Vic 2009 Xmas Case Swap - Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Managed to put this down last week...

22. Hutch - Nelson Sauvin Pseudo Lager

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Boil Size: 35 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
0.30 kg Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.45 %
0.10 kg Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 1.82 %
0.10 kg Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 1.82 %
17.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (90 min) Hops 18.9 IBU
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (10 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
30.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (0 min) Aroma Hops -
2.00 gm Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
11.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

Single Infusion, Light Body

Notes:
------
Last 30gm NS flowers added to NC cube, probably contributing additional 5-10 IBU's.

Was shooting for a fruity new-world pilsner (Knappstein clone).
Unfortunately not enough time to culture up a good size starter, ferment cold and lager, so I used WY1056 at 16 degrees instead.
Hopefully won't matter too much - it's all about the hops!

oh yeah! Loving the look of this one Brewmeister. :wub: Ringwood :icon_drool2:

Ohhhhhh RINGWOOD! Way to read the recipe! :rolleyes: I thaught he was calling it Ringwood because he is from Croydon! :lol:
Hopefully there is still some in the bottle as interested in trying out this bad boy. See what all the fuss is about.

Was shooting for a fruity new-world pilsner (Knappstein clone).
Unfortunately not enough time to culture up a good size starter, ferment cold and lager, so I used WY1056 at 16 degrees instead.
Hopefully won't matter too much - it's all about the hops!

Hutch, looks magnificent! I cant wait to get my lips around it. The good thing with this swap there are alot of light beers. Perfect way to see how good everyones brewing skills really are, nothing to hide behind! Going from the last swap im sure we are in for some killer beers!

Cheers!

Ohhhhhh RINGWOOD! Way to read the recipe! :rolleyes: I thaught he was calling it Ringwood because he is from Croydon! :lol:
Hopefully there is still some in the bottle as interested in trying out this bad boy. See what all the fuss is about.

Hutch, looks magnificent! I cant wait to get my lips around it. The good thing with this swap there are alot of light beers. Perfect way to see how good everyones brewing skills really are, nothing to hide behind! Going from the last swap im sure we are in for some killer beers!

Cheers!

Looks like I'll be hiding behind something. Swap beer is now likely to be either American Brown Ale, English Brown ale or English Amber. I do have another paler beer to choose from as well. Intended swap beer is nigh on undrinkable.

Decisions will be made when each one has carbed enough so a few weeks yet.

Looks like I'll be hiding behind something. Swap beer is now likely to be either American Brown Ale, English Brown ale or English Amber.

I'll be hiding as well, under a blanket of Rye, which is turn is hidden by a layer or 5 of hops. I'm comfortable with that.

Looks like I'll be hiding behind something. Swap beer is now likely to be either American Brown Ale, English Brown ale or English Amber. I do have another paler beer to choose from as well. Intended swap beer is nigh on undrinkable.
Bummer Mants! I have been pumped up to try your light coloured wares! Atleast if it is buggered we can always break it down for you as to what might have gone wrong. Do you have any suspicions what might be the issue with it? Im still praying the sulfur notes dissipate from mine. Fingers are well and truely crossed. If i have a failure i have always got a Aussie Ale im fermenting out atm. Perfect replacement! Only issue is it has no rice! :ph34r:

I'll be hiding as well, under a blanket of Rye, which is turn is hidden by a layer or 5 of hops. I'm comfortable with that.

Mmmmmm im drooling for this one Maple. Ive only had a couple of rye beers. I wish my LHBS got rye in often. :( He doesnt stock it often anymore as no one really buys it! <_< I might have to entice him to rethink that and try and get Fents and a few others to assure him it will have a regular turnover!

Bummer Mants! I have been pumped up to try your light coloured wares! Atleast if it is buggered we can always break it down for you as to what might have gone wrong. Do you have any suspicions what might be the issue with it?

Not experienced enough to know but my suspicion is starch haze. I'm surpised though because efficiency was a couple of points higher than expected. I'll bring some along for diagnostics. I also see it as a challenge to successfully brew a pilsner so I'll knock it on the head for one or another swap. Light coloured wares will happen at some point but I wouldn't wish this example on 25 other internet strangers.

Not experienced enough to know but my suspicion is starch haze. I'm surpised though because efficiency was a couple of points higher than expected. I'll bring some along for diagnostics. I also see it as a challenge to successfully brew a pilsner so I'll knock it on the head for one or another swap. Light coloured wares will happen at some point but I wouldn't wish this example on 25 other internet strangers.

Hmm, if it is starch haze i'd say it will flocc out eventually but when that is could be anyones guess. Is it only the cosmetic issue or has it been quite detrimental on the flavour as well?

Brewmeister, I'm keen to try out this mystical Ringwood yeast as well.

Do you think you could chuck some slurry in a couple of stubbies for the informal case-swap slurry-sub-swap?

oh yeah! Loving the look of this one Brewmeister. :wub: Ringwood :icon_drool2:

What temp are you fermenting at?

It's actually White Labs 005 which is the same yeast (I was too lazy to change it in the original recipe). It's going at 19-degrees with one fermenter starting at 21 and the other at 17, which should be interesting. Obviously, I'll put the best one in bottles for the swap. There was originally going to be some spacial B in this but a mate talked me out of it.

I bought 2 vials and made a 2-litre starter on the stir plate thinking it was going to get made the week before but I ran out of steam and made it this weekend instead.

