2014 Xmas in July - Vic Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Rather than it getting bogged down in the main discussion thread, lets discuss recipe and equipment here. Having a look through the recipe DB Ive found this, I had a rough play this morning with upscaling the recipe as follows.

Original Recipe

Recipe: 4 shades
Brewer: DrSmurto
Style: Dry Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 33.55 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 88.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 79.37 %
0.30 kg Barley, Flaked (3.9 EBC) Grain 4.76 %
0.25 kg Amber Malt (43.3 EBC) Grain 3.97 %
0.25 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (817.6 EBC) Grain 3.97 %
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (1100.0 EBC) Grain 3.97 %
0.25 kg Roasted Barley (1300.0 EBC) Grain 3.97 %
15.00 g Green Bullet [13.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.9 IBU
25.00 g Green Bullet [13.50 %] (20 min) Hops 20.1 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187)

upscaled recipe for 300l output

[SIZE=9.5pt]5.00 kg Pale Malt (80kg)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]0.30 kg Barley (4.8kg)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]0.25 kg Amber Malt (4kg)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]0.25 kg Carafa (4kg)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (4kg)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]0.25 kg Roasted Barley (4kg)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]15.00 g Green Bullet (240g)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]25.00 g Green Bullet (400g)[/SIZE]
Total Grain Weight: 100 odd kg :blink:

Still open to other suggestions keeping in mind that we probably wont get away with anything Imperial or with ******* Oats. (maybe just a touch if we want but it aint all going in my MT) ;)

Yob said:
upscaled recipe for 300l output

[SIZE=9.5pt]0.25 kg Amber Malt (4kg)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (4kg)[/SIZE]
Holy shit hopman! Thats a lot of grain. Im getting a decent amount of amber in the grain BB. Happy to supply the amber.

Is it even possible to anticipate the efficiency with such a large grist? I thought the higher you go the lower the efficiency, or is that just for BIAB?

Are we going with a stout, or are you just throwing this out there, Yob?

Fwiw, I'm happy to go down the stout route - I need to brew one anyway. I just thought there were some other suggestions floating around also (eg: gulden draak, etc)

Midnight Brew said:
Holy shit hopman! Thats a lot of grain. Im getting a decent amount of amber in the grain BB. Happy to supply the amber.
Can I contribute some Amber also? I've got 7kgs that I bought thinking Amber was a slightly different type of malt. I could easily offload 3-4kgs. Wanna split the required amount, MB?

No crystal in the recipe??

Well, I've got 10Kg of Choc. available, so it's an easy one for me.

Sure thats about 2kg each

[SIZE=9.5pt]0.25 kg Amber Malt (4kg) Midnight Brew/Technobabble[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (4kg)[/SIZE] MartinOC

I can also throw in several kgs of base, however I've only got wey boh pils & Simpson MO (or wheat & Vienna).
Would any of that help, or is it best to stick to the specific grains?

technobabble66 said:
Are we going with a stout, or are you just throwing this out there, Yob?

Fwiw, I'm happy to go down the stout route - I need to brew one anyway. I just thought there were some other suggestions floating around also (eg: gulden draak, etc)
Just throwing it out there but seems to have gained legs, still happy to look at other recipes.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Is it even possible to anticipate the efficiency with such a large grist? I thought the higher you go the lower the efficiency, or is that just for BIAB?

eff. will possibly be reduced, depends on the system, will be a bit of suck it and see no matter what we brew.

technobabble66 said:
I can also throw in several kgs of base, however I've only got wey boh pils & Simpson MO (or wheat & Vienna).

its probably less important as its a stout, but lets see what comes out of the wash, plenty of time yet to get it all sorted, just good to get people thinking about it early instrad of throwing it together ina panic at the last moment.. though both ways make beer :lol:

:icon_cheers:

I just looked up that gulden draak,

I dunno mate, I rekon we may be pushing to get that high an ABV out of mix matched, never used systems, personally, I'd rather aim low(ish) and do well than aim high and fail miserably, but happy to go with the flow and general consensus.

Would any of that help, or is it best to stick to the specific grains?
Simpsons MO would be a perfect pale malt for this kind of beer.

Yob said:
I just looked up that gulden draak,

I dunno mate, I rekon we may be pushing to get that high an ABV out of mix matched, never used systems, personally, I'd rather aim low(ish) and do well than aim high and fail miserably, but happy to go with the flow and general consensus.
Hey no sweat. If you wanna shoot down the hopes & dreams of the gulden draak brewers out there that's fine by me!
Only kidding :lol: that totally makes sense to avoid a high grav brew.

Fwiw, I've got a fairly simple recipe for Theakstons Old Peculier, an Old/Dark ale, if people want something slightly lighter than a stout. Might be a bit too simple though: MO+choc+crystal, plus NB+fuggles+EKG.
I'm v keen to brew it either way, so I'm still happy to go with a stout if that's consensus and I'll do the TOP myself.

@mants: thanks. I was kinda thinking a lil' MO should slip perfectly into a stout!

Hey should we maybe start with a poll of what we want to brew, like we did for last year's July swap?

"I'll do the TOP myself"

Hey, Techno. Chill man! There's no need to TOP yourself over a stout B)

Yob, I've got a really versatile porter recipe that you can play with. I'll rustle it up & post here for consensus.

Here 'tis:

Pale - 3.3Kg (68%)
Crystal - 340g (7%)
Amber - 480g (10%)
Chocolate - 290g (6%)
Black - 190g (4%)
Wheat - 240g (5%)

Mash @66C for 2 hours.

Boil 2 hours.

Hopping (Weights are for whole hops - adjust for pellets):

Fuggles - 48g (Start of boil)
Goldings - 41g (Start of boil)
Goldings - 25g (last 15 mins)

Approx. 35 IBU

OG - 1042
FG - 1012
ABV - 4%
Final Volume - 23L

I gave this to a mate who stuffed-up his volumes & ended up with something around 6% ABV & it was delicious.

Do we know our desired mash thickness? At 1.25 mash ratio liters/kg, the new MLT will fit 90kg. RB can confirm for his, but I believe around 50 to 55kg?

Can I mash it? - http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Cheers,
Idzy

Latest posts

Back