tonight and just write my name and the beer type; is that enough?

You can go all out if you wish, most important is that the number is on the lid.

If you're bottling in glass, just write your number on the cap in texta, if using PET's buy a pack of the small (~20c sized) round labels from the newsagent, stick one of those on top, and write the number on it.

When you see all 289 bottle all lined up in their rows, you'll understand why having the tops marked clearly is important. Mmmmm, 216 litres of beer :)

Edit: Oh yeah, don't buy Avery sticky labels for the bottles, they're a bitch to get off. If you're going to print labels, just use paper and glue them on with UHU stick or clag glue.

You can go all out if you wish, most important is that the number is on the lid.

If you're bottling in glass, just write your number on the cap in texta, if using PET's buy a pack of the small (~20c sized) round labels from the newsagent, stick one of those on top, and write the number on it.

When you see all 289 bottle all lined up in their rows, you'll understand why having the tops marked clearly is important. Mmmmm, 216 litres of beer :)

Sweet... that's what I normally do (except the number on the lid is normally the brew number).

I'm also rather excited, although I'll only be popping in for a little while.

It would be good if peeps could update the article with their "drink after' dates (if any) and serving temp suggestions (if any)

Quick question for all you CPBF'ers: Does conditioning in the bottle make much difference? Do the bottles lose carbonation after a while?

Quick question for all you CPBF'ers: Does conditioning in the bottle make much difference? Do the bottles lose carbonation after a while?

I don't own or use a CPBF (so weight my opinion accordingly), but I would think that conditioning after filling your bottles would be largely ineffective due to the small number of yeast cells and consumable sugars present?

Would make sense. I was thinking more of the character of the beer. There is a phenolic, apparently, in the scottish ale that develops with age as well to give that smokey character. It is slightly coming through at the moment. Its just that I only kegged it on Monday. I don't know if it would benefit it by leaving it in the bottle for a week or so. I would have prefered to have left it in the keg longer, but just not possible. Should have gotten onto it earlier.

It happens mate; the reality is that most people would be waiting for a week before getting stuck in them anyway (I'm tempted to give all non-wheat bottles a couple of weeks before opening to give them the best chance to be right).

Would make sense. I was thinking more of the character of the beer. There is a phenolic, apparently, in the scottish ale that develops with age as well to give that smokey character. It is slightly coming through at the moment. Its just that I only kegged it on Monday. I don't know if it would benefit it by leaving it in the bottle for a week or so. I would have prefered to have left it in the keg longer, but just not possible. Should have gotten onto it earlier.
I don't quite understand the appeal of keg->cpbf->bottle sequence for case swaps?

As I see it, bottling directly involves:
1. Primary
2. Direct bottling via bottling wand (possible infection vector)
3. Cap

Kegging for later bottling involves:
1. Primary
2. Rack to keg (possible infection vector)
3. Force carbonate
4. Bottle using CPBF (possible infection vector)
5. Cap

The main advantage I see in this approach is the ability to provide a yeast-free bottle, and optionally filter on the way to the keg. This is counter pointed by no longer having "live" beer in the bottle, so the shelf life of the supplied bottle is less. For normal drinking, I can definitely see the appeal of kegging, and will be getting on that bandwagon soon enough.

So, keg->cpbf'ers, what's your take on this?

The main advantage I can see is cutting down on carbonation times. Sort of outweighed by the fact that it takes a little longer and is more fiddley

Back