2014 Xmas in July - Vic Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breakfast stout .. heehee ..lots a left over chocolate and coffee to keep drinking !!!

Happy to throw in some Simpsons MO as well.

I can throw in all the rolled barley..I take it Yob will be supplying the Hops

Do we need to make an order in the grain bulk buy for the Pale malt then split the costs when you bring a cube without a reciepe donation???????

Yep. That woulda been super smart!
Easily could've grabbed 1 bag of PA, & probably safely assumed we'd use a bag of MO, regardless of what we brew. Covering 50kgs in the current BB would've definitely reduced the difficulty of gathering 100kgs of grain.
Good luck convincing cocko to go with it!! I think we're a few days late. Mind you, if we could v v quickly get a general agreement that we'll all throw $5-$10 in to cover 50kgs of base, we might b able to squeak something through tmrw(?).
Maybe Yob could hv a word with him. They seem to hv a special relationship :lol:

Im sweet with chipping in for grain from bulk buy or otherwise, I dont have any grain at home so money is all I can offer :p

If we're looking at three sacks+ of the pale malt (and I'm gunning for Maris Otter :) ) it'll be easier for one person to get it and folks to just shoot some cash their way on the day.

I'm volunteering. Of course we have to settle on recipe first, but if we're looking at multiple sacks of one malt for whatever recipe I'm happy to organize.

I like the look of both the Stout and Martin's Porter. Look like good recipes.

As I think I said earlier, by the time we are ready to buy ingredients, it will be time for another bulk buy. Brew day is late June.

We should try to get one organised for the weekend prior to brew day I reckon.

I dont really have a clue about what to expect with what we will get out of the grain, but would it be possible to mash and get the stout out then partigyle the porter with the batch. That way then we can ferment both!?

My vote is for the Porter

The stout we brewed at the swap day I hosted sat in a cube for 6 months & I've only just started giving away bottles to mates

Yob said:
... I can get base malt Pretty cheap so no worries on that score
Well, that's that sorted then!
Just so long as you don't have to do anything too extreme to get that deal on base, Yob. There's rumours about Cocko...

breakbeer said:
... & I've only just started giving away bottles to mates
Wow. Thems fightin' words, dude!!
Are you kidding me?! I thought that stout was great, and i've been trying to horde it :p

I like DJ LEthal's suggestion of Stout + partigyle Porter, if that's doable... If we go ahead with a stout, that is.

So the current main suggestions are Stout & Porter?
What about US/UK Brown or Red ale? Dunkel?

What about a Mild? Before i get ridiculed, i'm just thinking that it would lighten the grain/mash requirement significantly, and supposedly there's a few out there that really love their Milds.

Is it worth trying to ascertain if there's a general preference for a more hoppy or malty brew to try and steer the selection?

Forgot - stand corrected.

So what are the basic Malty options?
Stout,
Porter,
Brown,
Dunkelweizen (Munich) & Weizenbock,
Old,
Amber,
Red,
Scotch,
ESB,
Mild,
Lager (Vienna, Oktoberfest, Altbier, Dark, Bock, Doppelbock).

Does that cover all reasonable options to consider for the Big Brew-Up?

If it'd be too hard to do a stout (or other malty beer), then a porter, maybe a stout (or other malty beer) and partigyle a mild? Don't know whether it's too complex to arrange but could even organise more people n on the brew with cubes, those who prefer milds can get cubes of that etc

I've obviously missed the parent thread, but wtf are u guys mashing 100kgs in? And what on earth is the kettle?

Back