Vic Brewers Xmas Case Swap - Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mashing @ 63c wardy! she'll be a crisp one thats fo' sure!

Heres the recipe and i was a little worried it was not up to scratch for the swap
but it has matured extremely well over the last month
Enjoying one of the excess bottles right now. :D

Style: 8B Best Bitter

Description:

Best Bitter for the AHB Xmas case swap - 2008

Protein Rest 55C (30min)
Infusion Mash at 68C (1hr) drop over hour to 64C
Fermented at ~ 18C

Volume [ltr]: 30.00 Efficiency: 75.00% ABV: 5.4%

OG: 1.060 FG: 1.016
IBU: 33.9 SRM: 8.1

Fermentables
6kg Marris Otter (Bairds)
600g Caramalt
600g Wheat
550g Biscuit (home roasted)
260g Crystal 40L
20g Black patent (color darkening)

Hops

FWH
Fuggles, 5.4%AA, 14g
Goldings, 5.9%AA, 14g

60min boil
Fuggles, 5.4%AA, 14g
Goldings, 5.9%AA, 28g

15min boil
Fuggles, 5.4%AA, 10g
Goldings, 5.9%AA, 10g

Yeast
London ESB

Citrus HalfWit

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
5.00 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
85.00 gm Saphire [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 22.8 IBU
0.48 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.00 items Cumquats (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
7.00 gm Curico Orange Peel Dried (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
7.00 gm Mandarine Zest Fresh (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
7.00 gm Naval Orange Zest Fresh (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
30.00 gm Coriander seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs WB-06
Mashed @ 64

with all the citrus & ceareal im calling it the official breaky beer of the swap just hope fents or beerdingo are driving :icon_vomit:

thats a great looking reciepe hairofthedog. cant wait for it.

although id love to know how your measuring 7g of zest. i love to see that :lol:

thats a great looking reciepe hairofthedog. cant wait for it.

although id love to know how your measuring 7g of zest. i love to see that :lol:

Zest is the outer, colorful skin of citrus fruit, known botanically as the exocarp. It is often used to add strong flavor to foods, such as lemon meringue pie, sorbets and salads.

Zest has become a synonym for spice, strong flavor or interesting taste.

To remove the zest from a fruit for culinary use, a zester, vegetable peeler, paring knife, or even a wood rasp is used to scrape the colored part of the peel off. The white membrane under the zest (pith, albedo or mesocarp) is unpleasantly bitter and generally avoided by limiting the peeling depth. The white membrane can be used for cooking, when the entire thickness of the peel is candied, then it is called succade.

measured using digital scales

mate i know what zest is, I was just doubtful that you'd be bothered measuring out 7g of the stuff. it just a funny image of someone standing over ascal and measuring out such a tiny quantity. I'd be too lazy and just zest up a whole fruit or 2 (I have a microplan thats awsome for zesting). as i said, cant wait to tastse.

I am still looking for the recipe that I brewed and will post hopefully tonight.

#1 will be ready to drink after about the 5th December

This one is not part of the case swap, but was request from Rook on the night.

Its based on the Mild recipe for #7, but stepped up a bit and dried out to make it a Northern English Brown Ale.

Big brown
Style: 11C. Northern English Brown

Description:
New brown based on mild brown ale.

Volume [ltr]: 33.00 Efficiency: 70.00% ABV: 4.91%
OG[points]: 51.008 FG[points]: 14.383 RTE: 20.98 Attenuation: 71.80%
IBU: 22.00 SRM: 20.11 BU:GU ratio: 0.431 Balance: 0.839

Fermentables
Type Gravity [points] Gravity(%) Weight [gms] Weight(%)
Brown Malt 0.572 1.12% 100.00 1.31%
Chocolate Malt 2.425 4.75% 423.61 5.56%
Flaked Barley 2.425 4.75% 423.61 5.56%
Golden Syrup 3.286 6.44% 286.96 3.77%
Light Crystal 3.464 6.79% 564.81 7.41%
Maris Otter 37.000 72.54% 5517.15 72.41%
Medium Crystal 1.835 3.60% 303.27 3.98%

Hops
Type AA(%) IBU IBU(%) Weight [gms] Time(minutes)
Fuggles 4.40% 22.00 100.00% 72.18 60.00

Yeast
Type Flocculation Attenuation Min Temp[C (F)] Max Temp[C (F)] Alcohol Tollerance
Ringwood Ale - Wyeast 1187 high 70.00% 18.00 (64.40) 23.00 (73.40) 10% ABV

Think I will drop the brown malt next time as it does not really add much. Will also tone down the hop addition slightly next time.

The most important ingredient is the Ringwood Ale yeast.

Also should be drunk young as the Ringwood Ale effect seems to fades fast and eventually degrades into something that has been described as candles or perfume.

I'll be brewing this tomorrow for the case swap.
Using an US dry yeast for this.

