Vic 2009 Xmas Case Swap - Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah I know what you mean Fourstar... I think the next iteration I will dial things back a bit to see how it comes out, but it worked well first time around B)
Cheers,
Brendo

Simplest changes would be to get rid of one of the two crystals with the same EBC (JW and/or bairds) value and you could probabaly offset the carapils just for the wheat or vice verca (most likly do away with the carapils as all you are getting is head retention and body, the wheats doing the head work for you already)

Atleast then you are down to 6 grains! Pale, Munich, Wheat, Light Crystal (Carared), Medium Crystal, Choc

At around 12~ SRM its pretty light in colour considering the malt bill. Is it really as light as reported (23.8EBC) to the eye?

Brewed this on Tuesday (6/10), all went pretty smoothly, nice easy brew day after a 6 week layoff due to be OS (and busy). Yeast pitched last night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Galaxy Amber (case swap)
if this is the recipe for that bottle of Galaxy amber you gave me to try, i can vouch for it being very tasty.

Simplest changes would be to get rid of one of the two crystals with the same EBC (JW and/or bairds) value and you could probabaly offset the carapils just for the wheat or vice verca (most likly do away with the carapils as all you are getting is head retention and body, the wheats doing the head work for you already)

Atleast then you are down to 6 grains! Pale, Munich, Wheat, Light Crystal (Carared), Medium Crystal, Choc

At around 12~ SRM its pretty light in colour considering the malt bill. Is it really as light as reported (23.8EBC) to the eye?

I actually ran out of carapils, so the wheat was a late sub... but def take your feedback on board...

It is pretty light, the first batch came out as a nice clear red/copper. it will probably make an appearance at the next melb brewers meeting...

Maple - I noticed in the wiki that you've crossed out the Tribute to Brewdog? How come? I was kinda excited about trying it. Excited and scared at the same time :)

In other news, had a sample on the weekend of my swap IPA. The one I had was bottled a week after the case swap batch (same recipe, different batch), and it was still carbing up. Tasted damn fine though! I'm thinking that come swap time it'll be just about right for ya'll

First time using Simcoe for bittering - there is a whole lot of IBU's there, and you can taste every single one of 'em, but it's a smooth bitterness at the same time. Not metallic, or harsh.

First time using Simcoe for bittering - there is a whole lot of IBU's there, and you can taste every single one of 'em, but it's a smooth bitterness at the same time. Not metallic, or harsh.

Get the mop ready for Maple and I, there is a slip hazard from all the drool. :icon_drool2:

Get the mop ready for Maple and I, there is a slip hazard from all the drool. :icon_drool2:
LOL!

Well, I'm still a brewing newbie, but I've been happy with my last few brews, and I'm REAL happy with this one, so hopefully the mess on the floor isn't misplaced :)

The Simcoe was actually a late substitute, as the first IPA I made I used Nugget - was happy with it but couldn't get any when it came to getting the stuff for this batch, so ended up "settling" for Simcoe. I think the lack of availability may have been divine intervention

Maple - I noticed in the wiki that you've crossed out the Tribute to Brewdog? How come? I was kinda excited about trying it. Excited and scared at the same time :)

In other news, had a sample on the weekend of my swap IPA. The one I had was bottled a week after the case swap batch (same recipe, different batch), and it was still carbing up. Tasted damn fine though! I'm thinking that come swap time it'll be just about right for ya'll

I stuffed it, totally forgot to add in an entire variety of grain - waaaayyy too bitter for general public release (will possibly have a few bottles on hand at the swap for those interested. went back to old faithful, me house Rye.

I stuffed it, totally forgot to add in an entire variety of grain - waaaayyy too bitter for general public release (will possibly have a few bottles on hand at the swap for those interested.
Bugger. Well, probably won't be making it on the day, but I'd still be interested in trying it - there is no such thing as "too bitter", at least, not in my experience to date! Let me know and I'll send a couple of extra's up with my pack mule for ya

NO DRINKING UNTIL MASH IN!

you didnt mntion that to me. funny as.
That must have been my attempted AFD...but still sticking to the above rule...maybe sometimes at grain craick, but not before..

The grain bill for mine is not that inspiring, but it should turn out to be a good flavoursome brew.

PUMPKIN BEER (might need a better name)

Grain bill / adjuncts
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.30 kg Fruit - Pumpkin (0.0 EBC) Adjunct 35.12 %
2.25 kg Pilsner Malt Powells (3.0 EBC) Grain 34.35 %
2.00 kg Ale Malt Powells (4.5 EBC) Grain 30.53 %

Hop / spice schedule
Amount Item Type % or IBU
15.00 gm Target [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.25 items Nutmeg (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.50 items Cinnamon Stick (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.50 items Irish Moss (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
5.00 items Allspice berries (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
10.04 gm Ginger Root (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Yeast
1 Pkgs SafAle American (DCL Yeast #US-05) [Starter 200 ml] Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.042 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.14 %
Est Bitterness: 14.3 IBU
Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 5.8 EBC

No chilled. I may need to roast more pumpkin and add to fermenter, and perhaps more spices/hops. I will check it out.

:unsure: Uh oh. I've got problems now! This brew watered the rhubarb & herb patch yesterday, as out of the fermenter I was getting a smackingly sour taste with a sort of thin & oily mouthfeel. The 25L brew foamed right of the airlock on the 30L fermenter like a possessed thing, so I'm thinking I've had an infection. 1st time - noooo!

I'm going to brew up a late entry for the swap on Tuesday arvo - but I need help with ideas! Here's what I have on hand (attached image):
Any ideas about what to brew? I'm clutching at straws now! Cheers.
inventory.jpg

Possibly a honey wheat beer Notung

all you need is some orange blossom honey from harcourt just down the rd

Kleiny

I was going to suggest wheat or wit too as it won't need much conditioning time.

Hallertauer/tettnang for light hopping.

Belgian Witbier or an American Wheat beer. Im interested in whipping an American out this summer. A light summer quaffer with an allsorts of hops! Delish!

Latest posts

Back