Vic 2007 X-mas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, just had a taste of the Swap extras, and was quite impressed. one of my best efforts yet. Have no idea on Style guidelines, or even a clue to how these compare to other brewers but really looking forward to hearing the feedback on what ya'll think. Might just be a personal taste thing, but think I got this one right where i wanted it. Bring on the election day Swap Day!

Maple

pre-edit, edit: might have had 2 or 3...apologies, but feeling pretty happy now :icon_drunk:

post edit: freekin spel chekin

nothing to see here move along now. :icon_drunk:

I drank what was left in the bottom of the fermenter after bottling the other day, therefore proving that it is indeed 'drinkable'. I drank that bitch good. If I can have a few glasses while it is flat and room temperature, surely with bubbles and some chill, it should be 'very drinkable'. :D

Thanks for bringing that up Peels, and for the offer :icon_cheers:
I think it would only be fair to pass it on to one of the attending brewers on the day, maybe another noob wheat brewer.
I've got a couple of craftbrewer weizen's in the mail to get me going, so I'll cut my teeth on those before getting more adventurous.

Cheers.

Peels, I'll take the yeast if its up for grabs, I've only recently started brewing Weizens and will be at the swap.

Peels, I'll take the yeast if its up for grabs, I've only recently started brewing Weizens and will be at the swap.
Its all yours Voota. I will bring it to the swap with me.

Cheers from NZ
Peels

I just put my Ordinary Bitter in the bottle and it is a nice colour smells good and it doesn't taste to bad from the hydro sample I sipped.

Looking forward to the day.

good to see i'm not the only late bottler. the batch has been CC'ing the past week or so while I was off on holidays in NSW, I'm about to go out and clean some bottles, ready to bottle tomorrow afternoon.

good to see i'm not the only late bottler. the batch has been CC'ing the past week or so while I was off on holidays in NSW, I'm about to go out and clean some bottles, ready to bottle tomorrow afternoon.

Well... I bottled my case contribution about a month ago... but I'm not at all happy with the sample tasted at bottling time - possible infection. So my replacement contribution is also due to be bottled this weekend.

On another note... some time back in this thread there was a request for people to reconfirm their participation in the swap. Am I right in assuming we still have 24 participants?

Andrei

yup im pretty sure we have 24. if someone pulls a no show I guess we just an extra one of our own back.

So my kolsch 500ml test stubbie blew up last night! now i cant even test it before the 24th! (although i did drink 3/4's of a keg of it 2 weeks ago - lovely.

I know primary was finished cause i checked it over 2 days - i then racked it and lagered it for 3 weeks so im hoping i just overprimed this stubbie and the rest will be fine.

Im now praying actually cause god damn i'll look like a knob if my case is stuffed.

Gotta bring a tear to your eye hey Fents.

Bottled my ACA (which is more of an APA somehow) on Thursday. Tasty though. I used Nottingham yeast for a change, it must be on speed :p , it took a day and a half to ferment.

Lookin' forward to Saturday

1. Fenton - 2565 Kolsch- Dips and Bicks COFIRMED - ATTENDING
2. Peels - Scottish Export Ale 80/ (Scottish ale 1728) - Sausages and Bread - attending sorting day - CONFIRMED
3. Wardhog - ESB -Not attending sorting day - CONFIRMED
4. Spillsmostofit - Belgian Dumb Blonde - Sausages and Bread
5. hairofthedog - super dry nelson pils - chips or nuts CONFIRMED
6. Maple - Rye IPA - not attending swap day - CM2 drop point
7. Thirsty Boy - Hefeweizen -
8. therook - Alt - Attending- will bring somthing - CONFIRMED
9. mark_m - APA/IPA house ale - wasabi dried broad beans - CONFIRMED - ATTENDING
10. apd - Brown ale - Not attending sorting day - CONFIRMED
11. DarkFaerytale - F.E. Stout - probably pasta salad - i'm in
12. Quintrex - belgian IPA? -Attending sorting day - CONFIRMED
13. Allycat - light summer quencher - Probably not attending sorting day - CONFIRMED
14. Andreic - Munich Helles (or Hefe backup) - not attending sorting day - CONFIRMED
15. voota - extra stout - ?? - Attending
16. Citymorgue2 - Hop Ale - Spiced up Pigs in Blankets - Attending sorting day and am a drop off point CONFIRMED
17. Hutch - Flying Dog APA - ??? - CONFIRMED
18. lucas - NS Summer Ale - probably not attending - CONFIRMED
19. Chris Taylor - American Amber Ale - CONFIRMED (not attending)
20. driveitlikeyoustoleit - ACA - Attending
21. 65 Bellett - Ordinary Bitter - Cheese and Crackers
22. wambesi - Honey Wheat Beer - CONFIRMED (Not attending)
23. Cummins - IPA - Attending
24. Lavender - ???