SNPA Clone
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 8/10/2008
Batch Size: 24.61 L

Boil Size: 32.45 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 70 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients
5.22 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 92.01 %
0.45 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118.2 EBC) Grain 7.99 %
19.00 gm Horizon [11.00 %] (70 min) Hops 21.6 IBU
19.00 gm Pearle [6.00 %] (30 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
40.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
56.70 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.39 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 38.4 IBU
Est Color: 18.4 EBC

oops.....this was going to be a SNPA clone but after stuffing up the 56gm of Cascade for flameout and adding them at the 30min instead of the Pearle it looks like it will be a standard APA.

Damn..was looking forward to trying this. Suppose there is always next week.

I'll post the final recipe change up later.

cheers
johnno

And here is the ammended receipe. Bottled on the 8 Nov. Drinking well now but a bit undercarbed. Should be perfect in a couple of weeks time.

cheers
johnno

5.22 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 92.01 %
0.45 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118.2 EBC) Grain 7.99 %
19.00 gm Horizon [11.00 %] (70 min) Hops 21.6 IBU
56.70 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 24.0 IBU
19.00 gm Pearle [6.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
40.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.39 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.86 %
Bitterness: 49.7 IBU Calories: 459 cal/l
Est Color: 18.4 EBC Color: Color

Pale Ale

Morgans Stockmans Draught
Morgans Extra Pale LME
250g LDME

Boiled 30 min

12g Chinook (15 min)
5 g Cluster (15 min)
15g Cascade (@ Rack)

US05

Haha, HairOfDog, where are the references for the stolen material on zest you tried to pass off. lol

OK. The brew I submitted was my 2nd All Grain brew. I was going for an Australian Pale Ale. Not sure what that's supposed to be though. I just assumed it was Aussie grain with Aussie hops (think galaxy is Aussie), so let's just say that I was making a "Pale Ale that I liked" (hopefully).

So, the ingredients were:

7.5 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White)
0.5 kg Carared (Weyermann)
0.5 kg Munich, Light (Joe White)
25gram Millenium (60 min(start of boil))
20gram Millenium (15 min)
20gram Millenium (0 min)
1.5 Irish Moss Tablets (10 min)
1 soup spoon honey (actually from memory, I think I ran out, and there was less in this, not sure)
Safale yeast US05

I mash with a 75 Litre Techni Ice esky, with a copper tubing in the bottom for filtering.
Mash in 22L at 72C
-Hold Mash at 66 for 90 min (it was probably a little higher to start with, as I was still working it all out, 68'ish)
Mash out 15L at 95C for 2 min
Sparge with 18L at 75C for 10 min

Put in fermenter, and wait, then take OG. I didn't wait long enough! I shrivelled and melted my Hydrometer container, so I'm not sure what the OG was on this brew.

Wait 1 day for wort to cool, then add yeast.

I think I fermented around 18-22 depending on the days, but it seemed to stay around 19. I think I racked after 10 days. Then bottled 3-4 days later. From memory it was 1008-1010 final gravity. Not sure. So since no OG, I dont know how strong it was. But seems around 4.5->5.5%.

Hope you all find it nice. It was my second all grain brew, with all new(well, home-made) equipement. Hope I can find out what this "Diacetyl" thing is, and try and make some without it, to see the difference. But from what I see when I google it, it is described as a "buttery" or "butterscotch" flavour, which sounds good to me. It also seems to be the ingredient that they put into margarine to make it taste like butter. Please correct me if I'm wrong there. But, is it something I do? Something I add? Or some sort of infection(as some don't seem to like it)? However, I liked it. I usually drink them pretty quick as they don't last long here unfortunately. I see online that some people do a Diacetyl rest, so maybe I need to try that. Anyway, I hope others enjoy it. It's just trying to be a nice after work quaffable pale ale.

Hope that was readable, as I've had a couple of swaps now!

Hi guys,
My standard recipe for this one is (46l batch)
9kg Marrris otter
.8kg JW wheat
Nelson Sauvin pellets approx 12% aa
40gm fwh
30gm 20 min
40gm 5 min
50 gm -5 min, steep 10
straight to fermenter cool overnight
us05 approx 20 degrees 10-14 days

due to grain constraints, brewed this one
2.67 Marris otter
5.33 BB pils
1 Weyerman Light Munich
JW wheat

same hop schedule , US05

Standard bill is a variation on Ross' NS summer ale, would recommend it over this variation.
Drinks well fresh, due to excessive holidays this year, this batch sat in c/c for nearly 90 days & has lost a bit of character.

Cheers

Mark

Hi All,

Here's the recipe for #10 Belgian Witbier

Ingredients:
3 kg Pale Malt
7 kg Wheat Malt
4 kg Raw Wheat
2 kg Rice Hulls
60g Pride of Ringwood hops pellets full boil
60g Coriander seeds (crushed) 20 min from the end
Peel of 3 oranges (bruised) 20 min from the end
16 Cardamon pods (crushed) 20 min from the end
40g Goldings hop pellets 20 min from the end
28g Fuggles hop pellets at the end
1 teaspoon Irish Moss
Wyeast #3944 Belgian Wit yeast.

