2014 Xmas in July - Vic Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did mine on 2 kg as well.

I used the harvested Scottish ale yeast from my swap beer (wyeast 1728).

So i guess that makes mine a Raspberry Scottish Stout

Added a 1.5kg tin of Blackrock Amber Malt LME to mine to crank it to 1.072, then threw in a 1L starter of MJ British Ale onto it on Sunday at 0:30. (i.e., Saturday night, only to discover my fermenter fridge is dead, gods dammit!!). Hit 25°C in the morning, so into the bath of cold water it went, down to 19°C within an hour, at which it has remained. Aussie Imperial Stout, here we come!
Downside - looking for a new fridge after only 7 months.
Upside - Bathroom smells great!

Gave mine a try Sunday evening for the first time and it's pretty darn good. Would like to take credit for it, but apart from fermentation all I did was gawk at Idzy's massive kettle on the day...

Good luck with the raspberries guys, you won't regret it!

WLP004 growing away for the stout, excited!!!

Growing an extra 100 billion cells as per carniebrews awesome tip on another thread to grow extra for the next batch rather than harvest trub!

1410180032915.jpg

Gentleman...we are now entered in VicBrew

I entered my version.

Felt a bit funny putting it in under my name but the entry form only allowed a single brewers name. But what the heck - it will be interesting to see what feedback it gets.

I figure I can take credit for the yeast choice, fermentation and raspberries to the secondary.

Not sure how others went with the strawberries but it seems they really strip the body out of it.

On the suggestion of two guys (both whom are judges and are also involved in organising Vicbrew) at Melbourne Brewers last meeting I have entered it as a dry stout.

Good Luck to us all....

I also racked this onto 2k of raspberries & kegged 9L of it on Sunday (bottled the rest)

Have to agree with Grumpy, seems to have stripped most of the body. Tastes quite tart, but I really like the huge hit of raspberry

GrumpyPaul said:
Gentleman...we are now entered in VicBrew

I entered my version.

Felt a bit funny putting it in under my name but the entry form only allowed a single brewers name. But what the heck - it will be interesting to see what feedback it gets.

I figure I can take credit for the yeast choice, fermentation and raspberries to the secondary.

Not sure how others went with the strawberries but it seems they really strip the body out of it.

On the suggestion of two guys (both whom are judges and are also involved in organising Vicbrew) at Melbourne Brewers last meeting I have entered it as a dry stout.

Good Luck to us all....
if you ******* beat me in this one I may go mental :lol:

Ive entered mine as well so will be good to see how they stack up, though to be fair, mine is much more subtle than yours and I can see yours doing better in specialty..

but.. **** you anyway.. Im taking half the codos

Yob said:
if you ******* beat me in this one I may go mental :lol:

Ive entered mine as well so will be good to see how they stack up, though to be fair, mine is much more subtle than yours and I can see yours doing better in specialty..

but.. **** you anyway.. Im taking half the codos
I didn't put it in as a speciality....I put it in as a dry stout.

Now you have me second guessing myself.....do you think I made a mistake?

I put my Oaked Scottish ale in the Speciality as a wood aged one and I thought you cant have two beers in the same style.

probably crash as a dry stout according to style guide

Flavor: Moderate roasted, grainy sharpness, optionally with light to moderate acidic sourness, and medium to high hop bitterness. Dry, coffee-like finish from roasted grains. May have a bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate character in the palate, lasting into the finish. Balancing factors may include some creaminess, medium-low to no fruitiness, and medium to no hop flavor. No diacetyl.

Yob said:
Sweet, probably crash as a dry stout according to style guide
Such a supportive post....

At least my oak is up against your oak in the specialities.

Boys..may the better win...all you need to remember that you have a spare bottle to send the national comp

GrumpyPaul said:
I didn't put it in as a speciality....I put it in as a dry stout.
Yob said:
probably crash as a dry stout according to style guide
Sorted....emailed organisers and got it reclassified from a Stout to a Specialty.

GrumpyPaul said:
At least my oak is up against your oak in the specialities.
Now my raspberry is against your oak.

All I can say is....lucky I didn't do a Cherry Stout.

Cause then this conversation would have been....

"I'll pop my cherry with your wood....in the specialties"

and that would have made the following statement even weirder.

Yob said:
You'll give me a pumping there

I'm with Nath on this one ... backs out of room ...

Pitched some healthy yeast slurry from starter on Friday night, Krausen next morning and most of the weekend until last night it had subsided to just the odd bubble. Took a reading with refrac tonight and it was 1.026 which corrected for an OG of 1.054 is 1.008... it tasted great, noticeable ABV% strength, slight but can definitely taste that it would be 6%... although just seems insane that a healthy starter could drop that far that fast, especially for a stout?

EDIT: should add I fermented first 24-36 hours at 22C but it did creep to 23.5C. Then dropped it to 19C slowly (overnight).

I used 004 Irish Ale which is 69-74% apparent attenuation. Brewmate calculates my readings as 85% (too good to be true? 1.008 would be too thin for a stout right? This definitely tasted thick with body) - am inclined to leave in primary for 14 days anyway as in no rush and going to bottle this for next winter. Anyone else used the same yeast that can comment? I will need to take a hydro reading but to avoid wasteage will wait until the 14 days are up to do that, might shed some light on my refrac reading being out?

For me, it's a dry stout, but still has plenty going on, if it's done, it's done, give it a few days at elevated temps and package.

Who says you can't step mash by single infusion ;)

Latest posts

Back