2014 Xmas in July - Vic Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technobabble66 said:
Thanks guys!!!
140g Warrior into how much total volume at the end? Yes ... 17 x 20L cubes? No 16 x 20L and 1 x 25L. 340L is what we finished with? 380L, with 5 litres of loses, we probably filled them up with an additional 8.5% wort. (i thought idzy got a 2nd cube or 2?) Although Yob and myself made it quite clear we were waiting until the end, a second cube of mine did magically make it's way back to the filling station, which I found out much later was through some well-intentioned covert operation - fortunately we still managed to fill all the cubes, just... - Yob, I assumed you knew that the guys did this...
Or rather, does that equate to roughly 8g per cube? Yes
(LOL - 75-90min spread on boil time is a little loose! Is that courtesy of the beers consumed or the time taken to drain the kettle? :lol: ) The boil finished and we weren't at the finished volume we wanted, Yob elected to boil for longer, so we did.

God damn - how the hell do i put that mash schedule into the spreadsheet?? :unsure: Good luck with that one, haha.
No matter, i guess the 1.055 at the end of boil is what it's all about ;) That's my guess, someone said 1.060, but I'm not sure.

idzy said:
God damn - how the hell do i put that mash schedule into the spreadsheet?? :unsure: Good luck with that one, haha.
Easy...

Thumb.JPG

Thats how we mostly did it on the day, no brew sheet for volumes, nada...

didnt even have the recipe printed out :lol:

(we knew what we had though)

Yob said:
Easy...

attachicon.gif
Thumb.JPG

Thats how we mostly did it on the day, no brew sheet for volumes, nada...

didnt even have the recipe printed out :lol:

(we knew what we had though)
BAHAHAHAHAH

idzy said:
Or rather, does that equate to roughly 8g per cube? Yes - Bingo - that's good enough for the spreadsheet!
(LOL - 75-90min spread on boil time is a little loose! Is that courtesy of the beers consumed or the time taken to drain the kettle? ) The boil finished and we weren't at the finished volume we wanted, Yob elected to boil for longer, so we did. I kinda suspected a thumb &/or a wet finger in the air was used at some point :D (also applies to yob's post above!)
No matter, i guess the 1.055 at the end of boil is what it's all about That's my guess, someone said 1.060, but I'm not sure. More bingo - also good enough!
Thanks dude.
As i said, i didn't want to be too anal retentive & precise, but i just wanted some kinda estimate for a spreadsheet, so that's all perfect.
Keen to try a stout tastings in 3-4 mo's!

Whoops, forgot. Pitched two nights ago (smells damn fantastic) and the OG I measured with my hydro came in at 1.054. Don't have a refractometer though.

anybody else fermented theirs out? I checked the other day and mine was at 1020, just wondering where it will stop roughly?

wlp005 for me 1.054 seems a bit on the lower side ;(

Just checked mine - it's at 1.012 a week after I pitched.

Edit: should add it's tasting rather nice, roasty but smooth even after just seven days.

Bottled mine last weekend - will report back in a few weeks time once carbed up.

Was damn fine warm and flat right out of the fermenter...

After further deliberation, i'm still heavily considering adding a tin of BR Amber LME to mine & converting it to an Imperial Stout.
If necessary i'll add some extra bitterness later (maybe); though i calculated the bitterness (as i discovered i'd added possibly an excess of hops to the cube) and it seems to be a little off the charts for the GU:BU graph on ianh's spreadsheet.

I have 2 questions (to start with ;-P )...

1) How should i add the LME? I can obviously just chuck it in at the start of fermentation however i'm under the impression for Imperial-type brews, it's better to add the extra fermentables halfway through the fermentation - something about preventing the yeasties from getting lazy?

2) i was going to rinse & re-use the MJ British Ale yeast i currently have in my FV. Should this be ok (for generally a stout [should be], but more so for an Imperial?)? Or should i use the MJ Dark Ale sachet (or any other MJ strain) i've got sitting in the fridge (i'd rather not use a new sachet unless the MJ BA is no good)?

Thanks!

got my yeast and wort..but can't ferment :(..have to get ready for Bayside Oktoberfest so the fermenter needs to be at 10degC :(

Pitched mine last Thursday night (about midnight) using a 1 litre starter of wyeast 1728 OG was 1.057

Took a reading Saturday lunch time SG is 1.037

a 20 point drop in about 36hours

Checked it again Monday night SG1.018.

Stay tuned for progress updates

Having a breakfast stout this morning... we have indeed done well with this, still early days on my Drambuie Oak but it's effing divine.

:icon_drool2:

Mine will have had three weeks in the bottle as of tomorrow - just snuck one in the fridge for tasting tomorrow evening.

Bottled some (16 * 500ml Grolsch bottles) and kegged and force carbed the rest.

Having a taster out of the keg and this is delicious....

Thanks to AJ80 for the inspiration to rack this onto raspberries. I think I am going to enjoy this very much.

I've just done the same thing, racked it onto 2 kilos of raspberries yesterday. Was sitting on WL007 for 12 days before that

Latest posts

Back