2014 Xmas in July - Vic Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cocko said:
Dont ask much do you carnt....

Ok.

I have some killer shots of jyo, seriously, but I wouldn't do that to mate. ALTHOUGH, they will be available on the day via my phone!

Sorry John, it is only fair that the world sees you in your biking kit! :p

Smallfry, I've hit the gym since that photo. I'm mega buff now!

Cocko- Are we talking the lycra shots?

I can bring-along an extra 50 or 80 Litre boiler to get strike/sparge water heated if that's required? I'm bringing a 4-ring burner to keep my soup hot on the day, so it can easily be re-tasked for the brew & no electricity required.
Yob, 'didn't get a yea/nay on this one? I'm going to Kinglake tomorrow & can grab the boiler(s)if you reckon it/they could be useful?

Sorry mate, didn't see that one.. Grab it, I've a sneaking suspicion that more water on hand at temp will be a good thing, there are a few unknowns well be dealing with so having a backup plan isca good idea..

Swap Day Stout - July 2014

Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8 (Run on a %65 Efficiency)
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 39.3 (EBC): 77.4
Bitterness (IBU): 20.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

78.95% Pale Ale Malt
4.21% Amber Malt
4.21% Carafa I malt
4.21% Chocolate
4.21% Roasted Barley
4.21% Vienna

0.5 g/L (165g) Magnum (14.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (20.5 IBU)

0.1 g/L Calcium Chloride (Mash)
0.1 g/L Calcium Chloride (Boil)

Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1318 - London Ale III or WLP002

How does this look to folks? too high in Spec malts?

We will need to watch gravity and volume pretty closely but should be OK, if we are significantly high in OG we can adjust volume up, still not sure about the Cal Chloride additions because we are adding all the darks in the mash, does anyone have any Cal Carbonate? Id prefer not to use carbonates but if our PH drops low we may need something to adjust...

Cube additions will be in the order of about 75-100g

Thoughts? Swiftly running out of time for organising changes...

Lock it in Eddie!!! Sorry I dont adjust my water yet so cant chime in on pH adjusting.

Might stock the sage road on cube hoping for this and use EKG, ill weigh the plugs I have left and post how much I have to share around.
Got shiteloads if willamette flowers if anyone wants to add some of those?

Hey Yob,
Do you remember any of the numbers we hit for this in terms of OG or the amount of hops that went in? Mash temp/schedule, etc.
(I guess I can measure OG when I crack the cube and it's probably too late to do anything about IBUs now. Just wondering if it will need dilution etc once it's cracked. And really, I'm just kinda curious...)
Cheers.

50kg @ 63c - 75mins
25kg @ 66c - 60mins
15kg @ 72c - 90mins

OG was approx 1.055, but not sure of final numbers. 140g of Warrior went in for approx 75-90mins boil.

Please correct if I am wrong, these are very rough numbers.

50kg @ 63c - 75mins
35kg @ 66c - 60mins
15kg @ 72c - 90mins

OG was approx 1.055, but not sure of final numbers. 140g of Warrior went in for approx 75-90mins boil.

Close enough, OG prior to boil was 1050 or there abouts, can't remember taking one at the end of the boil

Thanks guys!!!
140g Warrior into how much total volume at the end? ... 17 x 20L cubes? 340L is what we finished with? (i thought idzy got a 2nd cube or 2?).
Or rather, does that equate to roughly 8g per cube?
(LOL - 75-90min spread on boil time is a little loose! Is that courtesy of the beers consumed or the time taken to drain the kettle? :lol: )

God damn - how the hell do i put that mash schedule into the spreadsheet?? :unsure:
No matter, i guess the 1.055 at the end of boil is what it's all about ;)

For the record, i'm probably gonna run mine with rinsed MJ British Ale yeast slurry, from the Amber it's currently playing with.

Again, thanks for the massive effort of planning, prep & brew-day hard yakka. The most EPIC brew day, and i was particularly chuffed to able to take part in it.

I'm going to pitch mine tomorrow - will take an OG reading and post it up.

Mines going on a WY1272 starter I'm spinning up now (going down the American stout path).

AJ

nobody got a second cube did they?

I got my 1318 ready to go for tmoz, first batch in the SSFV :beerbang:

Back