Brewmeister, I'm keen to try out this mystical Ringwood yeast as well.

Do you think you could chuck some slurry in a couple of stubbies for the informal case-swap slurry-sub-swap?

No problem guys. It'll be there on the day :)

Hmm, if it is starch haze i'd say it will flocc out eventually but when that is could be anyones guess. Is it only the cosmetic issue or has it been quite detrimental on the flavour as well?

Flavour is not what I would describe as pleasant. It seems kind of salty. It's not an infection as far as I can work out. Cosmetic issues don't trouble me too much if the beer tastes good but this doesn't.

I will be keeping the bottles for as long as I can to see if it improves. A chimay white clone that was cloudy after a few weeks in the bottle has recently clarified so I have hopes. I'm assuming that whatever is causing the cloudiness is also what's responsible for the flavour so if one drops I may be able to say goodbye to the other.

I'll put the best one in bottles for the swap. There was originally going to be some spacial B in this but a mate talked me out of it.

Very much looking forward to this one, going on the recipe. I made some cracking Best Bitters this winter using Ringwood for the first time. It's got an awesome character that works well with moderate hopping levels, and low carbonation.

In fact, looks like we're in for some top beers judging by all the recipes posted - and quite a few new AG-converts in the list.
Just dissapointed that I can't make the swap day at Kleiny's. Should be a top day.

Hey all, here is my APA.

Type: All Grain

Date: 11/10/2009
Batch Size
:
83.00 L
Brewer: dingo
Boil Size: 100.00 L
Boil Time: 90 min

16.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.65 %
0.75 kg Munich Malt - 10L (17.7 SRM) Grain 4.25 %
0.75 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.25 %
0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 0.57 %
0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 0.28 %
20.00 gm Galaxy [13.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
30.00 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 11.7 IBU
19.00 gm Pearle [6.70 %] (30 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
40.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
10.00 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
6.50 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
3.00 gm Galaxy [13.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Est Original Gravity
:
1.048 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Measured Final Gravity
:
1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.66 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.34 %
Bitterness: 26.8 IBU
Calories
: 508 cal/l
Est Color: 5.4 SRM
Color
:
Color

Having a cleanout where we dingo? 6 different hops! Delicious! :icon_drool2:

Pretty much, I keep getting an extra 100 grams of this, or 50 grams of that, so yeah, going through the fridge.

Well the pilsner is still pretty bad but to my delight, the brew I just bottled is tasting fine straight out of the fermenter. I was a bit concerned about this brew as I got more volume than expected and it seemed a bit watery and pale at the beginning. However the colour on bottling seems spot on and I wouldn't describe it as even close to watery. I added an extra touch of specialty malts (steeped and boiled) which are included in these amounts (between 25 and 50 g of each) so the calculations might not be exact (also original batch size was intended to be 22). Even better I've got an extra 7 bottles worth so I can check its progress without concern that I'll be light on final amounts. I know dark beers are better suited for winter but what can you do? I still have a hefeweizen that tastes great (perfect hints of banana and clove without too much of either) which is sitting at 1010 so there's still a chance I'll change again.

Style: Robust Porter
Type: All grain
Size: 26 liters
Color: 52 HCU (~22 SRM)
Bitterness: 28 IBU
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.015
Alcohol: 6.1% v/v (4.8% w/w)

Grain: 6kg JW Ale
150g Dingeman's biscuit
150g JW light crystal
75gJW chocolate
75g JW black patent
150g Roasted Barley

Mash: 60 mins 70% efficiency 67 degrees
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.040 34 liters
Hops: 20g Fuggles (4.75% AA, 45 min.)
30g Kent Goldings (5% AA, 45 min.)

Yeast: Wyeast 1099 Whitbread

Notes: Caramelise approx 6-8 L first runnings until thick syrup.

Primary: 7 days
Secondary 7 days
Cold condition @ 2 deg 5 days
Fine with gelatine
Primed to 2.4 vol.
Bottle condition 4 weeks

Managed to get my batch brewed today. A very long day, as I had to make a stand for the new grain mill and learn to use it efficiently. (sounds dead easy when you put it in a single sentence.) :huh: Turned urn on a 8:30am and mashed in a 3pm. :p

Anyway, here is the recipe:

Recipe: Chute Inn Bright Ale
Brewer: Ken
Asst Brewer: could have used one of these to feed the 9kg of grains into the mill
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Boil Size: 52.03 L
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 7.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
6.50 kg Pilsner Malt (3.0 EBC) Grain 72.22 %
1.80 kg Vienna Malt (8.0 EBC) Grain 20.00 %
0.70 kg Wheat Malt (2.5 EBC) Grain 7.78 %
14.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (45 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
14.00 gm Saaz [8.00 %] (45 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (20 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
20.00 gm Saaz [8.00 %] (20 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
30.00 gm Saaz [8.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
2.11 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [CulturedYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 kg
----------------------------
Double Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 16.90 L of water at 56.7 C 50.0 C
50 min Saccrification Add 15.02 L of water at 92.9 C 67.8 C
10 min Mash Out Add 15.02 L of water at 95.8 C 76.0 C

Got about 43L @ OG 1044. Cooling in an ice bath right now. (well one half anyway, other half no-chill). I had no carapils so upped the other grains and increased the mash temp.

Latest posts

Back