Batch size: 50L
Mashed at about 65 degrees

Haha, HairOfDog, where are the references for the stolen material on zest you tried to pass off. lol

OK. The brew I submitted was my 2nd All Grain brew. I was going for an Australian Pale Ale. Not sure what that's supposed to be though. I just assumed it was Aussie grain with Aussie hops (think galaxy is Aussie), so let's just say that I was making a "Pale Ale that I liked" (hopefully).

So, the ingredients were:

7.5 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White)
0.5 kg Carared (Weyermann)
0.5 kg Munich, Light (Joe White)
25gram Millenium (60 min(start of boil))
20gram Millenium (15 min)
20gram Millenium (0 min)
1.5 Irish Moss Tablets (10 min)
1 soup spoon honey (actually from memory, I think I ran out, and there was less in this, not sure)
Safale yeast US05

I mash with a 75 Litre Techni Ice esky, with a copper tubing in the bottom for filtering.
Mash in 22L at 72C
-Hold Mash at 66 for 90 min (it was probably a little higher to start with, as I was still working it all out, 68'ish)
Mash out 15L at 95C for 2 min
Sparge with 18L at 75C for 10 min

Put in fermenter, and wait, then take OG. I didn't wait long enough! I shrivelled and melted my Hydrometer container, so I'm not sure what the OG was on this brew.
Wait 1 day for wort to cool, then add yeast.

II think I fermented around 18-22 depending on the days, but it seemed to stay around 19. think I racked after 10 days. Then bottled 3-4 days later. From memory it was 1008-1010 final gravity. Not sure. So since no OG, I dont know how strong it was. But seems around 4.5->5.5%.
Hope you all find it nice. It was my second all grain brew, with all new(well, home-made) equipement. Hope I can find out what this "Diacetyl" thing is, and try and make some without it, to see the difference. But from what I see when I google it, it is described as a "buttery" or "butterscotch" flavour, which sounds good to me. It also seems to be the ingredient that they put into margarine to make it taste like butter. Please correct me if I'm wrong there. But, is it something I do? Something I add? Or some sort of infection(as some don't seem to like it)? However, I liked it. I usually drink them pretty quick as they don't last long here unfortunately. I see online that some people do a Diacetyl rest, so maybe I need to try that. Anyway, I hope others enjoy it. It's just trying to be a nice after work quaffable pale ale.

Hope that was readable, as I've had a couple of swaps now!

For your "second" brew you have done well, butterscotch, popcorn (diacetyl) is probably more common in a lager than an ale. No not something you add. No not an infection, can be the by-product of though. I have had it many times, #1 I stopped pitching willy nilly and pitched at fermentation temp #2 Kept the primary happening longer 21 days+. Just these simple things along with healthy yeast, avoiding long lag times has helped me avoid this unwanted taste.
BTW, i LOVED THE BREWING COMMENTARY, the hi-lites had me rolling :lol:

For your "second" brew you have done well, butterscotch, popcorn (diacetyl) is probably more common in a lager than an ale. No not something you add. No not an infection, can be the by-product of though. I have had it many times, #1 I stopped pitching willy nilly and pitched at fermentation temp #2 Kept the primary happening longer 21 days+. Just these simple things along with healthy yeast, avoiding long lag times has helped me avoid this unwanted taste.
BTW, i LOVED THE BREWING COMMENTARY, the hi-lites had me rolling :lol:

Cheers mate! I just did another pale, and left it in the primary a few more days, and then left it in the secondary for probably 5 more days than usual. It definitely chilled it out a bit (almost liked it better from first half that I didn't rack), it's a little more bitter now, not as strong in hop flavors. Glad that you liked my commentary, I was guessing a little from memory, lol! Wish they sold plastic hydrometer containers by themselves! Don't like the idea of breaking hydrometer's by dropping them into glass container.

Hi All,

Here's the recipe for #10 Belgian Witbier

Ingredients:
3 kg Pale Malt
7 kg Wheat Malt
4 kg Raw Wheat
2 kg Rice Hulls
60g Pride of Ringwood hops pellets full boil
60g Coriander seeds (crushed) 20 min from the end
Peel of 3 oranges (bruised) 20 min from the end
16 Cardamon pods (crushed) 20 min from the end
40g Goldings hop pellets 20 min from the end
28g Fuggles hop pellets at the end
1 teaspoon Irish Moss
Wyeast #3944 Belgian Wit yeast.

Batch size: 50L
Mashed at about 65 degrees

I agree that my Belgian Wit is too "orangy". I think it could be a much better beer
if it was less "orangy" and had less orange pith bitterness. After putting on my
thinking cap I recommend adding the zest of 2 oranges instead of the peel of
3 oranges as stated above. This should arrest both problems. As well the yeast
exacerbates the orangy problem with its tart finish. I'll make a better
beer next time, I promise :)

Back