Vic. July 2015 Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn said:
I've only got the RIS left, is it ready yet? Is it? I'll think I'll store mine till May/June 2016.
Me too. Gunna save it for next winter

The RIS is OK to drink now but could still do with more time. So i'll leave it up to you. I will bring a few bottles to the Xmas swap.

Black n Tan said:
The RIS is OK to drink now but could still do with more time. So i'll leave it up to you. I will bring a few bottles to the Xmas swap.
I've got about 6Lt of the barrel aged to bring as well... Shits getting real.

22. Damn - American Brown
Aroma - Slight alcohol on the nose, tipping this is a strong brew? Some good hop aroma beneath it and a little roast/caramel
Appearance - Dark amber brown with tight head, diminishes
Flavour - Some residual sweetness, but finishes dry with some hop flavour coming through, not detecting as much malt on the palate as on the nose.
Mouthfeel - Full bodied with good carbonation.
Overall impression - Smell/tastes like a massive beer, but quite easy drinking. Well done mate, a good drop indeed! Update: 10 minutes later...okay I am near on pissed, this has some kick...time for another one.

13. Whiteferret - Oaty Stout
Aroma - Rich dark chocolate and some cherry
Appearance - Deep brown with dark creamy medium brown head, persists
Flavour - Beautiful residual sweetness balanced with smooth bitterness. Chocolate, coffee, cream, caramel, toasty malt.
Mouthfeel - Full bodied with fantastic carbonation.
Overall impression - This has to be one of my favourites thus far. This is a knockout. Wayne, I am continually amazed by your dark beers and this one has taken the blue ribbon.

12. MartinOC - Sassenach Scotch Ale
Aroma - Subtle malt caramel
Appearance - Deep Amber, clear, medium high carbonation with persistant head medium bubbles
Flavour - Malt caramel transfer well to flavour and is subtle and smooth. Finish is sweet, lingers
Mouthfeel - Medium low body with medium carbonation
Overall - A very nice beer. Not the style I gravitate towards, but a good example of it. Well done Martin!

Thanks, Idzy. I don't have any of that batch left, but it sounds like it's what I was aiming-for (it was a test-batch for the Bummock brew).

Also let you into a little secret - I used a dry English Ale yeast :ph34r: (hence "Sassenach"). First time I've used a dry yeast in over 20 years!

idzy said:
17. AJ80 - Blonde with Fake Brett
Aroma - Some distinguishable funk going on, combined with peach/pear fruitiness. Appearance - Brilliantly clear straw/golden colour. Flavour - What seems to be tartness in the aroma doesn't transfer through to flavour. Good balance between dry/sweet and finishes slightly dry. Mouthfeel - Very light body and mouth feel. Overall impression - Haven't had many like this - a surprising and enjoyable drop :)
Well said Idzy. I was very happy to locate this one at the back of my bottle storage area. ☺

Love the funky tartness at the start, love how as it progresses it seems to transform, a beautiful smooth flavour with refreshing fruit character. Perfect warm weather drink. Thanks mate.

Az, was this fermented with the brett that was reclassified as a sacc?

JB said:
Well said Idzy. I was very happy to locate this one at the back of my bottle storage area. ☺

Love the funky tartness at the start, love how as it progresses it seems to transform, a beautiful smooth flavour with refreshing fruit character. Perfect warm weather drink. Thanks mate.

Az, was this fermented with the brett that was reclassified as a sacc?
Indeed it was mate. Thanks for the feedback, chuffed you enjoyed it.

11. Midnight Brew - The Explorer (Dark Ale III) American Brown - DRINK NOW or age for 3-6 months malty complexity

Rich, dark and oh so tasty. I may have left this one too long, as there is only a hint on the nose of the fruity aroma hops. Off white head with epic head retention and brilliant clarity. A lovely deep scarlet when held up to the light. Very easy to drink and perfectly balanced bitterness with the residule sweetness. Ripper of a beer mate, very enjoyable.

Was doing a clean out downstairs & found a motherlovin' crate of beer! Yep, i said a motherlovin' crate of beer! A couple of darker swap beers amongst them i put away for a rainy day - and guess what?!!!?

Anyway, first one i grabbed & ... holy hell Wayne, your #13 Oaty Stout is freakin magic!

Idzy's review attached below is spot on but I'll add I'm getting some deeeep cherry ripe aroma & i have to say an absolutely glorious oak character flavour!

Bravo fine sir, thank you & bravo.

Idzy's review:
Aroma - Rich dark chocolate and some cherry
Appearance - Deep brown with dark creamy medium brown head, persists
Flavour - Beautiful residual sweetness balanced with smooth bitterness. Chocolate, coffee, cream, caramel, toasty malt.
Mouthfeel - Full bodied with fantastic carbonation.

16. Black n Tan. RIS. This was bottled March but needs plenty more time to mellow. If you wait until December or later that would be best. Best indeed.....Just drank last night. This is the nectar of the Beer Gods. I shared this with a mate and I'm sorry I did. Velvety smooth, no heat. This is my 1st RIS (apart from tiny samples). This is the master class of beers. Thank you! Well worth the wait.

Glad you liked it. I only have a handful of bottles left and feel it is still improving. So lesson for next time is more bottles and more patience.

I've still got mine too! Went digging the other day and I've got a few RIS's about in the assorted crates

I've got mine too [emoji106]. I'm saving it for my birthday next month. Yum

Curly79 said:
I've got mine too [emoji106]. I'm saving it for my birthday next month. Yum
I'm there with knobs-on for the bottle-opening party (& something to do with a Birthday.... :ph34r: ) since I missed-out on a bottle during the swap.

Latest posts

Back