2014 Xmas in July - Vic Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If any of you guys have made beer at a case swap before, realise that everything that can go wrong will and everything takes three times as long as it should.

That said, go for broke with an imperial partigyle decocted step mash. Been done before, should be done again. The world is an oyster stout.

Grainer said:
Id go an imperial stout
Serious trouble awaits that road, we don't have a known system...

I really do suggest something below 1060... Especially given current output requirements

stakka82 said:
I've obviously missed the parent thread, but wtf are u guys mashing 100kgs in? And what on earth is the kettle?
We will be putting together a couple of systems, one of the fellas has a 600lt kettle. Still a bit of logistical head scratching to be done but I'm sure it'll come together, usually does ;)

Might need a few grain mills on the day too. More than happy to bring my drill powered one

Hell yeah we will , might even be worth milling the night before. Getting equipment all sorted the weekend prior possibly as well.

Yob said:
Hell yeah we will , might even be worth milling the night before. Getting equipment all sorted the weekend prior possibly as well.
Now that equipment thing is a fine idea...but what if idzy needs his kettle for a 500 litre batch the week before?

Mardoo said:
Now that equipment thing is a fine idea...but what if idzy needs his kettle for a 500 litre batch the week before?
Don't mention the war...... :p

Trying to get a picture in my head of the system,

Idzys kettle is ample, he also has a 200l esky MT, combined with my MT we could almost achieve volume but that'd be running at Max so not ideal, so we could probably do with 3 MT's ??

I think if we have the 200l HLT + mine we should be right for strike / sparge

Yob said:
Trying to get a picture in my head of the system,

Idzys kettle is ample, he also has a 200l esky MT, combined with my MT we could almost achieve volume but that'd be running at Max so not ideal, so we could probably do with 3 MT's ??

I think if we have the 200l HLT + mine we should be right for strike / sparge
Wow. I'm learning.

Systems

Yob - 100 litre output system (120l Kettle)

RB - 200 litre kettle and 130 litre mash tun + whiteferret - 32 jet mongolian burner and 200L drum if we need it.

Idzy - 600 litre kettle and 200 litre mash tun + Midnight Brew - High Pressure Stockpot Burner - HP200LPWF

@ WF and RB - If we use both these 200l vessels as HLT's and we can pump from them to the MT's it looks like we are pretty well sorted... it looks to me like we could even manage to get about about 400l output if we tried a little harder..

:lol: :blink:

Mardoo said:
May be a stupid question but who's bringing the pumps?
I can supply a moveable "plug 'n' play" March pump (Cam-lock fittings) & might be able to commandeer a mate's portable dual-pump trolley (1 x March pump, 1 x Industrial monster thing that doesn't belong in a homebrewery, but **** does it move liquid quickly!!).

MartinOC said:
...but **** does it move liquid quickly!!).
Well, we know who's bringing the potty mouth on the day. :p

I have an 809 that should be good to go, spare pumps won't go astray though, not sure if the other systems are set up for cam locks?

Camo6 said:
Well, we know who's bringing the potty mouth on the day. :p
Oh, come on!! At least I didn't say "poo" or "wee-wees"!!! :eek:

Yob said:
I have an 809 that should be good to go, spare pumps won't go astray though, not sure if the other systems are set up for cam locks?
Cam-locks aren't a problem. Easily changed-out for snap-on's if required (I have both). All subject to cooperation between brewers on the day (hopefully beforehand!!!).

Edit: BTW, is there any consensus on a recipe/plan before we start talking about system requirements? 'Just thinking cart/horse stuff...?

Thought we settled on the stout? Open to ideas, whatever it is we need ~350 liters of it so system I think is almost more important than the recipe. ;)

Open to suggestions for other recipes and happy to go with the flow... Still plenty of time though.

So I thought I'd pull a brew session yesterday, ~18kg grist, not quite sure how I settled on 90L batch size but there you go.. I ended up with 3 chockas cubes and one at about 18l (fermenting it today ala Manticle in the cube) and given that the 3 full cubes are my somewhat bulbous stretched ones I think we can assume 5 cubes from my system, (if we are using that 600l monster kettle were only talking my MT anyway) So in the end I ended up with 90ish L of 1056 wort so if we are aiming for something in the order of 1050 we are going to get home pretty well... I was surprised that my eff didnt drop at all for the brew, it's the largest grist Ive put throught the system.. apart from the swap at breakbeer's gaff last year.

Thats from a 75L MT + idzy's 200l we should come pretty close to what we need, of course, the eff from idzy's MT is the great unknown here... good to get a handle on that prior to committing for the swap day... as we all know, it's the dotting I's and crossing T's that make a significant reduction in the amount of Manticle's arm hair that makes it into the brew :lol:

I dont care what the final recipe is... but there will be no oats going into my MT ;) the thing worked like a dream yesterday.. given the size of the grist I changed to a double batch sparge from my usual fly sparge too and think I saved some time there so feeling pretty good about the capability of the on site system.

:ph34r:

Equipment options
Confirmed:
Yob - 100 litre system
RB - 200 litre kettle and 130 litre mash tun
Idzy - 600 litre kettle and 200 litre mash tun
Midnight Brew - High Pressure Stockpot Burner - HP200LPWF
whiteferret - 32 jet mongolian burner and 200L drum if we need it.
Still needed:

Preliminary.jpg

Back