Just updating my swap contribution. Changed from pale ale to brown ale.

So my kolsch 500ml test stubbie blew up last night! now i cant even test it before the 24th! (although i did drink 3/4's of a keg of it 2 weeks ago - lovely.

I know primary was finished cause i checked it over 2 days - i then racked it and lagered it for 3 weeks so im hoping i just overprimed this stubbie and the rest will be fine.

Im now praying actually cause god damn i'll look like a knob if my case is stuffed.

Any more explosions today Fents?

I had a few bottle bombs up in Sydney around this time last year. Damn things caused chain reactions - lost 4 bottles in one explosion and 3 in the next. I put the goggles on, long sleeves and rushed them into the fridge. Over the next couple of weeks I enjoyed the best beer I had ever fermented (a fresh wort pilsener). They were by no means over-carbed. So I had a think about it - the explosions happened on 2 separate days well over 30c. And in each explosion there was a broken coopers stubbie (my test bottles at the time). Then I noticed the coopers stubbies are not very even in shape and some have very thin glass in places...

I have an ESB in bottles that is very lightly carbed - the one I bottled in a PET bottle is bulging and absolutely rock-hard tonight. Its been a hot day - the kind of day that can cause weak bottles to explode!

Did the test bottle have thin glass (e.g. like some of the Schofferhofer bottles)? If you didn't have any further explosions today I'm thinking you're case contribution is probably OK...

cheers,

Andrei

1. Fenton - 2565 Kolsch- Dips and Bicks COFIRMED - ATTENDING
2. Peels - Scottish Export Ale 80/ (Scottish ale 1728) - Sausages and Bread - attending sorting day - CONFIRMED
3. Wardhog - ESB -Not attending sorting day - CONFIRMED
4. Spillsmostofit - Belgian Dumb Blonde - Sausages and Bread
5. hairofthedog - super dry nelson pils - chips or nuts CONFIRMED
6. Maple - Rye IPA - not attending swap day - CM2 drop point
7. Thirsty Boy - Hefeweizen -
8. therook - Alt - Attending- will bring somthing - CONFIRMED
9. mark_m - APA/IPA house ale - wasabi dried broad beans - CONFIRMED - ATTENDING
10. apd - Brown ale - Not attending sorting day - CONFIRMED
11. DarkFaerytale - F.E. Stout - probably pasta salad - i'm in
12. Quintrex - belgian IPA? -Attending sorting day - CONFIRMED
13. Allycat - light summer quencher - Probably not attending sorting day - CONFIRMED
14. Andreic - Munich Helles (or Hefe backup) - not attending sorting day - CONFIRMED
15. voota - extra stout - ?? - Attending
16. Citymorgue2 - Hop Ale - Spiced up Pigs in Blankets - Attending sorting day and am a drop off point CONFIRMED
17. Hutch - Flying Dog APA - ??? - CONFIRMED
18. lucas - NS Summer "Real Ale" - not attending - CONFIRMED
19. Chris Taylor - American Amber Ale - CONFIRMED (not attending)
20. driveitlikeyoustoleit - ACA - Attending
21. 65 Bellett - Ordinary Bitter - Cheese and Crackers
22. wambesi - Honey Wheat Beer - CONFIRMED (Not attending)
23. Cummins - IPA - Attending
24. Lavender - ???

I ended up putting off bottling until sunday, but it's done at last. been a while since I dry hopped with pellets, I didnt really think about it and used the same bag I've been using with the plugs and flowers. i poured the last 100ml from the fermenter into my glass after bottling and found it's very hoppy, quite literally. smells fantastic, but pour carefully if you're scared of hops :p

I'm going to need to drop my case at someone house sometime before saturday; is spill's place the closest drop off location or is there someone closer to box hill who's willing to take mine in with them?

Gents,

As the day approaches, my list of things to do in preparation grows. The opportunities for dropping off your cases prior to the SwaParty are rapidly diminishing. I'm hoping to be able to have available to offer those who attend perhaps as much as one and a half litres of beer to share as well as a sausage or two.

Thirsty Boy will be perpetrating a brew as I wrangle said sausages into some state of warmth and cleaning up broken glasses, pacifying distraught neighbours and their property auctioneers, etc. Our wet-weather plan is that those who cannot fit into my lounge-room will get wet. If you arrive carrying any One Nation howtovote cards, you may not be admitted (although your case of beer will and you will be asked to explain).

Please remember to bring a couple of dollars and a plastic milk container for Thirsty Boy's decentralised brewinabag fermentation experiment and arrive in such a way that you can depart sensibly...

Allright, an auction. There is some chance that one of us will get drunk enough to buy a house. It should be set aside in perpetuity as the permanent venue for the case swap. Lets see if we can drive the price up to a million (sadly might not have to try too hard)

Do you think we can extort money from the auctioneer to not stagger through his proceedings chundering on the shoes of the bidders?

Back