2014 Xmas in July - Vic Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be awesome if the readings are alright. I have found refrac and hydro can be 0.002 off each other so it may have pulled up at 1.010 which would make more sense.

But yeah, malty/choc aroma was magnificent, plenty of body, reckon it will fare nicely with some bottle ageing under the house!

Hahaha - only when you have three single infusion mega vessels just lying around :lol:

Gentlemen of the swap.....

If you aren't paying attention to the Vicbrew results - we did well.

My version of the stout placed a respectable fifth place in the specialties with a score of 121.5.

Whilst I can take credit for yeast choice (Wy1728 Scottish Ale) fermentation and the raspberries in the secondary (as inspired by AJ80) the brew crew of the swap day Yob, Idzy and anyone else that got involved in the brew get some credit for wort production.

Great team effort....

well well .. what a great result 5th you say !

As my fading memory of that great brew day ...hmmm that could be due to Yobs epic ale with kilos of hops ..unforgettable really

Anyhow I digress ... with my 20litre cube in the cave waiting anxiously to be fermented
I added my vile of irish yeast .....and waited with anticipation

well the result is magnificent ...coffee /roast aromas with great body and a creamy mouth feel
minimum carbonation almost exact id say ...

this my friends is a triumph ... I will be sad when this keg is empty !

thanks again to all involved ...in sorting recipes / grain /cooking vessels/ and for just being there
a great collaboration .. you and or we should be proud of great DROP

cheers mick

Been drinking these progressively. Anyone else have dead flat no head beers but still evidence of carbonation coming out of solution? The taste backbone is definitely there but there is a silky almost oily surface on everyone I have tried thus far. Did we use a lot of anti-foam in this batch, if so could that be something to do with it?

Like dead flat.....

Body is thinner than the flavours make out also... wouldnt mind comparing to someones who still has some... :)

1436536704402.jpg

Could it have an effect and be the oily layer on the top? There's clearly carbonation in there, just zero head. Glasses are all clean yada yada

I didn't see that with mine, plenty of head. The anti foam drops out during ferment, the yeast take it up, it's why the yeast shouldn't be harvested when using the stuff.

Latest posts

Back